Formal for petite teen who hates to dress up

AndyB

I need help from you fashionistas out there - I'm sailing on Celebrity Eclipse in November with my husband, son (10) and stepdaugher (18). This will be her first time sailing with us (she lives with her mom). We alway have pictures taken on the formal nights, and DS is cool putting on a suit for that. We've told DD that she's expected to participate in one formal night and dress appropriately. I want to help her find something she'll be comfortable in.

Any ideas for what would be flattering and comfortable on a 5-foot-nothing, petite, introverted girl? She's most comfortable in dark graphic tees and long black pants - not quite Goth, but heading in that direction. She also looks much younger than she is (which she hates, so maybe that's a plus for getting her to dress up).

Please help - I'm in unchartered waters with a teenage girl!

Andrea

Try Ebay or do a search for gothic prom dress. I saw some conservative, yet goth-teen looking dresses that might work. Hopefully you both can find something you can agree on and it will be a bonding experience too. :)

(Mother of 3)

Take her to a dept. store....they have tons of evening appropriate clothes....sure, some will be frilly "prom" style, but they have other stuff, too!

It's really easiest if she can try things on, especially, being petite...you don't want to buy and return, buy and return online!

Hot Topic has some absolutely adorable dressy dresses on their web site that would work for formal night. If she's into a "headed towards Goth" look, she probably already shops there so I imagine a lot less resistance. And their dresses seem to average around $40, so affordable.

762735_hi.jpg.8fb9ef047965cba3289ff58dc20cb1b6.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions - ducklite, you're right - she already shops at Hot Topic, but given what she normally wears it didn't occur to me they'd have anything dressy.

If I were a couple of decades younger I'd be all over Hot Topic, I love their dresses.

By the way--a small skull print looks like a small floral print in dimmer light, no one will notice. Don't ask how I know. ;-)

I agree with checking out goth dresses but she should also check a regular ''little black dress'', many are in stretch fabric so very comfortable. Then she can decide to go with or without a bolero (black or bright color). Charleston style dress might work well too (http://www.flappercostumes.com/charleston_black_flapper_dress.html - without the BOA please)

And I just found a very special beautiful dress : http://www.dressale.com/new-arrival-little-black-dress-with-the-cute-bodice-and-the-mini-bubble-skirt-p-1769.html

And there are many other interesting ones on this site too.

Oh, and if you have the store Le Chateau, I always like their dresses and many have a special look.

I am short too (5'2'') and shorter dress work much better than longer one, she should keep that in mind (and you too if you expect a long gown :D). Please, let us know what she choses and post a picture if you can, it's nice to have feedback.

Thanks for the suggestions - ducklite, you're right - she already shops at Hot Topic, but given what she normally wears it didn't occur to me they'd have anything dressy.

i was gonna suggest this store as well. my daughter found a pretty black dress that's corsette like on top,, (not too sexy) and poofs out on the bottom, she loved it. 40 or 5o bucks.. then i saw a similar dress in Macy's on the clearance rack for next to nothing.. if she's shy she may want something simpler, but she has to be willling to look. she may need an incentive...

I am also 5'0 nothing! lol! About a size 3/4-5/6. 134 pounds. I bodybuild so I hold a little muscle. Anyway, I found a really cute dress on ebay for 36.00. The seller has a lot of cute stuff all under 40 and very true to size. Just use the size chart. And all the dresses come in a lot of colors. Here is a pic of mine. I also got it in red.

dress.jpg.e2a63e6e1c084b5b7e604a386fa03444.jpg

We're going on our first cruise to the Bahamas in August and I have the same issue with my 17 daughter--her "school uniform" is boy's jeans and t-shirts (I can't believe she's wearing a dress to her prom!) She's grudgingly agreed to get a dress for the cruise but oddly, doesn't want a black one. Another post suggested ebay and you could find a nice selection there. While searching around the internet I found this site that has really cute ones: http://www.itsacowgirlthing.com/shop/search.aspx (search for "sublimation tube dress")

Good luck in your search!:)

I was a teeny tiny little thing , and wasn't comfy in dresses at her age either.

I would look for some narrow, dressy black pants and a pretty top -- since she is "almost Goth" she might like a jewel tone, like a dark red or deep purple silk.

Some of the girls around here are wearing tuxedo style pants with the satin stripe down the leg. The vertical line would not only dress the look up, but make her look taller as well.

Thank you all for the suggestions! I'm going to send her some ideas by email,and when she comes to visit this summer we'll hit the stores and see what she likes "on". We don't cruise until November, so we've got time.

Archived