I'm gonna cheat on SeaDream just once in 2012...

knotheadusc

Thanks FT. I'm really missing MacGregor, but I know in my heart we did the best we could for him. I hope to have a new rescue friend for Zane before too long. It's very quiet in our house without two dogs. And rescuing another needy beagle is a great way to honor MacGregor's memory.

Merry Christmas (or Happy Holidays) to everyone. Best wishes for your recovery, FT!

BTW... my husband has already made cullen skink, which we had never heard of before our trip to Scotland. ;)

We have been down to one dog for a few years now and are discussing a new addition as well. Will have to wait a bit as we are in the process of moving/semi retiring. Will have to see how that goes. I know you will be good to the next one too. Was the Cullen as good as on board? I always referred to it as Scottish New England fish chowder.:eek::D Lots better than haggis (IMHO):eek:

To be honest, I wasn't that impressed with the ship's version of cullen skink. I had never heard of it before we got to Scotland. We had it at a very nice restaurant the night of our anniversary and it was underwhelming on Princess. Then we went to Edinburgh and I ordered it in a pub and that was probably the best version yet!

I ordered three pounds of smoked haddock (most of which is in the freezer) and my husband made a really nice batch a couple of nights ago. It's not easy finding smoked haddock in America, but I got lucky!

Oh yeah. We went to this place that had about 200 different scotches. I had a Belhaven's Best and my husband tried a couple of whiskies. Their cullen skink was heavenly... better than the five star restaurant's in Glasgow and much better than the ship's, which was very light on potatoes and fish.

I love Scotland now. I could totally go back... and I was afraid this would happen! Now I'm in love with two expensive cruise lines. :eek:

My husband loved haggis, BTW, but I could probably skip it next time.

Last year we were posting live from the splash on Prickley Pear. This year FT is supervising me, as I attempt to cook, but either way, to all our many SD friends, both passengers and crew we wish you all a Merry Christmas!

BTW, to stay on topic and moving to 2013 we may cheat on the new Paul Gaugin ship in the Agean in May!

Merry Christmas to my fellow CCers! FT hope all went well with your surgery...good to see you back on the board. Knot, good for you for looking into adopting another Beagle in need of a new home. Jim, good luck with your move and "semi" retirement, Zqvol, will be interested to hear all about your upcoming PG cruise.

Also, to stay on topic: We will be cheating on SD by taking a (self guided) trip to France in 2013... But, we WILL be back on board at some point because we know we can't stay away from SD TOO long!

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an update on our doggie situation. We found out that MacGregor had what appeared to be a very malignant tumor near his spine, which probably means his problem developed very quickly and not over the course of a couple of years as we originally thought. In any case, we were definitely assured that we made the right decision

We adopted a new hound today from Triangle Beagle Rescue and named him Arran, after the Scottish island that was the most gorgeous to me while we were cheating on SeaDream with Hebridean . We really loved Scotland, even though the trip was bittersweet, since it was where we first learned we'd be losing MacGregor. We figured naming our new dog Arran was a way to take some of the bitter out of the bittersweet.

Anyway... here's a picture of him with Zane. He's a handsome sucker, isn't he? :D

IMG_0994_zpsc961d22e.jpg

Thanks whatnot! Oddly enough, he does some things that remind us of MacGregor. This morning, he put his paws on my husband and stared intently into his eyes the way MacG always did and "booped" him on the nose. My husband got up and went into the kitchen. I said, "You're choked up, aren't you?" He sure was...

I know Arran is a different dog, but it was pretty remarkable to see.

I kinda wonder if he has dalmatian in him! He's taller than a regular beagle.

My son's Rescue Beagle is taller and bigger than a regular Beagle and has a little more black than some too. He was told that he probably has some American Fox Hound in him. Sounds like he's just charming you all into loving him!

We adopted a new hound today from Triangle Beagle Rescue and named him Arran, after the Scottish island that was the most gorgeous to me while we were cheating on SeaDream with Hebridean. :::snip::: Anyway... here's a picture of him with Zane. He's a handsome sucker, isn't he? :D

Knot, not sure how I missed this announcement but CONGRATS on the new addition to your family! Arran is a beautiful dog, and I love the connection between his new name and the Scottish island that you visited and loved so much on your trip.

Sounds like Arran has already found a special spot in both of your hearts, and how lucky for Arran, that he now has a new "brother" and warm, loving home. Win, win all the way around! :D

Thanks CDreamer! He's really a very nice dog. He also shares a few behaviors with MacG, which has made my husband tear up more than once. Every time I look at him, I'm amazed by how gorgeous and sweet he is. It doesn't make me miss MacG less, but it is nice to have a new dog around.

114 days to go until I'm faithful to SeaDream again. :eek:

Knot, always exciting when you start counting down the days before boarding SD again and it's only a few months away!

We ALMOST booked another SD Caribbean cruise for our anniversary this year but have decided to stay on an island instead.

But does it even count as "cheating" if we're going to be staying on dry land? :confused:

I think cheating only applies to defecting to other cruise lines... :D

Incidentally, Hebridean sent vouchers for $200 plus 5% (the 5% is apparently standard for past guests) off a next cruise if I book in February. :p Wish I could, but as much as I loved Scotland, there are other places I want to go. I would love to try one of their river cruises, though...

• 2 months later...

We've vacationed two years in a row for the December holidays with Seadream - both SD1. With SD's changes in itinerary (Costa Rica and Asia), we are thinking about giving Seabourn a try.

We are considering the Seabourn Spirit for the Dec 21st voyage out of St Marten.

We'll miss SD1 and the terrific crew. :(

Mike

Nicely done, Knot!!

Vandrefalk

Thank you! I just discovered iMovie on my Mac and was having some fun with it. I think the Scotland video I made is my favorite. I'll have to go back there and take more photos so I can make another video!

We've vacationed two years in a row for the December holidays with Seadream - both SD1. With SD's changes in itinerary (Costa Rica and Asia), we are thinking about giving Seabourn a try.

We are considering the Seabourn Spirit for the Dec 21st voyage out of St Marten.

We'll miss SD1 and the terrific crew. :(

Mike

We've done the Carribbean on Seabourn. While it lacks the intimacy of SD, there are those wonderful cabins to make up for it. And we found the crew to be very friendly. I think there are no bad choices here.

Well,

Cheated in 2011 by going SB Australia to Singapore. Ah, if only we had know SD was going to start operating there!

Never got away in 2012 but spent the first few days of 2013 on the MV Liemba.

A classic steamer built in 1913 - a year after the Titanic - and was sunk in 1916 before being refloated by the British.

Still has 1st, 2nd and 3rd class. We paid 100 USD extra to have the only 1st Class cabin with a private WC!

A fabulous way to see Lake Tanganyika!

Someone else's video is here, really gives a flavour:

vimeo.com/43315187

Highlight of the three-day trip (100 USD each for the bunk, plus the 100 for the WC) was a fisherman throwing Flygoddess a fish, which she took to the kitchen for them to cook for our lunch. Fee: four Cokes for the cooks!

Now just hoping for a good deal on Seadream from Panama to San Juan. Flights booked, so we may just stay in Panama and try and visit Darien, scene of Scotland's failed colonial attempt!

What a place to choose - 300 years later there still isn't even a road!

We've done the Carribbean on Seabourn. While it lacks the intimacy of SD, there are those wonderful cabins to make up for it. And we found the crew to be very friendly. I think there are no bad choices here.

Thanks...We've just decided to go in a different direction - Paris for New Year's!

No shorts however! ;)

Archived