Bermuda as a 1st Family trip?

Hello all looking forward to our first cruise me. DH and 2 DD 2 and 5 yrs old which cruise would you guys sugest as a first for us? the 5 night Bermuda or 9 night bermuda/caribean both on Explorer from NJ and is midship better than aft in reference to feeling motion on ship? hoping for decks 7 and up TIA

Hello all looking forward to our first cruise me. DH and 2 DD 2 and 5 yrs old which cruise would you guys sugest as a first for us? the 5 night Bermuda or 9 night bermuda/caribean both on Explorer from NJ and is midship better than aft in reference to feeling motion on ship? hoping for decks 7 and up TIA

A lot of people will disagree, but I think it's usually better to start out with a shorter cruise to find out if you like being on a ship; some people actually don't.

The biggest stress, if that is the word, is keeping things organized in a small space; it may be a little harder with small children but that is just my view.

I always choose midship. I have seen choice aft cabins available but I love the convenience of being near the elevators.

Bermuda is an excellent choice because it is easily doable on your own. Transportation is easy and cheap and you shouldn't have a problem getting where you want to go.

I'd do the longer cruise....if you have the time! Being on a ship is really nice, and not unlike being in a resort hotel. Especially, if you're docked for long periods (Bermuda), you tend to be off the ship (which you've PAID to use) alot.

With 2 children in the cabin with you, get at least a D catagory cabin...that's the larger of the standard cabins....you'll need the space. Cabins are NOT as big as hotel rooms, so floor space is limited. Go as large as your budget allows.

Midship is better for motion...but do realize that you won't be in the cabin except at night....you'll be out and about and doing things...so if you can't get midships...don't fret!

Bermuda is wonderful. Get your self a Tourist book on Bermuda. Google public transportation for Bermuda. There is almost no fast food on Bermuda. Water and ice is very expensive. Do not rent motor scooters, use the buses & fairies. The aquarium is nice, but not very big.

We started out with short cruise and have worked up to an 12 nighter. Wife has decided 12 is too many. Our next is 9. For us 7 to 9 works great. I think marci22 is correct, start short and keep going longer till you hit your max.

Yes cabins are small. The more you pay the bigger the cabin. You know your budget.

Just remember that you do not spend much time in your cabin.

With little ones, request early dinning time.

Read Cruise Critic. Ask questions.

Good cruising.

Bermuda is wonderful. Get your self a Tourist book on Bermuda. Google public transportation for Bermuda. There is almost no fast food on Bermuda. Water and ice is very expensive. Do not rent motor scooters, use the buses & fairies. The aquarium is nice, but not very big.

We started out with short cruise and have worked up to an 12 nighter. Wife has decided 12 is too many. Our next is 9. For us 7 to 9 works great. I think marci22 is correct, start short and keep going longer till you hit your max.

Yes cabins are small. The more you pay the bigger the cabin. You know your budget.

Just remember that you do not spend much time in your cabin.

With little ones, request early dinning time.

Read Cruise Critic. Ask questions.

Good cruising.

Totally agree! We took our three kids on a 5 night for their first. It was perfect enough to see if they liked it, but not too long in case it didn't turn out well.

The cabins are tiny, you will be crammed in like sardines, but you spend so little time there, it's not such a big deal. We did adjoining cabins last year, and this time we are trying a family cabin. We'll see how 5 people do with one bathroom for 7 nights! Yikes!

Do the early dining for sure. Get the kids fed and happy, drop them off at the Adventure Ocean area, and go catch a show or just get a drink and relax. Everybody wins!

Bermuda is beautiful and wonderful for adults and teens with its many historic sites as well as great beaches like Horseshoe Bay, but your two children are very young.

May I suggest a better alternative for families with young children if you are willing to fly -- go on Freedom of the Seas on the 7-day Eastern Caribbean itinerary. Freedom is an amazing ship with so much for children to do, including the H20 Zone, ice skating, fun parades, first-class kids clubs, the Cupcake Cafe, the Flowrider, a new movie screen above the main pool and the Dreamworks Experience.

