So Nervous

sarahc78

I am so nervous and anxious about our trip to Bermuda w/ the bus/ferry drama that I havent been able to sleep the past few nights.

I understand that RCL ship showed up late... but that is only 2000 people. When we get there next week it will be our ship The Summit, NCL's Dawn, and RCL's Explorer... that is 6000 people :eek:

I just want to cry right now :(:(:(

I am so nervous and anxious about our trip to Bermuda w/ the bus/ferry drama that I havent been able to sleep the past few nights.

I understand that RCL ship showed up late... but that is only 2000 people. When we get there next week it will be our ship The Summit, NCL's Dawn, and RCL's Explorer... that is 6000 people :eek:

I just want to cry right now :(:(:(

Don't stress out about it...I've learned that things you can't change there's no point in stressing..Dh and I were talking about this last night.. We usually do 1 morning or afternoon in St. George's..with the ferry thing it might be kind of hard..but, if the ferry is full or we miss it..we will just change our plans..will I be dissappointed..yes, but we've never been to Gibb's lighthouse and there's a pub at the bottom of the hill there..so that's our plan B...I'm hoping if it's such a huge mess that Bermuda will try to correct it..I also do a shopping afternoon in Hamilton..by myself..it looks like ferries there are more plentiful( I hope):rolleyes:anyway..I'm trying not to stress or be dissappointed..I know it's hard because we like 3 days in Bermuda to do specific things we like..so I hope it's a little better for you or you can think of some alternative things to do. There are some fun things to do that aren't at the St' George's end..we've been to and done some great things in Hamilton and the Dockyard..just remember you're in Bermuda, so anything you do is in Bermuda and you're on a cruise:)

The Explorer is in Bermuda Monday and Tuesday only, so that's a non-issue.

Personally, I'm not worried. Worse case, if it's a madhouse, we'll take a taxi. It may cost a bit more, though with six of us, it will likely be close to the same.

And there's always the beach at the Dockyard to visit while waiting for the crowds to thin.

Just don't try to take a bus/ferry at peak times -- immediately after the ship docks, early in the morning, etc. and it will likely be a non-issue.

Have a great time!

Ditto Ditto Ditto.. Bermuda is wonderful destination and I can tell from reading all of the posts on this board (and I do really) that taxis have not been an issue yet so opting for that to get to Hamilton etc. is definitely an option. And, there is a lot to do at Dockyard despite the negatives you may read from some folks.. enjoy your precruise planning .. you will still be on vacation!!!

There are so many things in life so much worse....

Don't worry - it will work out, it's not going to ruin your vacation, plus i'm sure the cruise customer service will have a solution, plus the onshore visitors centre will have some solutions for you.

This is supposed to be relaxing.

Hell it's stuff like this that makes it more interesting.

Stuff like this actually usually for me ends up being BETTER.

Example -- once my west coast drive trip was screwed up by a bridge under maintenance - I thought we were screwed - we ended up finding a Ferry that took us across the Puget Sound at sundown. -- quiet boat, PERFECT sunset, with seals jumping in the water around me... and we got there on time...

So.. don't worry -- it's such a small detail.

I totally understand how you feel and have been hyperventilating for the past week :eek: am finally at the point where I said... let's hope things get straightened out, however, if they don't, you know what, we're in Bermuda... we'll take a taxi or change our plans a bit to assure our vacation is just that... a vacation :D

Have a fabulous time in Bermuda!

JJ

Thanks everyone. I guess I am working myself up in a panic! I am a planner and a worrier :eek: bad combo lol

It will be hard for me to addjust to a go w/ the flo type situation when we are there but I am going to have to do it! I really just wanted to make sure my kids got to see all the wonderful things in Bermuda that we did last year. I am more excited for them I think. This will be there first cruise, first time out of the country, and first week long vacation (we normally do just weekend things) :)

I understand your worry. We've tried to talk my parents into cruising with us for ages and they finally agreed. This will be their first cruise and I worry about feeling responsible if they don't love it. I know they won't feel that way and I know it's pressure that I'm putting on myself, but it's still hard. I alternate between wanting to plan everything to the nth detail and just winging everything.

You don't mention your kids' ages, but it sounds like they're young. If they're anything like mine (5 and 7) they'll have a great time no matter what. Even spending an hour waiting in line will likely be forgotten by that afternoon. Now having a stressed-out parent on the other hand ...

Please do not be nervous. As many posters have said, there will be TONS of taxis in Dockyard waiting to take you wherever you would like to go. Bermuda is a small place and I am sure you will be able to find others who are interested in going to the same destinations (HSB, Gibbs Hill, Hamilton, etc). Sharing a cab will cut down on the cost considerably.

