Future of Tampa Cruising

My husband and I got to thinking last night about whats going to happen with Tampa cruising in the next 10 years. We live right here so we try to go out of Tampa whenever possible. However, the Skyway bridge is already too short for the newer, larger cruise ships. I cant imagine that the cruise lines are going to build brand new small ships just so they can cruise out of Tampa, and there is only so long the existing ones will be on the water.

Will they move the port to an area that is not obstructed by bridges? Or will they modify one of the bridges to be a draw bridge?

I guess the good news will be that when/if they resolve this problem maybe we will actually start getting new, nice ships instead of hand me downs from other places that got the big ones :).

10 years from now cruising might be to the space station or moon, if private companies can get into it profitably.:p

But seriously, I think there'll always be a place in cruiseing for smaller ships and Tampa is a great place to sail out of with good local support (unlike that other coastal place that shan't be named to the northeast of you). so yes to get on monster ships like the Allure or Oasis or Breeze or Dream, you'll have to venture to other cities, but I'd say Tampa will still have active cruising 20 years hence, so don't stick up the "For Sale" sign yet.:)

My husband and I got to thinking last night about whats going to happen with Tampa cruising in the next 10 years. We live right here so we try to go out of Tampa whenever possible. However, the Skyway bridge is already too short for the newer, larger cruise ships. I cant imagine that the cruise lines are going to build brand new small ships just so they can cruise out of Tampa, and there is only so long the existing ones will be on the water.

Will they move the port to an area that is not obstructed by bridges? Or will they modify one of the bridges to be a draw bridge?

I guess the good news will be that when/if they resolve this problem maybe we will actually start getting new, nice ships instead of hand me downs from other places that got the big ones :).

I really would not be concerned. While there is a place for the huge mega ships the upscale and luxury lines are going to keep the mid size ships and small ships and Tampa is positioned perfectly for those.

In spite of what people might believe ships that are even 20 years old are not old. It is a lot cheaper for the lines to spend $$$ on renovations than it is to build new ships.

I really would not be concerned. While there is a place for the huge mega ships the upscale and luxury lines are going to keep the mid size ships and small ships and Tampa is positioned perfectly for those.

In spite of what people might believe ships that are even 20 years old are not old. It is a lot cheaper for the lines to spend $$$ on renovations than it is to build new ships.

It would be horrible if our only options in the future will be the luxury cruise lines. After all, not all of us are rich. I figured those cruise lines would still be here. I am more worried about Carnival since we really enjoy our Carnival cruising and always find great deals. We are in our mid twenties so we hope to have plenty of cruising years left.

As long as we have a spirit class ship, like the Legend, Tampa will continue to be a popular port. Besides that NCL has committed to homeport a ship here. Is the future for Carnival behemoth ships, it all remains to be seen. When John Heald asked on his FB page, on the request of the beards, the overwhelming response on what kind of ships Carnival should build was a Spirit class like ship. Everyone seems to love them that have been on them.

No way could the skyway be converted to a draw bridge

... Well as least economically

We will see the smaller ships continue to call for many years to come aa d we have canaveral just a very shorthand ride for the larger ships

To me the best of both worlds!

And 5 hr drive Away there's st Florida ports

We have it made!

As long as we have a spirit class ship, like the Legend, Tampa will continue to be a popular port. Besides that NCL has committed to homeport a ship here. Is the future for Carnival behemoth ships, it all remains to be seen. When John Heald asked on his FB page, on the request of the beards, the overwhelming response on what kind of ships Carnival should build was a Spirit class like ship. Everyone seems to love them that have been on them.

So you think Carnival will continue to build Spirit class ships?

It's not going to be an issue for a long time, as the Spirit-Class still has a lot of life left. With the money they're sinking into the Fantasy-class, I suspect even they have a good decade left. Spirit-class will be around a decade after the Fantasy-class is retired.

They certainly won't (and can't) retrofit the Skyway as a draw-bridge. It's both against regulations for an Interstate Highway (the Skyway is part of I-275) to include a drawbridge (except for a very few grandfathered cases) and the physical design of the bridge means you'd have to completely tear it down to build a drawbridge, and if they were to do that they'd just rebuild a much higher bridge.

I seriously doubt Carnival will build any more Spirit-class-sized ships, as their purpose was to fit through the Panama Canal and the Panama Canal is being widened. Once it's clear that there will be no ships that will fit under the Skyway, it will likely be time to rebuild the bridge and they'll build it higher (and we'll be having the same discussion about Dream-class ships fitting under the bridge). :)

There has been a lot of talk in the local news about the new governor of FL really trying to push the development of a new port up in the Crystal River area near the power plants, as there's been significant dredging done to get coal/oil haulers into there for them. He's very acutely aware that the new Panamax ships in 2014 aren't going to be able to fit into Tampa's narrow navigational channel. Given that the Skyway was replaced in the late 1980's and has a 50-100 year lifespan, it's more logical for them to start building up a new port that's easier to access. Tampa will still remain a very active port, but the really big stuff is going to need to go somewhere else, and that's where the Citrus/Levy county port is. Once they get expressway access to the area, you'll probably see development take off and the cruise lines consider that as an alternative to the narrow Tampa Ship Channel.

