Having to cancel our cruise

MikeandAmy

This brings back memories of when the gold prices started skyrocketing a few years ago. I had a friend who made custom jewelry and I asked him if the gold prices were affecting his business. Surprisingly, he said NO. He just added the material cost to the price and kept his profit percentage the same, so actually made more dollars than before.

Maybe Contractors will have to start using the same philosophy in regard to gasoline prices.

I tried passing off the costs when it started to rise, and I began to loose customers... So I went back to my original rates.

Hi Mike! We were on the Pearl together....I hope you are feeling better after your most recent health scare!

You know before you cancel (since you have until 90 days before the cruise...) think about just putting 10 or 20 dollars a day in a can...that is what I am doing for our upcoming event. My DH is probably going to lose his job (curse this economy!) but it is my DD"s sweet sixteen year and another DD HS graduation...I figure I can cut out 20 dollars a day, use my NCL credit card for EVERYTHING... and hopefully all will be well...Hey with the high price of gas charge it on the card!!! Hope all works out well...

Susan

SUSAN!!

How are you??? Yes I am feeling much better thank you... I am sorry to hear about your husband.. They keep saying the economy is getting better, I dont see it, look at the new job numbers that just came out today, sad :confused:

I believe that the drilling ban in this country has tied our hands and has something to do with it. They will get us on public transportation if it kills them. Of course, many people don't have any place to go because they don't have jobs. That saves gas.

Sorry you missed the Jade. We missed the Gem last year. It wasn't due to philandering partner however but that danged volcano that erupted. We would have been in the Greek Isles right now this time last year after having been in Venice for a week.

We can only hope our future will be brighter.

In case it makes you feel any better, we would love to have your fuel prices. We currently pay £1.36 per litre. Using your conversion of 3.785 litres to the gallon and an exchange rate of $1.62 gives $8.33 per litre. No wonder we are all cutting back on driving!

Have a good week-end all (I know it is only Thursday, but we have a holiday here tomorrow for the Royal Wedding, so it feels like Friday)

In case it makes you feel any better, we would love to have your fuel prices. We currently pay £1.36 per litre. Using your conversion of 3.785 litres to the gallon and an exchange rate of $1.62 gives $8.33 per litre. No wonder we are all cutting back on driving!

Have a good week-end all (I know it is only Thursday, but we have a holiday here tomorrow for the Royal Wedding, so it feels like Friday)

OK yup you beat us and certainly make me feel better for me, but very sad for you.

Have a good long weekend to you too.

Look at a map of the US. Look at a map of the UK. We aren't set up with tubes for transport. Happy wedding holiday. Depending upon the time it is shown I will be watching. I watched Di and Charles' wedding.:)

So sorry you had to cancel. About 18 months ago, booked the Jade on a 12 day around the Med (cruise completes tomorrow). 11 months ago, found out on Facebook that DW had a boy friend. Now no cruise and no DW. Sure miss that cruise.

So sorry to hear this! I think you should have gone without her!! Let her eat her heart out while you are cruising the Med! ;)

Right now I would settle for almost $4/gal. Ours in Canada at this time is equivalent to $4.92 / U.S. gal.:eek: This gas thing is really making life tough for all.

Isn't our gas closer to $6.00 a gallon (I though 4.4 litres = 1 U.S. gallon).

Not sure, math classes were a long time ago.

3.78L per US gallon

Terribly sorry to hear that. We only have a deposit down, full payment due in June. Telling husband we need to cancel (6 of us scheduled to go). He's says we're going no matter what. I'm telling him he damn well better hit the lottery then.

The 2008 prices put this country into a recession in a hurry (that by my business figures it never came out of) and if it continues this country will be brought to its knees. I've been trying to find a full time job so I can close down our little mom and pop deli because it's struggling to survive. I've had it for sale for close to 5 years. Every time it looks like we've got it sold, the people either get cold feet or can't get the money they thought they could get, or they didn't want to wait out a variance for what they wanted to do with the building and property. There are in insane amount of foreclosed houses on the market and the banks are lending.

These morons that were put in office need to wake up

So sorry that you had to cancel. Gas prices are hurting the entire nation.
'Barb'

I think your wrong...we're all wrong!! :eek::eek: I was just watching the news and they were interviewing a little blonde 19 year old driving her daddy's BMW and she said "the prices we'ren't effecting her at all". Asked if she could live with gas over 4 bucks she said "no problem".:eek: :eek:. These are the people they're putting on the news....not the poor devil working for a living. Hang in there OP, I hope you guys get another chance soon;)

'Barb'

I think your wrong...we're all wrong!! :eek::eek: I was just watching the news and they were interviewing a little blonde 19 year old driving her daddy's BMW and she said "the prices we'ren't effecting her at all". Asked if she could live with gas over 4 bucks she said "no problem".:eek: :eek:. These are the people they're putting on the news....not the poor devil working for a living. Hang in there OP, I hope you guys get another chance soon;)

That's because "some people" want to keep things cushy for the rich and don't give a hoot about the majority of us.