I do have one suggestion if you do get a taxi to the beach - before you get in the cab be sure to ask the driver if they would be willing to pick you up afterwards. Some of them would be more than happy to take you there but wouldn't dream of taking you back, lest their taxi get a speck of sand in it :rolleyes:, that way, you don't have to worry about finding your way back. Also, be sure to take their cell number, so you can call them if you need to stay longer/they don't show, etc! The winter season was hard on the cabbies, financially, so many of them are more than happy to make beach runs.

Enjoy your vacation - the weather has been GORGEOUS lately! Almost makes me want to break the local 'no going swimming before May 24th' rule!

Thanks everyone. I guess I am working myself up in a panic! I am a planner and a worrier :eek: bad combo lol

It will be hard for me to addjust to a go w/ the flo type situation when we are there but I am going to have to do it! I really just wanted to make sure my kids got to see all the wonderful things in Bermuda that we did last year. I am more excited for them I think. This will be there first cruise, first time out of the country, and first week long vacation (we normally do just weekend things) :)

If the buses are not up to snuff when you get there I have one word....taxis. With kids they will be less stressful anyway. When you figure out the costs once you get to four they are not that much more than taking the buses. Every time I have been to Bermuda with more than three we only used taxis.

I understand your worry. We've tried to talk my parents into cruising with us for ages and they finally agreed. This will be their first cruise and I worry about feeling responsible if they don't love it. I know they won't feel that way and I know it's pressure that I'm putting on myself, but it's still hard. I alternate between wanting to plan everything to the nth detail and just winging everything.

You don't mention your kids' ages, but it sounds like they're young. If they're anything like mine (5 and 7) they'll have a great time no matter what. Even spending an hour waiting in line will likely be forgotten by that afternoon. Now having a stressed-out parent on the other hand ...

Wow we are in the same boat! I am bringing my parents with us as well. They have cruised but never w/ Celebrity. So I have that to be nervous about plus the bus issues. The kids are 13, 12, 11, and 4. I know the 4 year old will be fine it is the complaining teens I am worried about lol!

If the buses are not up to snuff when you get there I have one word....taxis. With kids they will be less stressful anyway. When you figure out the costs once you get to four they are not that much more than taking the buses. Every time I have been to Bermuda with more than three we only used taxis.

We have 8 in our party so a taxi would be impossible w/ us unfortunately. That is one of the main reasons I am stressed we are pretty much going to have to rely on the busses/ferries.

So two taxis with four in each? Still not much difference than the bus.. I think I read somewhere 6 is limit in cabs for Bermuda but I know in Caribbean islands there are guys with minivans who could take 8?

6 is the limit so it would be $200 one way to get to Tobacco Bay :eek:

Ditto Ditto Ditto.. Bermuda is wonderful destination and I can tell from reading all of the posts on this board (and I do really) that taxis have not been an issue yet so opting for that to get to Hamilton etc. is definitely an option. And, there is a lot to do at Dockyard despite the negatives you may read from some folks.. enjoy your precruise planning .. you will still be on vacation!!!

I think that sharing taxis among small groups of people to get to the same destination is the way to go. Two families of three could easily split the fare...couples and single travelers could join larger groups.

Sarah and Cindy, I know you want to make things perfect for kids and parents on their first cruise and first trip to Bermuda. But if you're going crazy with worry, you'll just upset the rest of your group. They'll feel bad that you're so worried, and that will only make you feel worse, which will make them feel worse, etc etc etc.

I understand how you feel. I am a detail nut and the trip planner for my family. We have traveled with friends to places we have been before and they haven't. If your family are like the friends we've traveled with (three different couples over the years), they will be happy to benefit from your experience, and will not fuss if they don't get to see EVERYTHING. Just have a Plan B in your back pocket and they'll think you're brilliant.

Focus on sharing how wonderful Bermuda is. Taking someone to a place you like gives you a chance to see it for the first time again through their eyes. Enjoy it!!

OK, so if a family of 7 (one of which is elderly) wanted to take a taxi and was only in Bermuda for one day-what would be the best thing to do?

4 in one and 3 in the other.

At the taxi stand, see if others are going to your destination and get them to join you to get 6 to a taxi and split the costs.

If you are going to a popular area, you should be able to do this.

The Explorer is in Bermuda Monday and Tuesday only, so that's a non-issue.

Personally, I'm not worried. Worse case, if it's a madhouse, we'll take a taxi. It may cost a bit more, though with six of us, it will likely be close to the same.

And there's always the beach at the Dockyard to visit while waiting for the crowds to thin.

