What if Juneau heli tour is stripped down due to weather?

VT Hokie Cruiser

My family of four is booked on the Juneau helicopter and dogsled trip to Mendenhall Glacier on June 8 thru Princess.

Several knowledgable posters have pointed out that this is the most-cancelled excursion out of Juneau due to weather, and that sometimes they give you the option of just the heli tour but cancel the other features.

Questions:

1. We really want the dogsled experience on the glacier. But if we get "downgraded" late to an offer of a stripped-down tour without the dogsledding, is it worth the cost (about $600 per person). Can someone who has taken the "lesser" tour comment?

2. Do they reduce the cost if you get less of a tour?

3. We are booked on a floatplane tour the next day out of Ketchikan with Island Wings to Misty Fjords. Would a "plain" helicopter tour at Juneau resemble the floatplane experience, such that we should just skip it if we can't go dogsledding?

Thanks for your input. (If it's cancelled altogether we will have another plan for that).

My family of four is booked on the Juneau helicopter and dogsled trip to Mendenhall Glacier on June 8 thru Princess.

Several knowledgable posters have pointed out that this is the most-cancelled excursion out of Juneau due to weather, and that sometimes they give you the option of just the heli tour but cancel the other features.

Questions:

1. We really want the dogsled experience on the glacier. But if we get "downgraded" late to an offer of a stripped-down tour without the dogsledding, is it worth the cost (about $600 per person). Can someone who has taken the "lesser" tour comment?

3. We are booked on a floatplane tour the next day out of Ketchikan with Island Wings to Misty Fjords. Would a "plain" helicopter tour at Juneau resemble the floatplane experience, such that we should just skip it if we can't go dogsledding? Thanks for your input. (If it's cancelled altogether we will have another plan for that).

Or just skip the whole thing? No replies. Perhaps others are also still trying to catch their breath wondering if this is a "for real" post. It would be difficult to spend way more for one or two shore excursions per person than the price of the entire cruise. Do I really, really want to go "there" that badly? If so, go.

the two tours are totally different. the glacier/dogsled tour will be on the snow with the dogsled ride. flying over the fjords is a gorgeous flight with mt goats too be seen along with bears if you are lucky. then you land on a lake and can walk around for awhile. i have flown with michelle and she is a wonderful pilot and gives a wonderful tour. i dont know what princess would do if they cancelled your juneau tour. but i would think they would have a comperable glacier/sled tour in another port you would be going too. see if you can trade off if the juneau one gets cancelled. sorry i cant help you with more info.

have a wonderfu time. happy cruising.

Questions:

3. We are booked on a floatplane tour the next day out of Ketchikan with Island Wings to Misty Fjords. Would a "plain" helicopter tour at Juneau resemble the floatplane experience, such that we should just skip it if we can't go dogsledding?

Yes they most certainly charge you the price of the regular helicopter glacier landing, if that is what you go on. Only you can determine, if this is of interest to you?? You have less than 50% chance of it being offered, likely anyway.

There is no comparism between Misty Fiords which has NO glaciers and a glacier helicopter landing, Along with it being very different aircraft, may depend on your flying experience.

Ah is it worth it is very personal, like you I scheduled this and my wife was :eek: when she saw the cost for 5.

Dogsledding high on a glacier in the snow in summer is very un-natural in reality. But you do get three wonderful experience; helicopter ride with spectacular views, landing and walkabout on snow, and dog sled.

The fact it is so high up does result in many cancelations. I can't personally say I experienced but like you in research was aware of that and my big concern. To minimize disruption I scheduled this as early in the day so if it was canceled I could mimimize the disruption or reschedule, or do just the lower altitude landing.

Oh was it worth it to us? After experience it was a resounding yes from everyone even my wife who was now :D

1962039749_575Flyingoverthestrait.jpg.e0f139e397a3647d32ad56c1d42f6358.jpg

168028667_600Glacierviewfromtheair.jpg.f2e05c08d2ae8a607929704d2c81d251.jpg

847915275_605DogCamp1stoftheday830am.jpg.088ba2c9ed6073d6185fc54c6833d3f6.jpg

206119791_675DogSledding.jpg.4a54ffe3a2552e52cef64613eb598937.jpg

597966663_680Meetingthepups.jpg.87797fb175a17b23eb4b7781da7852a2.jpg

Archived