Grandparent traveling w/14yo grandchild 6/2012

I'm taking my granddaughter on a 7 day cruise with Carnival preferrably first week of June 2012. I havent decided which ship yet. Just wondering if any other grandparents taking a grandchild on cruise about this time. I know she'd have a better time if had other kids her age along.

Shes recently been in a bad wreck & I want to make sure this is a very special trip for her. She has a lacerated spleen, kidney & liver. As well as a ruptured bladder. A broken tailbone, 3 broken bones in her lower back, & her pelvis broke in 3 places. R hip & femur are broke & have had a rod & pins surgically placed in them to hold together. 2 bones in her lower L leg are broke & in a full length cast. Her R arm is broke in 4 places as well as wrist, hand & a finger. She has numerous plates, screws & pins throughout this arm. The nerves in this arm & hand have been damaged but not severed so we are hopeful she will recover most use of this arm & hand.She has a cast on lower arm & a brace the full length of arm. She cannot bear any weight for 3 to 5 months til bones are healed so is bedridden. She will then enter a rehab in house facility. I am hopeful that Harley will be walking, running & full use of her arms in time to enjoy a Carnival cruise & race me on the waterslide in June 2012.

Not sure if this is where I should post this. I'm just trying to make sure I give her the best trip possible. (Grandmas are not the most exciting ppl to a 14 yo in waterworks)I'm also using this trip as encouragement for her to be able to tolerate the excruiciating pain she must endure in order to get through this.

She has an awful lot to overcome, but with support like yours I am sure she will come through just fine. I have taken my oldest granddaughter on two cruises recently, one when she was 12, and again when she was 13. She absolutely loves cruising, even when she was hanging out with her old Granny and friends. She took part in some of the Camp Carnival activities, but she actually liked being with us as well doing the grownup things. We took quite a few tours on the different islands, and she loved those as well. In fact she just did a school project on the most recent tour in St. Kitts, and her computer presentation has won first prize in the regional competition and is now going to the state finals. I am sure that your granddaughter is going to have a great time, and I wish her a successful and speedy recovery.

You will be making the best memories. I have cruised for the last nine years with my grandsons and they have both been VIPs for a few years. When given a choice of vacations they always choose a cruise. Now they are helping me with my bucket list. We have such special times. PRICELESS

I'm sending warm wishes to you, your granddaughter, and the rest of your family. What a heart wrenching experience to watch a child go through this. I highly recommend you hit the roll call for your trip. You should be able to hook up with some other families with similarly aged children and even set something up in advance. My only warning is not to bother until about 3-6 months before the cruise, since the roll calls don't always get active until then. Good luck and have a great time!

Oh my Lord....that poor girl, but lucky amnd thankfully to be alive!!! Thats the main thing she is alive, now she needs to learn (if not have done already so) to be mentally strong minded, a fighter and push herself to get herself better. I am a cancer survivor and I have anoloking spondolosis and fibromyalgia along with many other health problems and I know what it is like to struggle with pain everyday, but I learned its just a part of me and I learned to be mentally strong and not to give in as many would just lie in bed with all the pain, although she has to rest of course and pace herself well. She has family now that giving her support, she has family that are loving her and understand what she is going through that is a big help trust me. No child no child should live in any type of pain neverless have an accident to cause her the situation she now has. I pray to God she keeps strong minded, that she never give up getting herself all better, I pray that she makes a full recovery (mind over matter is best to have) and I pray that she be walking next year on that ship!

I totally agree this cruise will be a great tool for her to think of when she goes through all the struggles that this accident has caused her. When one has something good to look forward to sometimes the mind is more eager/quicker to get itself better and the body fights harder to physically get better. (you already know this)

I see that you live in Mississippi would you prefer taking a cruise out of New Orleans or perhaps Tampa? I would choose a port that is closest to your home.

I think any ship would be great and I certainly would choose a handicap cabin (as they have bars in the shower, just in case). Are you set with one particular cruise line or you considering others? I also suggest going for a larger ship opposed to an older smaller ship, this way IF there is any rocking a larger/newer ship tolerates it much better than the older ones.