I am so MAD right now, we had to cancel our cruise this upcoming Dec. These gas prices have killed our budget, I am an independent contractor and drive over 200 miles a day and my gas bill has more than doubled... Oh well maybe next year... :(

Occidental Petroleum company today announced record profits, so at least someone is benefiting. BTW, we currently reside in Brazil and have been paying over $4 a gallon for regular gas for a long time. We feel your pain. Hope you can find another cruise.

Occidental Petroleum company today announced record profits, so at least someone is benefiting. BTW, we currently reside in Brazil and have been paying over $4 a gallon for regular gas for a long time. We feel your pain. Hope you can find another cruise.

Dollar amounts, or percentage? There is a huge difference.

PE

I am so MAD right now, we had to cancel our cruise this upcoming Dec. These gas prices have killed our budget, I am an independent contractor and drive over 200 miles a day and my gas bill has more than doubled... Oh well maybe next year... :(

I am so sorry. I know how this gas crap has affected all of us. My husband has a very small pet sitting business: about 1/2 of his charges (which are very resaonable) go right back into the car for gas. Our daughter in Florida says you can't imagine their gas bill. Their company has 10 trucks out in the field daily.

NIta

I'm sure it's not much of a consolation, but gas here in Germany topped at €1.62 yesterday - PER LITRE. That's just about $2.39 a litre. Using that 3.78 ltrs. to a gallon makes it $9.06 per gallon :eek: Scary, huh?

And now Germany has decided to - in the near future - totally ease out on standard super gas (regular is long gone) or make it even more expensive, in favor of E10 (don't ask me to explain that, but supposedly better ecologically). Great, the biggest problem is that many of the cars over here, and especially those older than 10 years, can not use E10 without major corrosion of the metal parts. :eek::eek:

First, I'm really sorry to hear of your cancellation. That truly does suk.

You've hit on a particularly sensitive subject with me, though. That is, there is no good economic or socio-political reasons for this run up to happen (just as there was none in '08).

Oil supplies have never been disrupted by any conflict, so that's one of their excuses that is unfounded. Why? There's too much money at stake. The whole world could be at war, and the oil will keep flowing.

Fact is, oil demand has plateaued over the last 5 years. And, demand has actually fallen the last 2 years. Even the economic growth in China can offset the drop in demand of the west. It will continue to drop, too.

So, who's responsible? Believe it or not, OPEC has very little to do with this. They have to pump a minimum amount just to keep their heads above water. They've been doing that for several years now. They pump less, and they risk having non-OPEC countries chipping away their piece of the market.

That leaves the Refineries (BP, Shell, etc) that will benefit (someone has to clean up the Gulf, BP isn't going to shoulder that bill). And, the speculators....those same greedy folks who wasn't happy with normal returns on investment and made a mess out of the mortgage crisis.

I'm not much for government intervention for any reason, but if there's a good one, it's this one.

The U.S. has begun by investigating the speculators. They should be taxed, and heavily. Further, they should be made to actually take delivery of the oil they are trading (and to hold it for a minimum of 30 days before reselling it).

The refiners should have their hyper profits taxed at a higher rate....unless, they use the money to open up the refineries they have closed and renew the leases and reopen the wells that are currently closed. If not, their hyper-inflated profits go to pay down the national debt.

Sorry for the rant. But, this affects everyone, while a few (very few) profit heavily on the vast majority of those who have to suffer as a result of their greed.

Just read where the EPA has denied B.P. permits to drill off the north coast of Alaska because B.P. didn't factor in the exhaust from the vehicles they'd use at the drilling site into their air quality impact report. So, 29 billion gallons will continue to sit there. Meanwhile, our administration encourages Brazil to drill off their coast, but refuses to let us do the same.

Drilling a single off-shore well can cost as much as $100,000,000 and take up to 7 years to put into production. That is why some off-shore permits will make no difference in the cost of oil in the short run, and only a small difference in the long run. A peaceful Middle East is likely to be the only short term solution, and alternative energy sources, especially technology breakthroughs, the long term solution. But, of course, no one can predict what direction technology advances will go.

Drilling a single off-shore well can cost as much as $100,000,000 and take up to 7 years to put into production. That is why some off-shore permits will make no difference in the cost of oil in the short run, and only a small difference in the long run. A peaceful Middle East is likely to be the only short term solution, and alternative energy sources, especially technology breakthroughs, the long term solution. But, of course, no one can predict what direction technology advances will go.

...and we have pi$$ed away 2 years of that 7 year cycle that could bring us towards independence. But, some smart people in the White House think it is a good idea to invest in Brazil's drilling so we can buy their oil. :confused:

Oh, and your $100,000,000 "estimate" is pure Liberal speak for, we need that money for other things to advance out agenda.

PE

I don't think gas prices are going to come down much from the current price. Ever. We've been lucky for ten years that gas hasn't kept up inflation. If it had gone up with the cost of food, we'd all be walking.

It will be kinda tough when gas is more expensive than bottled water.

Oil availability isn't the price-driver here. Refinery capacity is a problem.

Hey! Who wants a refinery in THEIR backyard?

Archived