Picking up the same ship the following week?

grammy c

Is it possible with NCL to pick up the same ship with yet another booking the next sailing, from a port you are interested in staying on, or were left on. I checked with CCL awhile back and was told it was possible. Now am wondering the same with NCL. Anybody done this? Leaving N.O., staying on any of the western carib. ports for the Spirit.

I'm not positive what your asking either. I know several years ago, NCL did offer a Boston to Bermuda cruise where you could get off and spend a week on Bermuda, then return to Boston on the following sailing.

I think if that is what you are asking about the Spirit, you'll have to check with NCL or your travel agent.

as long as you are getting off and back on in a foreign intermediate port, the cruise lines can allow it BUT most of the time they don't because they don't book cruises by segment only for the full cruise. So if you want to pay two full fares, a cruise line may allow it but the chances are that is not what you want...

Actually it is what might happen. We might want to stay in Roatan a week and then catch up with it the following week or even the next. Yes I know that double bookings would be called for, and that the thing to do would be to book all this in advance, no problem. Right now though I am traveling with someone who has applied for a passport and it's still not here. Six days to go. It probably will come, but was just thinking of alternate ways to get back to the states without flying in the even we were left. I've read all the approperate Q&A about getting left, illness etc. but if it were possible to just stay in the port in question and wait for the next boat it might just work out for us. We would actually rather do another half cruise than to fly back, not even mentioning what it would take, time and effort to Get to FLY back without the passport. Sorry my question was confusing, but thanks for the effort.

Actually it is what might happen. We might want to stay in Roatan a week and then catch up with it the following week or even the next. Yes I know that double bookings would be called for, and that the thing to do would be to book all this in advance, no problem. Right now though I am traveling with someone who has applied for a passport and it's still not here. Six days to go. It probably will come, but was just thinking of alternate ways to get back to the states without flying in the even we were left. I've read all the approperate Q&A about getting left, illness etc. but if it were possible to just stay in the port in question and wait for the next boat it might just work out for us. We would actually rather do another half cruise than to fly back, not even mentioning what it would take, time and effort to Get to FLY back without the passport. Sorry my question was confusing, but thanks for the effort.

You can't stay in Roatan without a passport. Honduras requires a passport for entry but just waives the requirement for cruise ship passengers making a day port call. If you miss the ship and don't have a passport you'll be in Honduras illegally and you have to go to the US Consulate to apply for a passport in order to fly home. You can't just wait and hope the ship will agree to pick you up on its next visit.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1135.html

ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS: A U.S. passport valid for at least six months from the date of entry is required to enter Honduras. A visa is not required for American citizens, but tourists must provide evidence of return or onward travel. Parents should not rely on birth certificates for their children’s travel; rather, prior to travel they should obtain U.S. passports for infants and minors born in the United States. U.S. citizens are encouraged to carry a photocopy of their U.S. passports with them at all times so that if questioned by local officials proof of identity and U.S. citizenship are readily available.

it wouldn't matter about what the other country says anyway since technically you aren't making a closed loop roundtrip on the same sailing. the US would probably require a passport anyway...

You can't stay in Roatan without a passport. Honduras requires a passport for entry but just waives the requirement for cruise ship passengers making a day port call. If you miss the ship and don't have a passport you'll be in Honduras illegally and you have to go to the US Consulate to apply for a passport in order to fly home. You can't just wait and hope the ship will agree to pick you up on its next visit.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1135.html

ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS: A U.S. passport valid for at least six months from the date of entry is required to enter Honduras. A visa is not required for American citizens, but tourists must provide evidence of return or onward travel. Parents should not rely on birth certificates for their children’s travel; rather, prior to travel they should obtain U.S. passports for infants and minors born in the United States. U.S. citizens are encouraged to carry a photocopy of their U.S. passports with them at all times so that if questioned by local officials proof of identity and U.S. citizenship are readily available.

I am sure every country is the same. Without a passport you would be in the country illegal. Here in Belize if you were to stay you must get a 30 day visitor stamp in your passport. Or be a resident of Belize

OP here is my take on this. I called NCL about a transatlantic cruise to Copenhagen, but I wanted to disembark in Amsterdam as it is closer to where I wanted to end up. I was told NO, unless there was some kind of emergency and then I would be allowed to leave the ship short of the destination port.

So, if you wanted to stay on an island and not finish the cruise I doubt they would let that happen and then pick it up again when the ship returns on the next swing. Even if you were paying for two cruises.

It won't hurt to keep asking though, and maybe things will work out for you.

Happy cruising! :)

There's another piece to this puzzle....the immigration authorities in the foreign country, in this case, Roatan. When the ship arrives in port, the staff are usually 'greeted' by the appropriate foreign authorities. We get to go into the country without passing through that country's immigration and customs stations because the ship handles it for us and we are only going to be there a limited number of hours. On the other hand, if you arrive in a foreign country by any other means, you must go through both customs and immigration before you can proceed around the country. In many places you need to state the date of your departure and your means of leaving [like the airline and flight number]. Many countries give you a document that you need to exit the country. I would NEVER be in a foreign country without my passport and required entry stamps or document [except on a cruise which makes a multi country cruise so much more inviting than flying around]. You do NOT want to be in a foreign country illegally. Not nice places and the rights you expect here might not exist.

Thanks to all. I have four days to explain to the GS that if the passport does not come, he is not going! I DO KNOW how important it is to have one, but have apparently been in denial of that fact. Cruising with him as a child ten yrs. ago was sooo much easier, as in life as we ALL know it now. Wish us luck! NCL gives you up till 48 hrs to chg. the name on the ticket, so someone else has to go. Again thanks for the reality check!

Archived