Silly question about ordering drinks from the bar...

Disneycruisers

Okay, have any of you ever told the bartender how to make a drink that he/she may not have known about?

I love trying new 'fru-fru' drinks when I cruise, but don't like certain alcohols (vodka, certain rums.) I've found certain "Bailey's' and Godiva liqueur recipes I'd like to try. Has anyone ever done this?

I told you it was a silly question!:D

"have any of you ever told the bartender how to make a drink"

Each and every cruise, I am diabetic and can not handle simple sugar in my drinks. I have the bar make my drinks from stratch and leave out the sugar.

As a former bar tender, I can tell you it shouldn't be a problem. Most tenders are happy to make a semi-original concoction (of course, what you ask them to make probably isn't original, you just don't know it).

I myself have never had that problem, just about every bartender I have met knows how to pour scotch over ice.:)

I had the entire Wine bar on one cruise drinking Root Beer Floats after I taught the bartender how to make them. They're equal measures of Galiano, Coke and Half & Half, in a tall glass, over ice. A great after dinner dessert drink.

Okay, have any of you ever told the bartender how to make a drink that he/she may not have known about?

I love trying new 'fru-fru' drinks when I cruise, but don't like certain alcohols (vodka, certain rums.) I've found certain "Bailey's' and Godiva liqueur recipes I'd like to try. Has anyone ever done this?

----

Disneycruiser: NOT silly at all. The bartenders would be more than happy to do this but, as on land, some bartenders are better than others. I would request the drink and find that one bartender that does it the best. I usually locate 1 or 2 bartenders who make the best (strong :-) drinks and only order from them during the day.

If you like Godiva Liqueur, I have the best Martini recipe for you. Not sure you'll find this on the ship, but try it at home! Amazing!

1 part Van Gogh Espresso Vodka

1 part Van Gogh Dutch Chocolate Vodka

1 1/2 parts Godiva White Chocolate liqueur.

Garnish with a coffee bean

You can play with the amounts if you like. Let me know if you try it.

Edit to say I just realized you said you don't like Vodka, but anyone else you wants to take the recipe, feel free.

If you like Godiva Liqueur, I have the best Martini recipe for you. Not sure you'll find this on the ship, but try it at home! Amazing!

1 part Van Gogh Espresso Vodka

1 part Van Gogh Dutch Chocolate Vodka

1 1/2 parts Godiva White Chocolate liqueur.

Garnish with a coffee bean

You can play with the amounts if you like. Let me know if you try it.

Edit to say I just realized you said you don't like Vodka, but anyone else you wants to take the recipe, feel free.

I might actually LIKE this one! (It's plain vodka I'm not too crazy about.)

Just curious, what is 'fru-fru'?

I have a Merlot, maybe a good Cabernet before dinner but

'fru-fru' is not on any wine list.

:eek::eek:

fru-fru are the fruity umbrella drinks - you know the girly drinks like Kiss on the lips, frozen daquaris, etc.

Not at all! I have a drink called "poolside punch" that I like to enjoy while in the sun, and so far no bartender has refused me!

Ooooh - what is in Poolside Punch?

And Hello to a fellow Tampaian! (and did I see you are also a former Jersey Girl?) :D

Very sugary, high-calorie mixture containing a little alcohol?

That's pretty broad, don't ya think? A proper margarita can be strong, as well as many typically considered "fru-fru" by your definition. I think OP's definition was liqueurs - anything without straight up hard alcohol in it. Tequila, rum, and vodka are all hard alcohol in my book, as well as most bartender's...I'd imagine. Just my interpretation.

-Ashley

OP ~ here's some of our favorite frozen libations from Carnival's Bar Menu... :D Each costs $7.25 + 15% gratuity. Enjoy!

Kiss on The Lips: mango puree, peach schnapps & grenadine ~ our favorite boarding beverage

Mocha Chocolate Getaway: Irish Cream, rum & Ghirardelli chocolate ~ my favorite late-afternoon snack

Hurricane Wave: side-by-side hurricane & banana daiquiri ~ my DH's favorite late-afternoon treat

Miami Vice: side-by-side strawberry daiquiri & pina colada ~ excellent by the pool

... and last but not least, the Lemonade Daiquiri ~ not all bartenders know how to make it... but it's on the Menu, and oh-soooo yummy!

Archived