Jeans in steakhouse

NAUdebo

Ah, there's nothing like a topic about formal-wear to bring out scenes of the eternal class struggle!

IMHO how you choose to dress on vacation has nothing to do with class.

It's just a vacation people, not the "eternal class struggle".

But of course the wonderful thing about all this dress code talk is that it's only done on Cruise Critic, never on-board the ship.

And I hope it always stays that way.

This seems really easy to me.

One of the reasons i choose Carnival is because of the casual dress guidelines.

If I wanted more formal cruising I would take another Celebrity cruise. They have a whole bunch of dress codes, enough to keep a Cruise Critic member in Dress Code heaven.:)

It's not 'our' version of the rules that are being posted. I have simply copy and pasted from the Carnival Website. It's not hard.

And yes, Carnival is casual and that's great. The issue I have been putting forth is that folks can't even follow the few guidelines Carnival does have regarding dress.

As others have said, this is nothing to do with class.

that's because you keep posting the dress code for the mdr.

There's a sign on the ships with steakhouses that says "Jeans allowed on cruise casual night" for the steakhouse. These have been there since last year at least. The same text appears on the carnival website.

And yes, Carnival is casual and that's great. The issue I have been putting forth is that folks can't even follow the few guidelines Carnival does have regarding dress.

I'm beating a dead horse with this crowd but here goes.

With all due respect.

Who cares.

Most people would not even care enough to notice.

I still have not seen anyone address my point that jeans were already allowed in the Steakhouses on any night other than Cruise Elegant night. I don't understand why this is being touted as new.

But again, I don't like it. Which is fine. My business can go elsewhere.

It's academic really what the policies are (not just dress policies) because they are continually ignored by both guests and Carnival staff. They may as well not be there.

And please, before anyone jumps all over me, I'm just expressing my opinion. I am not looking down on anyone that wants to ignore policies, that's your choice and I have no say in it. But I am allowed to not like it.

We get it. You're a Barney from How I Met Your Mother. You like to "Suit Up." Others...like myself...think a NICE pair of jeans with a dress shirt and a nice pair of shoes can look just as good on a man!

The rule is as it is because not everyone thinks like you. The OP thought it was news...his bad. Geez. Now...go Suit Up! for your next soiree!

-Ashley

We get it. You're a Barney from How I Met Your Mother. You like to "Suit Up." Others...like myself...think a NICE pair of jeans with a dress shirt and a nice pair of shoes can look just as good on a man!

The rule is as it is because not everyone thinks like you. The OP thought it was news...his bad. Geez. Now...go Suit Up! for your next soiree!

-Ashley

It's amazing how some people insist on being disrespectful and rude towards those who don't share their "anything goes" opinion. My opinion is one of many, and what Carnival decides to do is their business, based on the will of the majority. I get that. I'm with Nezmo, though - those of us who disagree have every right to our opinion, and it's just as valid as any other.

Let's face it. There is a constant, ongoing push on just about every cruise line to take things in a more casual direction. It's never enough until the policy becomes no policy at all. First it's the end of formal night, then jeans in the MDR, then jeans in the one place that was designed as an upgraded experience. How long until "cruise elegant" night goes away too? When will shorts become acceptable all the time in every location? Why not t-shirts in the Steakhouse, even though John Heald claims it will never happen? I don't think those of you who are in favor of casual dress all the time will stop until all the rules are gone, all in the name of "why does it matter what other people wear, it doesn't affect me!".

There's nothing inappropriate with being of the opinion that cruising is a special vacation, and one with some longstanding traditions. When you serve dinner to me on china, course by course, by well-dressed waitstaff on white tablecloths, I'm going to respond in a way that is appropriate in my opinion. I won't wear jeans or a t-shirt. I don't get to enjoy that environment every day. I choose to treat the occasion with an upgraded style I believe it deserves. And no, what everyone else does WON'T ruin my dinner or my cruise. It may affect my choice of which line to sail on, however. To each their own - but no need to accuse people like me of being snobs, elitists, or unwelcoming just because of our preferences.

For those of you who are in favor of a casual experience, I appreciate your opinion. I hope you realize that for the most part, other than two evenings a week, Carnival has provided you the dress rules you desire. Don't be surprised that those of us who disagree feel strongly about having at least one place on the ship that chooses to hold a higher standard. You've won. Congrats.

It's amazing how some people insist on being disrespectful and rude towards those who don't share their "anything goes" opinion. My opinion is one of many, and what Carnival decides to do is their business, based on the will of the majority. I get that. I'm with Nezmo, though - those of us who disagree have every right to our opinion, and it's just as valid as any other.

Let's face it. There is a constant, ongoing push on just about every cruise line to take things in a more casual direction. It's never enough until the policy becomes no policy at all. First it's the end of formal night, then jeans in the MDR, then jeans in the one place that was designed as an upgraded experience. How long until "cruise elegant" night goes away too? When will shorts become acceptable all the time in every location? Why not t-shirts in the Steakhouse, even though John Heald claims it will never happen? I don't think those of you who are in favor of casual dress all the time will stop until all the rules are gone, all in the name of "why does it matter what other people wear, it doesn't affect me!".

