gimme your best/favorite travel apps

SewCruise

I'll be on a Med cruise in June, and this will be the first time for me traveling long-distance with all the newfangled technology - last time I was overseas was in '98 when people still used phone booths and real film in cameras. :eek:

So I'll have my iPhone and iPad with me, and I'd love to know from you seasoned and tech-savvy travelers what your favorite travel apps are. Language apps, map apps, food apps, flight apps, photo apps, sightseeing apps, weather apps, games and entertainment for those endless hours on the plane... whatever, you get the idea. Anything that you have found genuinely useful in your travels.

Thanks!

I'll be on a Med cruise in June, and this will be the first time for me traveling long-distance with all the newfangled technology - last time I was overseas was in '98 when people still used phone booths and real film in cameras. :eek:

So I'll have my iPhone and iPad with me, and I'd love to know from you seasoned and tech-savvy travelers what your favorite travel apps are. Language apps, map apps, food apps, flight apps, photo apps, sightseeing apps, weather apps, games and entertainment for those endless hours on the plane... whatever, you get the idea. Anything that you have found genuinely useful in your travels.

Thanks!

Google Translate is now an app for the iPhone.

You can speak into it... it translates it (sort of) and then you can hit the speaker icon and it will even play the phrase out loud so that you can try to say it properly or play it for who you are trying to talk to. HOWEVER... it uses data - it is not a fully imbedded app. so I only used in emergencies so that I did not use up all of my expensive overseas data plan.

Some useful Iphone/Ipod touch/Ipad travel related apps that we use are: (we have other but mostly similar apps on the Android)

Weather - add all the cities/ports you will visit

World Clock/Timeticker/Wider Clock - your iphone can also be your alarm clock

Airlines:

Fly Delta, AlaskaAir (add your airlines of choice)

Airport Status

Flysmart

Triptracker

Gateguru

Tripdeck

Currency - conversion updates

Free wifi (or use the ipod as a wifi detector)

Google Earth

Convert units

Lonely planet city guides - these were free for a limited time.

Maps

Check please for tip calculations

Kindle

My next phone after my current contract ends next month will likely be a smart phone. I have been looking at travel apps for them and ran across a couple that may be of interest.

For those using your apps overseas how exactly do you connect with your carrier to do so? Isn't it very expensive as well?

Shak

http://www.tripit.com/uhp/tools

http://www.budgettravel.com/feature/the-ultimate-guide-to-travel-apps,7217/

Shak - from what I understand you do have to be very careful about data roaming while overseas, but I'm hoping to be able to track down free wi-fi hotspots occasionally while in port. My hotel in Barcelona offers free wi-fi, and I'll likely purchase a small internet minutes package for use on the ship. So hopefully I'll be covered without spending a ton of money to stay connected.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep em coming!

I have a Droid. However, many of these apps are available for apple devices. I think that all of these following apps were free. My favorite apps for travel are:

Tripit- you can put your entire trip and travel itinerary in one digital place- awsome!

TripAdvisor- for reviews for restaurants, hotels, and excursions- very useful!

Kayak- for booking great rates on flights, hotels, etc.

Yelp- reviews of lots of things, I use it for restaurants

ShipMate-RCL- cruise ship deck plans and tons of other stuff- Great App!

Kindle- for entertainment and travel books, I have a Kindle device and can also access all my books on my phone.

iTranslate- mentioned by PP

Google Maps- Used this in St. Martin to get around via rental car-worked great!

PDAnet- to tether my phone to my laptop- free internet access with unlimited data plan. Was very slow on board, did not work in many Caribbean ports. I use it mostly for domestic travel.

ConvertPad- Converts units such as currencies, metric, Celcius, etc.

Droidlight- uses your phone's flash for a flashlight in case of emergency, etc.

White Noise Lite- I hook my Droid up to a docking station at night and play white noise to help me sleep. We sleep with a fan at home.

Fox News- to keep up with current events

OP, have you checked to see if your iPhone will work in Europe? I'm pretty sure that Verizon's iPhone will not. You should call your provider and get an international data plan added for the time that you will be away. I did this on my last cruise, and had no nasty surprises on my Verizon cell phone bill.

