So Nervous

sarahc78

Yes, the huge issue that got a life of its own here on the boards last week was caused in large part bec. the ship was late.. which can happen anytime but which always - in any port this happens - causes a bit of mayhem.. It happened to us once in St Thomas and all 2500+ (or more) people on the ship were in the lobby waiting to get off.. it was utter chaos.

Buses to beaches are diff. from bus into Hamilton from Dockyard as well, as I understand it.

I think you will not have a problem taking the ferry to St. George, bus to Hamilton, stopping at the Swizzle and ferry back to the Dockyard if the ship arrives on time. The problems seem to have been the buses from the Dockyard to the Beaches and the ferry problem would only be if the ship is late getting to Bermuda.

Taxi rates are about $35 an hour for one to four and $50 an hour for five-six. There is surcharge on weekends and holidays.

I like this itinerary. The key is getting the ferry to St Georges. If that works OK, the rest of the day is manageable.

Beasfriend, you've been to Bermuda before, so you have a sense of the layout of the island and its transportation. Keep an eye on your watch and you'll be OK. If time is tight in Hamilton, you can always skip the shopping there and just get the ferry back to Dockyard.

Yes, the huge issue that got a life of its own here on the boards last week was caused in large part bec. the ship was late.. which can happen anytime but which always - in any port this happens - causes a bit of mayhem.. It happened to us once in St Thomas and all 2500+ (or more) people on the ship were in the lobby waiting to get off.. it was utter chaos.

Buses to beaches are diff. from bus into Hamilton from Dockyard as well, as I understand it.

It is more than something something that just happened when the ship was late. That made a marginal transportation situation at Dockyard into chaos, but the week before when I was there, the bus and ferry capacity and schedule were inadequate to handle passenger demand, and we were warned in a letter from the ship to allow for additional travel time. The authorities refused to sell two day transportation passes...a strong hint that they were discouraging passengers from planning to depend on two days of available buses and ferries.

Njhorseman is correct. This is not just because the ship was late. That incident just happened to be the catalyst for the media attention. I have been speaking to my florist in St. George, and my makeup artist, in Hamilton, quiet frequently lately, and it is confirmed...the bus/ferry system is a disaster country wide. Hopefully traveling at off peak hours will be a bit less stressful. Otherwise, I would just be prepared to take a taxi, like you would anywhere else. There will be plenty of people cruising with you, attend the meet & greet. Make friends, and find other groups with similar itineraries where you can carpool. Life gives you lemons, grab some salt & tequila and do shots!!

A taxi is much more expensive than a bus when you are talking about transporting multiple children since 5-16 is $2 for all zones and under 5 is free. I'm assuming that taxis charge for all ages as 1 person.

A taxi is much more expensive than a bus when you are talking about transporting multiple children since 5-16 is $2 for all zones and under 5 is free. I'm assuming that taxis charge for all ages as 1 person.

I haven't taken a taxi in Bermuda in a while, but I believe a metered taxi charges by the mile, regardless of the number of passengers, unlike many Caribbean taxis that charge per person. Sightseeing taxis paid by the hour might charge per person.

Njhorseman is correct. This is not just because the ship was late. That incident just happened to be the catalyst for the media attention. I have been speaking to my florist in St. George, and my makeup artist, in Hamilton, quiet frequently lately, and it is confirmed...the bus/ferry system is a disaster country wide. Hopefully traveling at off peak hours will be a bit less stressful. Otherwise, I would just be prepared to take a taxi, like you would anywhere else. There will be plenty of people cruising with you, attend the meet & greet. Make friends, and find other groups with similar itineraries where you can carpool. Life gives you lemons, grab some salt & tequila and do shots!!

That's because we live in NEW JERSEY ! We have to "roll with the punches" in this busy tri-state area, don't we ?!! :D

Hi 3rdGen,

Nope, the taxis when hired for a tour charge by the hour FOR THE CAB.

Same price if you're one passenger or fill the cab.

Have Fun!

I just read that this has changed because of the bus and transportation problems. It was noted that cabs are now charging $6 per passenger to get to Horseshoe Bay.

I just read that this has changed because of the bus and transportation problems. It was noted that cabs are now charging $6 per passenger to get to Horseshoe Bay.

32N64W is talking about hiring the taxi for a tour, which normally involves a minimum 3 hour booking. The $6 per person Dockyard to Horseshoe fare appears to be a group ride rate. They just pile people into the cab until it's full. If you just want a taxi to take you to Horseshoe (not group ride) it will be on the meter. There are three ways fare may be determined:

The $6 a head group ride to Horseshoe

Your taking your own taxi (non group ride), which is on the meter

Hiring a taxi for a tour, which has a 3 hour minimum and carries a flat hourly charge.

Just got back from Bermuda and we had a GREAT time!

We had no problems what so ever w/ the ferries or busses. There were plenty of busses and ferries. I was worried for nothing!

Side note you may not want to get on the BIG ferry from or to St George as it is VERY SLOW! It took us 1 1/2 hours to get from St George to the dockyard as the other smaller ferry only took 45 minutes.

The only complaint about the ferry would be them not having enough to and from St Georges.

Hi Sarahhc

Hold the phone there!

Where did you get that figure of $200 to get six people to St. George's???

I just called the cab company and they told me that from Dockyard to St. George's is about $50 (plus tip) for a minivan type cab that holds six people.

That's less than $10 each!

Maybe you're forgetting that the meter cost is for the CAB - not Per Passenger.

Don't sweat it, okay? We want you to come and...

Have Fun!

When we got to the dockyard we were quoted $90 per cab. We couldnt fit everyone in one cab so we would have had to have 2.

From the ferry in St George to Tobacco Bay (which is roughly a mile) was $12 plus tip.

Just got back from Bermuda and we had a GREAT time!

We had no problems what so ever w/ the ferries or busses. There were plenty of busses and ferries. I was worried for nothing!

Side note you may not want to get on the BIG ferry from or to St George as it is VERY SLOW! It took us 1 1/2 hours to get from St George to the dockyard as the other smaller ferry only took 45 minutes.

The only complaint about the ferry would be them not having enough to and from St Georges.

I kind of figured that would be the case. There are some problems there but things got sensationalized out of proportion. Glad you had a great time.

Archived