I'm gonna cheat on SeaDream just once in 2012...

knotheadusc

Jim Avery is right about Eton Mess. I got a picture of it and will try to post it at some point. It was very tasty! On the ship it was made with raspberries. The other option was a really nice rice pudding.

I'm not sure exactly how many people are on board. The ship only carries 50 passengers, though. The stateroom is very comfortable, despite being the cheapest. We have no windows, but the bed is king sized and very comfortable.

Have had a great day today. It was raining this morning, but we landed at Rothesay and visited Mount Stuart house, which is absolutely amazing! It makes the Biltmore House look unimpressive. I visited the loo and it was one of those wooden jobs. I got a picture of it... Anyway, someone missed the toilet and ended up peeing all over the floor. :eek: I mopped some of it up with toilet paper because I didn't want people to think I did it!

After lunch, the sun came out and we visited Rothesay Castle. That was interesting because it's in ruins. I actually got hot walking around!

Tomorrow we visit a botanical garden and Kelburn Castle, I think. Thursday, this cruise ends. My husband and I and another lady are staying on, so we're being sent to a museum. Hebridean Princess is paying for transport, lunch, and admission. And though they don't advertise a laundry, the purser said we could get some done that day.

This is a very different experience than SeaDream, but it's equally nice. I will definitely post a comprehensive review and comparison when we get back to NC.

Equally nice experience to SD, huh? Then it must be very nice indeed.

Exactly MY thought, Zimmy! That's a pretty impressive statement on Knot's part!

Knot, sounds like you are having a wonderful time and are making some very interesting stops.

Maybe I missed this but are their excursions prearranged with local guides and have they been well organized? Or are you all just dropped off at a particular site and you basically go it alone?

Sorry about your bathroom experience :eek: - sounds like they need better lighting (or a bullseye) in there!! :roll eyes:

Hebridean has a guide on board and she takes us to the sites (a different guide will be on next week). All admissions fees are included. If you'd rather do something else or stay aboard, you can.

Transportation is arranged, though... We weren't even asked for a credit card when we boarded. You pay for everything upfront and don't worry while on the ship.

The sun is brilliant today. We went to Benmore Botanical Garden and took a nice stout hike. Afterwards, we came back to the shop for some tea and cake, which was paid for by Hebridean Princess. Just had a lunch of fish and chips. Tonight is a gala, so my husband will wear his Army dress blues, which should make him almost as sexy as the guys in kilts.

Will I try haggis or not? Depends on how much whisky I drink.

Thanks for posting, Knot. It sounds like you are having a wonderful time. And they've already got you talking British! I don't think I've ever heard the term "stout hike." It must be fun to listen to the expressions everyone uses.

I don't think I would be brave enough to try haggis, but if you do we want a complete description! Enjoy the gala.

Hebridean has a guide on board and she takes us to the sites (a different guide will be on next week). All admissions fees are included. If you'd rather do something else or stay aboard, you can.

Transportation is arranged, though... We weren't even asked for a credit card when we boarded. You pay for everything upfront and don't worry while on the ship.

Nice that you have the same guide on board leading your excursions and that they arrange your transportation. Makes the whole process a bit more fluid. Also good you have the option to stay behind or go it alone.

Will I try haggis or not? Depends on how much whisky I drink.

Man oh man.... I will try just about anything, but haggis?? No thanks!! There just isn't enough whisky in the world that would get me to try it! :eek:

You'll have to report back and let us know: 1. If you tried it; 2. If you survived; 3. If it tasted like chicken! :p

Seriously, hope you and your DH have a great time tonight, Knot!

Really have been enjoying your posts! As for the haggis, well I tried it one time and didn't know what I was eating. It was at a neighborhood cocktail party where everybody brought an appetizer and the Scotish couple who brought it didn't tell what is was until after we all had tried it! It wasn't wonderful but it wasn't as bad as I would have thought. I think it's the idea of what you are going to eat that is the turnoff!

Keep up the great posts and the photos!

I did, in fact, try the haggis. It wasn't that bad... It also wasn't that good! But I lived to tell the tale. After dinner, we got a galley tour. The chefs tried to tell me about hunting for haggis... Bollocks, of course.

Today, my husband and I and the one lady who is also doing a back to back cruise went to see the Burrell Collection, another one of Glasgow's free museums. We had lunch and are now waiting for the new folks to arrive. I think there might be other Americans on this cruise.

By the way, DisneyJen... We got a galley tour last night!

Color me green with envy! That is very cook knot!!I am constantly blown away by what the chefs, sous chefs and their assistants are able to create in such cramped and often swaying environs!

Knot: "The chefs tried to tell me about hunting for haggis... Bollocks, of course."

:eek: :eek: Yikes - I think turkey with all the trimmings sounds a bit more in MY league! Kudos to you for being so adventurous though.

Knot: "We had lunch and are now waiting for the new folks to arrive."

And we will be here, waiting to read more about your fun and interesting trip adventures. ;)

Happy Thanksgiving, Knot!!

We managed to go south for the next itinerary. The weather is windy, but sunny and beautiful. This morning we're on a bus tour of Arran and I'm getting some lovely photos. Later, we will visit a famous cheese and aromatics shop. Hebridean very kindly provides coffee, tea, and cookies on the way. Good thing, because most of us needed some fresh air. The air here smells of oysters.

We visited Campbeltown this morning and visited Springbank Dstillery, which is a very old whisky maker... It was a very different experience than Arran Distillery, which is much newer and more ommercial. We bought bottles from both places. This morning's distillery had a bottle from 1919 priced at 50,000 pounds.

This afternoon, we are visiting privately owned Sanda Island. I think it's pretty much deserted, but it's close to Northern Ireland. Right now, the captain is deciding if we can tender in. The tide is changing and might make things too rough. The staff on this ship are superb...

I've only puked once this whole cruise... And it wasn't due to haggis, alcohol, or seasickness.

Archived