Freedom is one of the best-rated ships in the world for families and nicer than the Explorer, in the opinion of many cruisers. I recommend reading the reviews on both ships on this Web site.

Also, the first "port" on the Eastern Caribbean cruise is Coco Cay, the cruise line's private island, which is perfect for children.

I recommend Bermuda highly in any case but think your kids would enjoy it more when they are bit older. Whatever you choose, have fun!

wow many GREAT input thank you all so much cb thanks for the tip on the D cabin since I have no idea what those letters and numbers mean also the Freddom Cruise sounds wonderful! the only thing we are not very keen lately on flying thats why we are looking at our options here but I will definetly do research on the Freedom.

Hard choice some say go do Bermuda some say go longer gosh what to do for a first cruise with 2 lil ones and also since it is our first cruise I really want to enjoy it DH was so against it until I finally convinced him to atleast try it once:confused:?

Hard choice some say go do Bermuda some say go longer gosh what to do for a first cruise with 2 lil ones and also since it is our first cruise I really want to enjoy it DH was so against it until I finally convinced him to atleast try it once:confused:?

I would suggest taking the shorter trip to Bermuda as your first stab at cruising.

The shorter length will work better if you or anyone else in your family just doesn't like the experience and only having one port of call will help reduce the amount of chaos you'd otherwise have with multiple ports and trying to figure out what to do with your kids in each.

Also check the Family Boards here for advice.

You might also consider Disney Cruiseline although I think the kids' program starts at age 3. My sister just went for a week with her 3 and 5yo and they LOVED the kids' club.

Someone mentioned a toddlers and tots program of some type on Liberty.

If you stick with Bermuda, there are plenty of beaches suitable for little kids and it's easy enough to get there. You can buy a 1 day $12per adult $6per child 5-16 or 2 day $20per adult $10 per child 5-16 (under 5 should be free) transportation pass and have access to all busses and ferries. No negotiating with cab drivers, just go to the stop and get on. http://www.bermuda4u.com/Transport/bermuda_transport_buses_fares.html

me and the hubby are going in october for a 5 night in bermuda

my BIL & SIL are also coming and my SIL told them she WANTS to feel movement and they gave her deck 7 apparently the higher up you are the more you can feel the movement of the ship.

ozzy77 I had no idea I thought the higher the less movement hmm interesting thanks for the info so I guess i'll be looking into decks 7 and 8 now.

To reduce the feeling of motion, try to get as low to the waterline as possible. Also, try to get as close to the center of the ship as possible, both in terms of front to back, and side to side. Thus, an interior cabin on Deck 2, midships would be your best bet. (If, that is, avoiding motion is the prime consideration.)

If you want to feel the motion, do the opposite.

ozzy77 I had no idea I thought the higher the less movement hmm interesting thanks for the info so I guess i'll be looking into decks 7 and 8 now.

ya she said you when you sleep you feel like your on the waves where as the lower decks you feel nothing(we are deck 3 and happy with that) my SIL said "if we dont like it can we trade with our SIL???" I was like NO WAY you asked for it HAHA.

Although it is true that you will feel less motion when you are in the middle of the ship (balance a pencil on your finger and you will see how that is)

IMHO you will miss out on the positives of being on a higher deck.

There's a lot to be said for being closer to the pool and WJ where you will spend a lot of your time while on board. You can waste a lot of time waiting for elevators if you're down below. If you get a balcony you will miss the experience of sitting out there enjoying the sea air (don't forget having room service first thing in the morning at your outdoor table).

You'll only be moving during the day on day 1 and 2 and the last day. The ship moves a little slower during the first 2 days which reduces the motion. The other times you will be in port or tucked in your bed at night. If you are horizontal this tends to reduce the rolling feeling and will actually gently rock you to sleep.

That's just my thoughts on it. On the other hand there is always Bonine.

P.S. Go for the shorter cruise at first. It would be a long vacation with 2 unhappy kids for 9 days.

Thank you all for your input I really do want a balcany room tho, I think they start at deck 6 would that deck midship be good for us? which rooms have you had that you might recommend? I was also looking into the Bahamas 7 days what do you guys think about that one? thank you soooo much!

Archived