While a cargo port makes sense in Citrus or Levy county, a cruise port does not. Cruise ports need to be near airports and population centers.

Further, the Skyway might make it 50 years (2037), but IMHO that's pushing it. The bridge was poorly built and is plagued with corrosion and structural issues.

All they have to do is dredge out the area under the bridge so that it is deeper.

While a cargo port makes sense in Citrus or Levy county, a cruise port does not. Cruise ports need to be near airports and population centers.

Further, the Skyway might make it 50 years (2037), but IMHO that's pushing it. The bridge was poorly built and is plagued with corrosion and structural issues.

This is very true...but you can get to Crystal River in about the same time as it takes to get from MCO to Port Canaveral...less time once the Suncoast Parkway/Vets Exwy is expanded to 4 lanes in each direction. My mom lives up there and I can make the run in just under an hour from TPA.

I know that corrosion and other issues are probably trimming some life from the skyway, but it's very realistic that it will make at least another 20 years before a new bridge is put on the drawing board. A new bridge is probably going to ding the state several billion dollars, even more if they have to figure out how to make it higher/wider than the current one - an engineering challenge for sure. Given how strapped for cash the state is right now, it makes a lot of sense to get cargo operations started in Citrus/Levy county and let the market decide where the ships will go. If the port of Tampa sees a huge hit in its operations after 2014, the locals will quickly be demanding a newer bridge and wider channel.

I too, think that the "Spirit Class" vessels have a lot of life, and years left in them. They are almost everybodys favorite, and I can't imagine Carnival scrapping them before absolutely necessary. Having said all that, I would LOVE to see Carnival build some new ships along the lines of the "Spirit Class", although, frankly, I doubt that they will ever do that. Just too much money to be made by putting 4000 to 6000 souls aboard one ship!

Only time will tell, but I have to believe that the Port of Tampa will be serving those of us in this area, and those who know how great it is, for a long, long time. :cool:

"SKY"

I happen to enjoy sailing out of Tampa, but if they had to build a new cruiseport in the area, I'd love to see them build up the port of Manatee - it's inbetween two major airports (Tampa International and Sarasota/Bradenton International), is a couple of miles past the Sunshine Skyway, and the megaships could finally come to the west coast of Florida!!!!

If not, then I'll still drive to the other various ports in Florida - hey as long as I'm on a ship it works for me!

I happen to enjoy sailing out of Tampa, but if they had to build a new cruiseport in the area, I'd love to see them build up the port of Manatee - it's inbetween two major airports (Tampa International and Sarasota/Bradenton International), is a couple of miles past the Sunshine Skyway, and the megaships could finally come to the west coast of Florida!!!!

If not, then I'll still drive to the other various ports in Florida - hey as long as I'm on a ship it works for me!

I think Manatee might actually be an option for a new port. It will be interesting to see what they do what I can't imagine they are going to wait until the Skyway has to be replaced to solve the problem. By then the smaller ships will no longer be running. Maybe not in 10 years but in 20 this will be a problem for sure.

In five days I'll be sailing under that bridge on the Legend as happy as a clam. No mega-ship required or desired.

I like the ships we have right now too. Just saying they will not run forever and Carnival more than likely will not invest in building new small ships.

I hope to enjoy sailing right out of the Port of Tampa for years to come and plan to continue multiple cruises right here several times a year.

Tampa is a fantastic place to sail out of! The view while passing under the bridge is a really cool part of it!

Right now Carnival is starting to rebuild the Fantasy class ships. The intent is to extend their useful life to about 35 years. Presumably, the Spirit class ships will get similar treatment. Because of this, I expect the smaller and medium size Carnival ships to be around for a long time.

Years ago, my folks took their first cruise on the Franca C. This old tub had been built for the Australian emigrant trade in 1914. It operated until around 1968. I am used to Great Lakes boats which never wear out. They just get too small to be operated economically. The cement carrier St. Mary's Challenger was built in 1905 and still is steaming.

Another thing to consider is the Skyway Bridge is one of the many Florida screw pile bridges. With the collapse of the I-35 bridge, basic design of bridges all over the country has come under heavy scrutiny. Screw pile bridge have jumped high up the scale of bridges needing replacement for design deficiencies. These bridges are literally built on a footing of sand. I would be willing to bet the bridge(s) will be replaced long before the ships wear out.

Doc

Great idea. I would love to have 2 cruiseports within 60 miles and Port C just a little further away. This would certainly be an economic boost to the gulf side of Florida and make us very competitive with the East Coast. ;)

All they have to do is dredge out the area under the bridge so that it is deeper.

How would that help? The problem is the height of the ships not the draft of the ships...

Archived