I'm gonna cheat on SeaDream just once in 2012...

knotheadusc

Thanks DisneyJen. Saying goodbye is the hardest part about having pets. MacGregor is an awesome dog. This is going to break our hearts.

Knot, I am SO sorry to hear about MacGregor (love the name btw). :( We have a 13 yr old Lab with a degenerative spine - the same issue that ended up taking her older sister - so I totally understand how hard it is to have to say goodbye to a beloved pet and companion. It never is easy, and dogs' life spans are much too short....but the love and great memories that these special animals bring to our lives make it all worthwhile.

Will look fwd to your full wrap up on your cruise/excursions once you get home and settled. Thanks again for taking us all along with you, and again I am sorry to hear about MacGregor. {{Hugs}}

Knot, I'm so sorry to hear about MacGregor (I love the name, too!). Hopefully, the vets can keep him pain free for as long as possible. We have cats instead of dogs, but they run our lives just as much! They are numbers 4 and 5 -- and we still miss 1, 2 and 3, so it's always painful, but as CDreamer says, great memories do help.

Safe trip home!

Vandrefalk

Thanks. We haven't gotten any other updates from the kennel, so he must be doing somewhat better. We got MacGregor in 2004 to be a sidekick to Flea, a beautiful purebred beagle with a very alpha personality. We lost Flea in 2009 after a four month battle with prostate cancer. I was devastated, but these got Zane, another purebred beagle to be a playmate for MacG. He's been amazing. I still miss Flea, but am comforted that we could give Zane a home. Likewise, when it's MacG's time, we will give another dog a home. There's always a good dog in need.

The emails we got on the last night of the cruise made it sound like there was a huge crisis. I'm glad we called the vet and got the straight dope and were in a place where that was possible.

We spent a nice day walking around Edinburgh. I've fallen in love with Cullen skink.

Flying home tomorrow. Half dreading it, half looking forward to it.

Yesterday, we walked through the National Gallery of Art, which is free to visit. Then we went toward Edinburgh Castle, but that seemed too overwhelming, so we took in a tour of Mary King's Close, an underground "city". It was kind of campy, but entertaining. The day before, we visited The People's Story museum, also free, and the scotch whisky experience. Our excursions were interspersed with long breaks at pubs.

I think I might have lost a few pounds, which I dearly need to do. With all the walking we've done and being upset about the dog, it seems likely...

The kennel guy says MacGregor is about the same as he was. I'll just be glad to see him for myself so we can take care of him.

Thanks to everyone for all the nice comments and for following us on our trip.

Thank you so much, Knot, for taking us with you on your trip. I have been anxiously looking forward to each report. Safe travels home, and I hope that you find your dog in better condition than you expect.

Echoing Zimmy's thank you and thoughts.

Safe travels.

We did get a couple of pictures of MacG today. He looks scared and sad, but actually better than I expected him to look. I'm hoping that when he's in his house with his pack and on his favorite blue blanket, he'll feel a little better. The kennel guy led us to believe that he was paralyzed, but then said he "wasn't walking too good" which must mean he's not. As much as I appreciate the care he and hs staff have given our dog, I'd also kind of like to wring his neck. In his first red alert to us, he led us to believe that our vet had recommended that he be put down immediately because he was in agony. We called the vet and got a very different story.

I get the sense that the kennel guy is a no nonsense country fellow. I respect that, but we need to be able to say goodbye if at all possible. If he was truly in agony, I could see making a call like that from 6000 miles away. But the picture he sent four days after the fact doesn't indicate to me that he's that bad off.

MacGregor is a shy, sensitive dog anyway. I imagine he's sad and scared even when he's not ailing, but in a kennel. They also have him separated from our other dog for safety reasons. I'm sure that's scary for him too. Anyway... We'll take him home and see how this pans out. We don't intend to let him suffer any longer than he has to.

I just hope they don't think we're awful people for not high tailing it home. We did consider doing that, but by the time we knew what was going on, we would have cut our trip short by just a couple of days... and who knows if we'll ever get here again. In the end, we did what our vet recommended. We've had 8.5 wonderful years with MacGregor. We need to be able to give him a proper send off.

DJ's DH and I can so feel your pain and we are sending you ((HUGS)).

In our 28 years of marriage we have had five fur babies. The most we ever had at one time was three and we usually have had two. Currently we are down to just one.

You aren't horrible people for not high-tailing it home. If your vet thought MacG's quality of life was not worth holding onto he/she would let you know. Trust me, we know this from experience.

I am sure MacG will perk up as soon as he sees you and your DH and as soon as he is home. You will all know in your heart when it is time to let go.

Thoughts and prayers with you all.

We did get a couple of pictures of MacG today. He looks scared and sad, but actually better than I expected him to look. :::snip::: The kennel guy led us to believe that he was paralyzed, but then said he "wasn't walking too good" which must mean he's not. :::snip::: We called the vet and got a very different story.:::

:mad: Knot, I may have missed this - are your dogs being boarded at your vets' place? Is there anyone else that can watch your dogs while you are away (in the future?). I don't blame you for being upset and if I were you - and I'm not, so please understand this is just my opinion - I wouldn't board my dogs there again, although I certainly understand MacGregor's current health situation. Like you, I have a sensitive dog and she doesn't do well in a kennel situation so we found someone who is responsible, licensed, and offers overnight dog sitting at her home (she also does drop ins).

