upgrades

lolmerry

Im sure this question as been asked lots of times but here it is again, If im cruising in jan 2012 when would i expect to here if i had got an upgrade? will it come direct from Hal even if iv booked with an online travel agent? Am i best to contact my t/a or just leave it up to them to contact me,

Hope some of you got some feedback thanks

If you are booking a guarantee cabin (example VH gty), you may not know your assignment until a few days before sailing.

On our Oosterdam cruise, we got our assignments about a week before sailing. We booked a VF gty, and assigned a VA. But do note, I don't think we sailed full.

When your docs are ready, you can check them online to see if you have been assigned.

We are cruising in January also, and I don't expect to see our assignment until this summer minimum (we are sailing on a collectors' cruise, so somethimes they assign those earlier).

If you're asking about a guarantee assignment, most of our (eight) have happened 10 or 11 days out. The earliest was 18 days out and the latest was 3 days out. Your TA will be notified, and s/he may or may not notify you. We've always learned ours before the call from our TA by looking at the OnLine CheckIn page a couple of times a day (starting around 3 weeks out). It should also show in your My Account > My Reservations section.

If you're talking about an upgrade (not an upsell) from a specific cabin that should also show in the same two places. On the Nieuw A we got our initial assignment 11 days out and then a re-assignment upgrade 3 days out.

An upgrade can be offered right up until you board. We've heard of people checking in who got a free upgrade.

As always, be sure to book and pay for the minimal level cabin you require in order to be happy. If you buy less hoping for something more for free and aren't happy getting what you paid for, that's a big disappointment.

We are aboard Westedam on an Alsaka cruise on May 14th. We got a very good price from a HAL brochure for a "Fully Obstucted" outside cabin (Cat H) - a couple of days ago we got upgraded (free) to Cat D (not obstructed outside). and then the next day were offered an upsell to a Veranda for $99 each. We jumped on that and got a cat VA cabin! Our last few cruises we had a balcony, I was not sure I could go back! We are delighted to be in a veranda cabin for just a bit more. This all happened within 2 weeks of departure.

Archived