My girlfriend (63) takes her grand children all the time. My parents taken my children too, nothing wrong with grandparents taking their grandkids, only thing you may need is a permission letter notarized stating in case of emergency you can make the decisions, when I took my kids (they grown up now) friends, I did this and never did the cruise line ask to see it but better safe than sorry.

I think its a wonderful thing you came up with and do know it will help her recover. :)

I forgot to tell you something.....and this is proven throughout the years for me...and my girlfriend also has fibromyalgia the one that cruises all the time and takes her grandkids....and my neighbor also....

What we all find in common is that after a day at sea we have alot less pains! I been trying to understand why, I taken land vacations and still in pain but cruises we all feel so much better. I not sure if it has something to do with the salt air, pressure, who knows...but I can tell you living with this medical condition when I take a cruise after the first day, I have lots less pain, in fact, feel so much better I just wish I could live on a cruise ship.

Your a great grandmother and surely have come up with something positive for your grandaughter to get herself healed up and feeling better and what better way to do it than to have her to look forward to this cruise with you. :) Hug to you.

We took our granddaughter on her first cruise a couple of years ago and it was the best trip ever!!!

Remember to fill out the form, signed by her parents, that gives you permission to take her out of the country and make medical decisions for her if necessary. You may never be asked for it, but if they ask and you don't have it you could be denied boarding.....

I hope you have a wonderful trip and that your granddaughter has a speedy recovery.

Blessings to all of you!!!!

We just took our grand daughter on a cruise on the Pride in February. She isnt as old as your grand daughter (she is 5) she had the bestest time.

We tried her in the camp- she did meet new friends but she did not want to go back the rest of the week- told us she has more fun with us. (AWWW)

and with the new friends she made at the first meet and greet and at camp that first morning-- she played with while we were waiting for a show-- or waiting for trivia..

She wants to go to Aruba with us-- we told her maybe next year.

The memories are precious.

Oh my, your Granddaughter is going through a lot. I hope she can recover to full health and keeps her spirits up during this time. As a side note, consider counseling for her. I was in a severe car accident in the 80's when I was about her age, and back then counseling wasn't something that people did, so my parents never sent me. In hindsight, I think it would have been beneficial for me, as it took me years to get over the trauma.

I think she'll love that she has something fun like a cruise to look forward to, that will help her through her rough days. She'll meet plenty of kids at the camp. I just got back from a cruise on the Freedom and we never saw many kids around because they were all at the camp, so it must be fun :) Good luck to you and your Granddaughter.

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update. These last few months have been very busy. My 13 yo granddaughter has been through being bedridden, in diapers, forced to rely on bedbaths & pthers for her total care. I'm excited to tell u she is now walking, taking her own showers, & basically doing most eveeyrhinf on her own. She is still in physical therapy 3 times a week but is preparing for school next week. Thanks for your support!

I am so relieved that your Grandaughter is on the mend. What a tramatic event for everyone involved. How heart wrenching to watch someone you love fight such a battle.

I always think having something wonderful to look forward to is good medicine.

I haven't taken a cruise with my grandkids yet but I sure look forward to that experience. I know it will be memorable for both of you. It will be a real celebration of life.

Kris

Don't be surprised if your granddaughter would rather hang with you than go to Camp Carnival or other activities. The bond between grands and kids is such a special one! Have you thought about Alaska. There's so much to see and do and many things won't require too much physical activity for a healing young lady. Best to both of you.

I am so happy for you and your Granddaughter.

As a side note, I don't know if the screws in her bones will set off the metal detector or not. You may need to get a note from one of her Doctors specifying she has metal inside. Will make it less stress free..lol.

Melanie

So glad to hear your granddaughter is doing better, my thoughts and prayers to her.

My grandaughter is 12 and loves cruising with me. We leave next week for her 16th cruise with me.....I started taking her when she was 2. We have a great time....some she spends with the kids groups and some with me.

She has become quite a little "foodie" and has tried about everything on the menu! She also loves the shows.

Next summer I am surprising her and taking her on a 12 night Med Cruise....this is her 13th birthday present.

Archived