<<I just hope they don't think we're awful people for not high tailing it home. >>

Not to sound callous, but who cares what "they" think?! This is YOUR dog, YOUR hard-earned vacation, and YOUR decision. You listened to the vet and made your call based on his opinion.

It's obvious MacGregor means a lot to you and you should have a better idea what's really going on once you see him. My best to you Knot....as Disney Jen said, we've been there too and it's never easy. He's a very lucky dog to have such loving parents.

And just to chime in, ditto to Zimmy's post: Thanks for taking us along on your cruise and have a safe trip home!

Knot, we were in Oregon several years ago, visiting the grandkids. When we got off the plane and I turned my phone on, I had a message from our cat sitter (also a vet tech, as Pee Mai had several health issues). She said he had kind of collapsed but they were pretty sure it wasn't a thrombosis in the legs. Bless her heart, she took him to work with her every day and then to her home at night. We were able to complete our visit (while worrying constantly) because she took such good care of him. Fortunately, we did have several more months with him -- he was one feisty cat!!

So, once you get home, I know you'll give MacGregor lots of love, which will make him happy. And you'll know when you need to do something.

Safe travels!

Vandrefalk

We've used this kennel several times and never had problems. It's a "pet resort", not our vet's. But after this experience, I'm not sure what we'll do in the future. We live in a rural area, so there aren't that many options, unfortunately. MacGregor is usually fine in a crate, though. He's just fearful of people he doesn't know.

And you're right about how we shouldn't care what they think. In fact, I told my husband that a couple of hours ago.

I wish we still lived in GA. We used to board our dogs with our vets there and they were awesome.

For anyone who is interested, here's a link to my Epinions review of the Princess. There's also a review of the Carlton George hotel embedded within the review.

http://www.epinions.com/review/Hebridean_Princess_epi/content_605601894020

Great detailed review, Knot. Usually I zone out on really long reviews, but like your daily reviews I felt like I was on the boat with you. Nice job!

Was impressed that the ship truly is "all inclusive" - covering all your land excursions and even your impromptu trip to Glasgow to see the Burrell Collection on your turn around day!

Thanks again for taking us all along with you. How's MacGregor doing?

MacGregor is doing better than I expected he would. He was happy to see us, though obviously couldn't show us the way he usually would. After seeing the ladies who took care of them, a couple of whom actually cried with me and gave me hugs, I'm not so upset with them anymore. One of them recommended that we get another opinion about MacGregor's condition. He is still eating, drinking, peeing, and pooping and managed to growl at our other dog, Zane, when I brought him some water to drink. He has serious problems walking and is tucked away in his crate. I'm sure he is in pain, but he doesn't seem ready to go to the Rainbow Bridge yet. I have definitely had experience with the ones who are ready to go.

I don't really expect anything, but you never know. Raleigh does have a vet school. Maybe someone can offer us something that will make MacGregor feel better and/or give him a little more time.

Here's a picture I took of him a little while ago.

IMG_0911.jpg

Zane was, of course, ecstatic to see us and come home at last.

Here is a link to my review of our Edinburgh accommodations. http://www.epinions.com/review/The_Chester_Residence_epi/content_605619261060

Oh he looks so sweet! I love Beagles! My Granddog is a Beagle named Tyson. He's about 9 or so. Not sure since he was a rescue dog. But he had some back issues a couple of years ago and was in really bad shape. But with arthritis meds, etc he has really improved and you would never know he had been so sick. I'm hoping with the right help MacGregor can have a good recovery too!

He is a very sweet dog. This afternoon, he was looking pretty miserable and my husband and I made what I thought would be a binding decision... and then it was dinnertime. He heard me pouring his food and tried to get up from his bed. His face lit up and he wagged his tail furiously. So I don't know... I think we're going to do our best to keep him comfortable and let him tell us when he's ready.

He's wagged his tail for us several times tonight. But he can't really stand up or walk and when we take him out to pee, he sort of collapses.

Completely enjoyed following along with you on your cruise and now your detailed review on epinions.

You should start a blog with sidebar ads and get some kind of credit--of all the places I want to travel, Scotland had not been high on my list. Now I'm going over to the Hebridean webiste! :p

Wishing you and your puppy all the best.

Thanks frpebbles. Truth be told, I actually do make some money from Epinions reviews. I hope you will check out the Princess. Scotland is delightful for so many reasons. I expected to love the scenery, but I think I loved the people even more. I felt very much at home there.

I think my husband and I will probably be taking MacGregor to the vet for the last time in the next day or two. :(

Knot, I loved your review -- many thanks. I've only done one trip to Scotland, but dearly loved it and want to go back one of these days.

But I especially loved the picture of MacGregor -- he looks so sweet. We'll be thinking of all of you and hope you get through the next few days.

Vandrefalk

Aw, Knot... MacGregor has such a sweet face. I am sorry he can't be with you much longer but am very glad that he was able to go home and that you were able to spend some time with him.

Scotland is on the bucket list now, thanks to you and your excellent reviews.

Well... interesting turn of events. We took MacGregor to the vet's this morning, thinking we would be putting him down. He was panting all night and seemed to be in a lot of pain and we thought maybe it was time.

A different vet (the one we usually see and who took the original x-rays in October) was there. She thinks MacGregor has bone spurs on his neck/spondylosis, not bone cancer. She gave us new meds and is arranging for us to take him to NC State to see if we can improve his quality of life and keep him with us a bit longer.

:)

So maybe we'll get to hang on to MacGregor after all. At least we'll know we did everything we could for him.

Archived