I'm definitely going to look into an international plan with AT&T to see if it will fit my needs. I'm still learning how all this stuff works. :o

Just downloaded the Packing Pro application on my iPad and started playing with it - LOVE it! It's perfect for list-making, organization freaks like me.

I have to thank those who pointed out about the Kindle AP on the i pad. I transfered all my kindle books to my i pod.

Obviously, I am still learning about the multitude of aps. There are so many, truly overwhelming.Thanks OP for a great thread.

Bella

Evernote is my favorite. Create a folder for the trip and snag notes off the web, voice notes, photos / scans of important documents and take it with you on your iPhone.

Evernote is great for travel!

OP, have you checked to see if your iPhone will work in Europe? I'm pretty sure that Verizon's iPhone will not. You should call your provider and get an international data plan added for the time that you will be away. I did this on my last cruise, and had no nasty surprises on my Verizon cell phone bill.

True, Verizon's current iPhone shouldn't work internationally. The next one might, though.

Another thing to consider. Since Verizon doesn't use GSM many of their phones will not work in many places outside the US. I do know that the Droid Pro does and the upcoming Droid Incredible 2 should since they have dual radios with SIM cards. If that's something that's important you might figure it in during your next cellphone purchase.

As for the apps to load up on it, I'd add these to the suggestions. Some are Android, some are iOS (I travel with both).

Bump - meet someone cool and easily share info to keep in touch

c:geo - Geocaching application

ConvertPad - converts many, many units of measure

Dropbox - easy to send home pictures (easier, in my opinion, than syncing to Picasa)

Picasa - send home pictures if you don't like Dropbox

Google Goggles - tells you about what you see

TeslaLED - one extra flashlight

Royal Caribbean app - obvious reasons

Yelp - find food, events, etc. nearby

I'd also recommend a good first aid app. I don't have a title handy - all of mine are paramedic-specific - but search for one with plenty of good reviews.

Finally, add in some info from the government. This - http://m.usembassy.gov/ - is a mobile site and not an app (bookmark it) but is darn useful. http://apps.usa.gov/tsa-app/ gives you TSA information.

Enjoy!

Evernote is my favorite. Create a folder for the trip and snag notes off the web, voice notes, photos / scans of important documents and take it with you on your iPhone.

Evernote is great for travel!

Thank you, I may be in love with Evernote.

I have it installed on firefox, my PC, & my iPhone.

My go to app when traveling is tripadvisor

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll check several right now ...

I am not in love with tripadvisor's app I still use Safari and use their website. They still have a ways to go before their app is 1/2 as good and usable as their website.

• 1 year later...

Thanks!

While this thread is a little dated, the topic is still hot. Some of the apps mentioned are on the list that came out recently from Conde Nast ... 26 Travel Apps That Will Change Your Life

http://www.cntraveler.com/technology/2012/09/best-travel-apps-android-iphone-ipad-perrin-report?intcid=trail_gl

Cheers, Margaret

On our Iphones we have-

--tripadvisor has a set of city guides that are downloadable and can be accessed without wifi.

-Rick Steves has walking tours that are downloadable.

--whatsapp for wifi based free texting. touch is also good. Differences are touch creates it's own user number and is limited to 144 characters. whatsapp needs a phone number (as an identifier) and seems to be umlimited in the character count. Both send pictures.

--xe for currency conversions (do not remember if this is an app or I loaded the website, xe.com, to my homescreen)

--My TSA for USA travel alerts

--Flashlight (on the 4s)

--Kindle app

I use Daily Tracker Quick Notes that will post your location from Google and you can include pictures in the note. I haven't really played with Evernote, will try that also.

Check out Over40, it is a magnifier and flashlight in one, :D

I am learning to use my first smart phone. I thought I saw there was an app for cruise critic but now can't find it. Does anyone know if CC has an app?

its called "tapatalk"

the app will allow you to access cruise critic, as well as other message boards you may be a member of :)

i believe it cost $1.99 (on the i-phone anyway)

I was on a world cruise early this year. My Verizon's iPhone worked in every country. Also, I was in France early this month, it worked there too.

M

Archived