There's nothing inappropriate with being of the opinion that cruising is a special vacation, and one with some longstanding traditions. When you serve dinner to me on china, course by course, by well-dressed waitstaff on white tablecloths, I'm going to respond in a way that is appropriate in my opinion. I won't wear jeans or a t-shirt. I don't get to enjoy that environment every day. I choose to treat the occasion with an upgraded style I believe it deserves. And no, what everyone else does WON'T ruin my dinner or my cruise. It may affect my choice of which line to sail on, however. To each their own - but no need to accuse people like me of being snobs, elitists, or unwelcoming just because of our preferences.

For those of you who are in favor of a casual experience, I appreciate your opinion. I hope you realize that for the most part, other than two evenings a week, Carnival has provided you the dress rules you desire. Don't be surprised that those of us who disagree feel strongly about having at least one place on the ship that chooses to hold a higher standard. You've won. Congrats.

Thank you, well put. Unfortunately your well thought out reply will get shot down like everything else.

-Ashley

And as I said several times, I don't look down on those that wish to go causal. I'm not sure why you see fit to reply like you did.

I appreciate the view of others. Can you not see mine without throwing names out?

We all have different views on the subject. None are wrong. Why do people feel the put down others' viewpoint?

I have said repeatedly I don't like it. That's a fact. I don't feel the need to tell those that want to do something different that they are wrong.

It doesn't spoil it for me. I will continue to wear a suit and on non Elegant nights, smarts dress pants and shirt and probably a jacket. But I don;t like to see the jeans and flops, etc. Dress how you want; you're going to anyway just don't call me a snob for wanting something a little different. That's what irks me.

Carnival sold the Supper Clubs/Steakhouse as something elegant, for a fee. My definition of elegant is not denim, no matter how expensive or tidy. So forgive me for baulking when they change things on me.

Everyone & anyone can dress down but has society forgot how to dressup?

My wife and I are looking forward to dressing up for a "formal dinner" on our upcoming cruise. Who's with us!

Per John Heald:

Jeans are allowed in the Steakhouse on all ships beginning immediately.

Thoughts?

More lack of quality news from Carnival-mart. :(

Carnival is a ship that is sinking (as far as quality goes) fast. Pretty soon they'll have "Roll-back pricing" on their cruises!

More lack of quality news from Carnival-mart. :(

Carnival is a ship that is sinking (as far as quality goes) fast. Pretty soon they'll have "Roll-back pricing" on their cruises!

How does a dress codes = quality in any way?

Are we really talking about the quality of people who cruise Carnival?

In your opinion do only low quality people shop at Walmart?

BTW I am a proud Carnival cruiser and a proud Walmart shopper.:D

Guess that's pretty low quality.

How does a dress codes = quality in any way?

Are we really talking about the quality of people who cruise Carnival?

In your opinion do only low quality people shop at Walmart?

BTW I am a proud Carnival cruiser and a proud Walmart shopper.:D

Guess that's pretty low quality.

it's not that more appalachian americans be sailing.

it's that carnival is lowering its standards to cater to them.

Woo is me - I personally don't care what anyone wears./doesn't wear/won't wear and I also am a wine taster but a cup does not make me a sommelier. But when I go to the steak house I do like to dress up but that is me - I have even seen people with jeans and hoodies on - did it ruin my dinner - not a chance. I am with the one I love and enjoy our time together not others time. Personally, I feel they should drop all of the codes and let people do what they want to do/when they want to do/how they want to do - it does not affect me what so ever.

I feel exactly the same!

no need for an alternative dining venue any longer then, eh?

No, just the fact that I go to said venue for the food, thats about it. It's a personal attitude, but the whole ambiance of the venue and how other people are dressed really doesn't concern me or effect my meal. For some it does. For me, I really never noticed. If you asked me to describe what 2 other people were wearing in the Steakhouse some night 10 minutes after I left, I'm sure I couldn't. Maybe I'm just narcissistic:).

They were already allowed.

This has been in the Carnival FAQ well BEFORE John's announcement.

"The dress code for the Steakhouse is Cruise Elegant (Jeans permitted on Cruise Casual evenings)."

I have seen jeans in the Steakhouse already.

Personally, I don't like it.

LOL! That's what I was gonna say.........last December it was allowed on our cruise.......had it on a sign where you make reservations.....

The dress code changed when they changed the name of the venue......from supperclub to steakhouse. It's a friggin steakhouse......all the steakhouses where we dine at home allow jeans.......

We could smell change in the air when they stripped the live entertainment duo from the Supper Clubs.

... of course, I used to enjoy the harp when dining in Murano on Celebrity. That is a thing of the past as well... along with the Château Lafite Rothschild that used to be on their wine pairing menu (talk about a good deal). It would seem everyone is cutting back sadly...

Tom

Everyone & anyone can dress down but has society forgot how to dressup?

My wife and I are looking forward to dressing up for a "formal dinner" on our upcoming cruise. Who's with us!

Not us. Carnival does not have formal nights.

The dress code changed when they changed the name of the venue......from supperclub to steakhouse. It's a friggin steakhouse......all the steakhouses where we dine at home allow jeans.......

I think it's funny how people think that clothing makes/breaks the dining experience. Pretty sure you could go to French Laundry and have the best meal of your life, and they aren't turning anyone away for wearing jeans....

Archived