Just don't try to take a bus/ferry at peak times -- immediately after the ship docks, early in the morning, etc. and it will likely be a non-issue.

Have a great time!

Yes, guys remember... the cheap mass tranportation system was a bonus in Bermuda. People like going there because it is *nice*, but that comes with a price. We were talking to our cab driver about the cost of living there: he and his wife bought a house for 250K a number of years back... just a regular 3 bedroom kind of house... and it would sell for a million now (although, as he points out, he couldn't *buy* anything for less than that because the *average* house --including the small ones -- cost about a 750K).

The Bermudian people need to be able to get to work. Tourism is no longer the number one industry; "reinsurance" is. Each *household* is only allowed one car, so if there are two people working, one either rides a scooter, or takes mass transit. I can certainly understand the Bermudian people wanting priority on the buslines and ferries. I agree with those who would raise the day-pass rate (while keeping the unlimited/monthly pass rate low for the residents).

I fear that this situation is going to cause Bermuda to go the way of Jamaica and the like, with relations between tourists and residents becoming strained and angry. This is a true story: I was walking through the "mall" at Dockyard. I went into one store, greeted the clerk, walked around, didn't see anything I liked, so I said goodbye and have a good afternoon. The clerk said something, and I didn't really hear her, so I said, "I'm sorry? I didn't hear you." She replied, matter of factly, "You have excellent manners." I stuttered around a bit, and thanked her, and she continued, "And you are an American?". I said I was. She said "I'm surprised."

We ended up talking a bit about how people come into her store, they don't greet her, they don't say thank you, or goodbye -- she feels invisible. I told her I was a teacher, and I hoped to pass on good manners to my students, and she said, point blank, "I wish you'd teach them to your fellow cruise passengers."

Guys, we are visitors to their country. Like every other country in the world, they are struggling with financial issues -- inflation, supply and demand, etc. They don't have an income tax or a sales tax -- all taxation is done on imports. Whether or not you agree with this system, it is *their* system, and we are just visitors.

So, while everyone is getting all upset about the fact that they thought they would be able to travel anywhere and everywhere for $10 a day, I'll ask you -- where else in the developed world can you find that? In the DC area, where I live, each *leg* of a trip will cost you a minimum of $10. In Europe, it is a lot more.

I would strongly hope that people come to the conclusion that taking taxis in Bermuda is a good idea. Most (if not all) of them are vans, so you can get 4-6 people in it, and the rate is $40 per hour (shorter trips are by the meter). If there are only two of you, find someone to share with. It isn't an unreasonable rate, when you break it amongst four people, it will free up room on the buses and ferries for the Bermudians, and, I hope, it will help the Bermudians see that we really aren't "ugly Americans", grubbing for every penny, even if it means putting others at risk.

Yes, guys remember... the cheap mass tranportation system was a bonus in Bermuda. People like going there because it is *nice*, but that comes with a price. We were talking to our cab driver about the cost of living there: he and his wife bought a house for 250K a number of years back... just a regular 3 bedroom kind of house... and it would sell for a million now (although, as he points out, he couldn't *buy* anything for less than that because the *average* house --including the small ones -- cost about a 750K).

The Bermudian people need to be able to get to work. Tourism is no longer the number one industry; "reinsurance" is. Each *household* is only allowed one car, so if there are two people working, one either rides a scooter, or takes mass transit. I can certainly understand the Bermudian people wanting priority on the buslines and ferries. I agree with those who would raise the day-pass rate (while keeping the unlimited/monthly pass rate low for the residents).

I fear that this situation is going to cause Bermuda to go the way of Jamaica and the like, with relations between tourists and residents becoming strained and angry. This is a true story: I was walking through the "mall" at Dockyard. I went into one store, greeted the clerk, walked around, didn't see anything I liked, so I said goodbye and have a good afternoon. The clerk said something, and I didn't really hear her, so I said, "I'm sorry? I didn't hear you." She replied, matter of factly, "You have excellent manners." I stuttered around a bit, and thanked her, and she continued, "And you are an American?". I said I was. She said "I'm surprised."

We ended up talking a bit about how people come into her store, they don't greet her, they don't say thank you, or goodbye -- she feels invisible. I told her I was a teacher, and I hoped to pass on good manners to my students, and she said, point blank, "I wish you'd teach them to your fellow cruise passengers."

Guys, we are visitors to their country. Like every other country in the world, they are struggling with financial issues -- inflation, supply and demand, etc. They don't have an income tax or a sales tax -- all taxation is done on imports. Whether or not you agree with this system, it is *their* system, and we are just visitors.

