How do bags work when boarding the ship?

tostadas

I'm new to this whole cruising thing. I read about them taking your "check in" bags to the rooms at some point during the day. I'm a bit confused about the terminology here. On the airplane, i plan to bring 1 rolling "carry-on" and 1 duffel "personal bag" (no check-in luggage).

how does this translate into carry-on and check-in bags for the ship, and what happens to my bags when I get on and off the ship?

thanks

When you arrive, you'll give your bags to one of the porters out in front of the terminal, and you CAN give them your carry on bag from the plane as well if you want. Then whatever bags you hand over will (hopefully) be delievered to your cabin at some point that afternoon/evening of embarkation.

Any bags that you have with you, you have to lug around until the cabins are ready (cleaned from previous cruisers), normally around 1:30-2:00 I believe.

Debarkation, you have several choices.

Traditional debarkation (waiting around the morning you leave the ship until your number/deck is called), you put your bags out before midnight the night before debarkation and the crew picks them up. Then you find them in the port after you clear Customs.

Self-debarkation, you lug it all yourself and go when the general "self-debarkation" announcement is made in the morning.

Luggage Express you pay $20 per person for. You supply the Guest Services desk with your flight info, then they check you in for your flight, print out your boarding passes for you and give you special luggage tags. Then you put your luggage out by midnight (like traditional debarkation, mentioned above) and you don't see your bags until you arrive at your final destination the next day. Morning of debarkation they gather everyone together in one place, then start calling groups. You're lead through a speedy Customs line and are ready to roll to the airport.

Hope that helps clear it up!

Let's see....When you arrive at the port there will be an area where you will unload/take your bags and leave them with a porter. The porter will take care of them and see to it that they get loaded in the big "cages" that are then loaded on the ship. I like to tip the porter $2 per bag. These guys are not employed by the cruise line. Each port is a little different but that is essentially it. Just like an airport you will want a carryon with meds and other essentials as your checked bags won't be delivered to your cabin until latter in the day. Generally after 2:00 but before 6:00 with exceptions. Personally we have never had a luggage related incident.

You will have a couple of different options for your luggage at cruise end. All of which will be explained via the Capers and live/taped discussions.

I've got a question for you guys.

I live fifteen minutes from the port, if I take my bags and drop them off first thing in the morning(10-10:30) will they be delivered earlier then if I wait and bring them with us when we actually get on the ship at 1-1:30?

I know it seems rational but I don't know if they deliver by the time the bags are cleared or by deck or what:confused:

Not a big deal, just would like to get them as soon as possible and get unpacked and commence drinking.:D

I live fifteen minutes from the port, if I take my bags and drop them off first thing in the morning(10-10:30) will they be delivered earlier then if I wait and bring them with us when we actually get on the ship at 1-1:30?

I know it seems rational but I don't know if they deliver by the time the bags are cleared or by deck or what:confused:

Not a big deal, just would like to get them as soon as possible and get unpacked and commence drinking.:D

There is just no way to say that dropping off your luggage earlier will mean you get them earlier. That's not to say you won't get it early. Honestly I've never had to wait all that long for it to show up and I have always had it before dinner (early or late seating).

. On the airplane, i plan to bring 1 rolling "carry-on" and 1 duffel "personal bag" (no check-in luggage).

Remember with airline travel you will not be able to pack your toiletries in your carry on.

I carry my bags onto the ship. I dont like to wait for them to deliver them.

Since you are carrying them on the airplane, Id carry them on. Eat lunch when you board until your cabin is ready. No biggie.

Wow! How do you do that? Even on a 5 day I take 2 suitcases and a carry on.

OP, you also have to print out luggage tags when you finish your Fun Pass. Most of us use packing tape to strengthen it then staple to bags.

Leaving your bags early might cause it to be at the bottom of a giant heap. There's no rhyme or reason I've found how luggage gets delivered.

My family of 3 just did a 3-night with 2 carry ons and a backpack. We are master packers. :) It helped that it was on DCL and there was no "elegant" night.

We check everything when we get to port, though. I'd rather not lug the stuff around the ship for a couple of hours.

is that for only one person? or for two?

Do you use everything you pack ?

We got it down to one back and one carry on for two people for 7 days.

It did not seem to matter whether we got to the port early or late. We still got the bags between 3 and 4pm no matter what we did. We are Platinum so they have VIP tags on them, but alot of people on the hall had their luggage well before ours came. I think they must always get put on the bottom of the cages because the luggage gets a bit more damage each time. We have zip luggage that has firm corners and the corners are all creased and bent from having been squished in transit. I don't use my new luggage for cruises - just for car trips and an occasional plane trip.

I have a question about the luggage express thingy...

We've rented a car in Port Canaveral one-way back to Orlando (was cheaper than transfers) and our flight is later in the day (4PM). These are my concerns:

1) Does it make any difference if we are driving ourselves to the airport?

2) Will CCL be able to check my luggage at the airline so soon before my flight?

It's very enticing because of the pre-printing of boarding passes as well as the security of my luggage (which I'd be concerned about leaving in a rental car while we do some free-time stuff before flying out).

Checked baggage is really for whatever luggage won't fit thru the scanner, which is similar in size to the one at the airport for carry-ons.

If you decide to check any bags with the porters outside of the port, be very sure you don't have anything in them of value! Any cameras, iPods, jewelry, or the like should be in a bag that you carry on with you. Also remember to have your documentation at hand! That includes your ID, passport, cruise paperwork-- that sort of thing.

Also, experienced cruisers tend to pack a change of clothes in their carry-ons... just in case. Every now and then checked baggage doesn't make it onboard with you!

Also, experienced cruisers tend to pack a change of clothes in their carry-ons... just in case. Every now and then checked baggage doesn't make it onboard with you!

I second that.

If you do not receive your luggage by 7pm check by Guest Services. There always seems to be a sea of bags with no tags waiting to be claimed. If your bag is not there let Guest Services know ASAP. They will send out a bulletin describing the bag and its contents. My first cruise our bag was placed inside the next door cabin. Now the luggage is left outside the door.

I have a question about the luggage express thingy...

We've rented a car in Port Canaveral one-way back to Orlando (was cheaper than transfers) and our flight is later in the day (4PM). These are my concerns:

1) Does it make any difference if we are driving ourselves to the airport?

2) Will CCL be able to check my luggage at the airline so soon before my flight?

It's very enticing because of the pre-printing of boarding passes as well as the security of my luggage (which I'd be concerned about leaving in a rental car while we do some free-time stuff before flying out).

Not a problem. They're not concerned in how you get to the airport or when your flight is. They just load it all up and haul it out to the airport together. It's well worth the $$ to me. Stress free is the way to go.

is that for only one person? or for two?

Do you use everything you pack ?

We got it down to one back and one carry on for two people for 7 days.

I wish I could do just a back pack and carry on for myself. HOw do you do that. I am packing a 26" suitcase and a carry on that has wheels. I don't think I pack heavy. I just like to make sure I have enough clothes for 6 days

Archived