Cash needed?

bethcooks4u

You will get a variety of opinions on this topic (search the board and you will find much discussion about local currency). We have been to FP on the PG twice before for a total of 25 nights and have never had the need to change currency. That being said, we also did not buy a lot of local crafts. In our experience the cabs, restuarants (even local food stands), local shops, rental agencies, etc. all take either US currency, credit cards, or both. Everything on the ship is in US currency and you can charge to your shipboard account. If you are concerned, you may wish to get about a hundred dollars from an ATM at the airport or in Papeete (or from your local bank prior to departing).

Thanks. We're thinking small gifts for grandchildren and maybe something for our house made in Tahiti. What kind of things do the locals sell?

We're also thinking of getting pearls too. Where's the best place to get those?

We appreciate the help!

Pareos are a common gift and we found that the nicer ones were in the $20 - $25 USD range. Obviously not best for kids. IMHO pearls come in two categories. Those inexpensive or unknown ones that are sold by every vendor on every island and those that you purchase at a reputable pearl shop. Collins who has the shop on the ship and also a few land based shops is well regarded as is Eva Perles (sp) on Moorea. If you are going to purchase decent quality pearls you should stick to a real store, not a streetside vendor. On the Motu at Taha'a they also have some vendors selling what look like decent pearls but who knows.

Before my trip I looked at some pearl prices on www.bluenile.com and also researched the color, shape and quality of pearls. When that was all done I only liked the ones with a greenish hue which my wife hated. This worked out great as I saved $$$.

For the kids they do see some wood carvings, small drums, masks, etc.

We also bought a full strand from Tahia Collins on board They gave us 7% off the listed price.

On other trips bought plain unset pearls and a simple necklace from Island Fashion on Moorea ( Ron Hall) and from the Motu ( Mahana) . Motu Mahana has kiosks that sell pearls upto $50,000 in value but they also have inexpesnive earrings or pendants. The vendors on the right side of the dock will sometimes have a pearl or two but the settings will be cheaper and a lot of their jewellery is made of shell.

Other gifts which you could buy from the shop on board are Manoi Oil, Manoi Oil soap, vanilla beans etc.

Archived