I'm gonna cheat on SeaDream just once in 2012...

knotheadusc

Well, I don't think there's a cure, but we could put him on pain meds and do physical therapy. In fact, she gave us another type of pain medication to use with the other medication the other vet gave us as well as a higher dosage of Prednisone. She thinks he's got some pinched nerves. He will likely never be the way he was, but we could see improvement if her diagnosis is correct.

This vet actually showed us the x-rays and pulled out a veterinary textbook to show us the difference between how cancer and spondylosis look on x-rays. I like her better than the other vet anyway, because she is less conservative and seems to care more.

I'm so glad we took MacG in this morning instead of tomorrow. If we had waited until tomorrow, the other vet would have been on duty and he'd probably be dead. So... fingers crossed!

After a quadrupled dose of Prednisone, some Tramadol......I haven't seen him do that since before we left for Scotland. Today was our lucky day. I was sure he was a goner this morning.

Wow! What a relief for you - and MacGregor!! So glad this "new" vet took the time to really review his xrays and not just jump to conclusions. Sounds like she is already getting a handle on MacGregor's pain so at least now you can keep him as comfortable as possible.

As our pups age and develop some of these age-related issues you start to take things day by day with them..... but THIS day turned out to be a very good one for you -- and MacGregor! :)

The "new" vet is the one we usually go to. She works Wednesdays and Saturdays only and we usually do our vet stuff on Saturdays. We like her. The guy who said MacG has a spinal tumor is the man who owns the practice and apparently needs to retire. My husband is upset and talking about filing a complaint for several reasons. He also prescribed a drug that is toxic to dogs.

Hopefully if this vet can get you to the NC State Vet School, they can give the best advice available. They have a great reputation! Hope all goes well. MacGregor sure looked better in the photo! Those eyes just get to you!

This morning, when MacGregor heard me fixing his breakfast, he got up out of his bed and managed to scramble into the kitchen, where he ate breakfast standing up. Then, after I took a photo and filmed him trying to walk, he went back to his bed.

What a difference a day and lots of high powered drugs make! We have an appointment at NC State for December 17th. I still can't believe we were about to put him down. I want to strangle that vet who said he had bone cancer and recommended euthanasia. Thank God for second opinions!

IMG_0913.jpg

Will do! As you can see, our other dog, Zane, is delighted his beagle brother is still with us!

IMG_0921.jpg

And just to keep this on topic, I said I would upload a photo of Eton Mess. Here it is...

IMG_0238.jpg

And here's proof that Scotland in November can be extraordinarily beautiful!

IMG_0513.jpg

IMG_0527.jpg

A couple more Scotland reviews...

Scotch Whisky Experience- http://www.epinions.com/review/n-a-137416615/content_606454517380

The Real Mary King's Close- http://www.epinions.com/review/The_Real_Mary_King_s_Close_epi/content_606846488196

Hebridean Island Cruises reposted my review on their Facebook! :D I always get tickled when I get re-tweeted or re-facebooked!

MacGregor is still with us. He is having kind of a bad day today... very stiff and painful. Yesterday was a good day, though. I think he overdid it, which is why he hurts today. :( I hate that he's in the state he's in, but he's still wanting to live.

I hate that he's in the state he's in, but he's still wanting to live.

And THAT is the determining factor, Knot! MacGregor, much like our Lab, is older and dealing with spinal issues - but as long as his basic quality of life is still good and he seems generally happy and is otherwise healthy then your are doing what is best for HIM. ;)

Will look fwd to reading your other reviews once I have a little more time. Thanks for posting.

We took MacGregor to NC State yesterday and saw a veterinary neurologist. She was very encouraging. She thinks he either has a neural sheath tumor or a bad disc. If he has a tumor, it could be benign or malignant, but these types of tumors apparently don't tend to spread to other parts of the body and are very slow growing.

He's having an MRI this morning, but his blood work and x-rays so far are normal. The vet says he seems to be in good health overall, which makes him a good surgical candidate. It looks like he will most likely have surgery and will probably come back to us with three legs. I put a big deposit down on his treatment costs, but I am determined not to let this cancel our SeaDream cruise in May...

Yeah, I know I got it bad! :)

Regardless of what happens, I feel better knowing that we did this for him rather than just put him down.

Oh, no! What happened?? Your morning post sounded so encouraging -- I am so very sorry he's taken a turn for the worse. You are in my thoughts -- and everyone else, I know. Vandrefalk

Absolutely. Knot, I too am very sorry to hear the sad news that MacGregor is not doing as well as you had originally hoped. Hugs to you and your hubby... it is never easy. :(

The vet said he had a neural sheath tumor that was very close to his spine and it was invading his spinal column, which made it inoperable. She offered to have him looked at by oncology, where they could do chemo and radiation, but neither of those treatments is all that effective and the outcome would have been the same, just a lot more expensive.

Though he was basically healthy, he has been in pain and the Prednisone, while helpful, was making him hungry and thirsty all the time and bloated. We decided to go ahead and have him put down at NC State because I didn't really want to take him back to our clinic and I didn't think one more night at home would serve any of us.

In the interest of helping other dogs with cancer, we consented to allowing NC State to do an autopsy.

We will miss MacGregor. He was one of a kind and will always be very special to us. I think he was ready to go, though. Though we will never be able to replace him, we will now be able to help another dog that needs a good home.

Thanks to all of you for your support. Maybe someday we'll meet at the TOY Bar and be able to raise a glass for one very awesome hound. :)

I am so, so sorry, but I know you did the right thing for MacGregor. It is soooooo hard to say good-bye to our four legged children. My DH and I raised a glass to MacGregor and his parents tonight -- just remember the Rainbow Bridge. And one day you will give a home to another needy dog. Just give yourselves and Zane time to grieve the loss of MacGregor. Maybe we'll meet you in NC one of these days -- but the TOY would be the best!

Take good care and much sympathy :-(

Vandrefalk

:( So very sorry, Knot. You did what was right for MacGregor - and that not only takes courage but also shows how much you and your hubby really loved and cared about him and his needs. I am SO glad that you, your hubby, and Zane were able to spend some time with MacGregor after you returned from your cruise.

Good for Zimmy for doing the REAL DEAL by toasting MacGregor at the TOY, but please know I'm also raising my glass tonight to MacGregor - AND to his parents who cared so much for their beloved dog.

Archived