So, while everyone is getting all upset about the fact that they thought they would be able to travel anywhere and everywhere for $10 a day, I'll ask you -- where else in the developed world can you find that? In the DC area, where I live, each *leg* of a trip will cost you a minimum of $10. In Europe, it is a lot more.

I would strongly hope that people come to the conclusion that taking taxis in Bermuda is a good idea. Most (if not all) of them are vans, so you can get 4-6 people in it, and the rate is $40 per hour (shorter trips are by the meter). If there are only two of you, find someone to share with. It isn't an unreasonable rate, when you break it amongst four people, it will free up room on the buses and ferries for the Bermudians, and, I hope, it will help the Bermudians see that we really aren't "ugly Americans", grubbing for every penny, even if it means putting others at risk.

Wow, great post! I am sorry to hear that the shopkeeper's impression of American visitors is so poor.

We've been lucky to interact with many pleasant Bermudians and we try to be friendly in return. Last year, we were sitting at a bus stop, and a girl of about 15 walked by. She had her school uniform on, and was carrying books. She asked if we were OK and what bus were we waiting for. We told her, she looked at her watch and said, "It sometimes runs late. It should be here in a few minutes." We thanked her, and she walked on. How many American kids would stop to check on some tourists at a bus stop? (She must have had a teacher like you!)

Off topic, but wanted to just add another lovely story of an interaction with a "local"....

We were staying at a resort and went to Saturday evening mass by taxi - assured that we would be able to find a taxi back... Alas, after mass, none to be found...

we had introduced ourselves to the priest before mass, telling him we were visiting from NJ, etc...

After mass, he noticed that we were waiting to find a taxi - mentioned it to a parishioner, and the woman DROVE US BACK to the resort. Would NOT accept gas money or anything. LOVELY LOVELY people!

I LOVE Bermuda! :)

Hi Sarahhc

Hold the phone there!

Where did you get that figure of $200 to get six people to St. George's???

I just called the cab company and they told me that from Dockyard to St. George's is about $50 (plus tip) for a minivan type cab that holds six people.

That's less than $10 each!

Maybe you're forgetting that the meter cost is for the CAB - not Per Passenger.

Don't sweat it, okay? We want you to come and...

Have Fun!

Off topic, but wanted to just add another lovely story of an interaction with a "local"....

We were staying at a resort and went to Saturday evening mass by taxi - assured that we would be able to find a taxi back... Alas, after mass, none to be found...

we had introduced ourselves to the priest before mass, telling him we were visiting from NJ, etc...

After mass, he noticed that we were waiting to find a taxi - mentioned it to a parishioner, and the woman DROVE US BACK to the resort. Would NOT accept gas money or anything. LOVELY LOVELY people!

I LOVE Bermuda! :)

It's wonderful to hear how nice the people are there. Can't wait to visit in June

A big benefit of the bus/ferry system is that you could get on and off where you wanted. We're only in Bermuda for a day and our plan was to go to St. George on the ferry, visit some shops we liked in the past, then head by bus to Hamilton, stopping at Swizzle Inn for lunch along the way. We'd then shop a bit in Hamilton and ferry baxk to the Dockyard.

If a cab to St George runs $50 - how much would an itinerary like this cost?

Hi Beasfriend,

Although I can't give you prices or recommend specific taxi services, you'll find quite a few threads on this site where cruisers have booked taxis in "Tour Mode", which is somewhere in the region of $40 - $50 per hour for the cab, which will hold six people, with (I think) a three hour minimum.

This means you can go where and when you like, and get a running commentary into the bargain.

If you only have one day, this might be the best way to see as much as possible. You could, for example, do the tour from your ship to St. George's and back to Hamilton, leave the tour cab there, do some shopping and catch the Ferry back to your ship.

Other threads have feedback from cruisers and personal recommendations for drivers, who you can book in advance.

Have Fun!

A big benefit of the bus/ferry system is that you could get on and off where you wanted. We're only in Bermuda for a day and our plan was to go to St. George on the ferry, visit some shops we liked in the past, then head by bus to Hamilton, stopping at Swizzle Inn for lunch along the way. We'd then shop a bit in Hamilton and ferry baxk to the Dockyard.

If a cab to St George runs $50 - how much would an itinerary like this cost?

I think you will not have a problem taking the ferry to St. George, bus to Hamilton, stopping at the Swizzle and ferry back to the Dockyard if the ship arrives on time. The problems seem to have been the buses from the Dockyard to the Beaches and the ferry problem would only be if the ship is late getting to Bermuda.

Taxi rates are about $35 an hour for one to four and $50 an hour for five-six. There is surcharge on weekends and holidays.

Archived