Weight Gain on Cruise

lladybug01

:sarcasm on; The weight gain is due to the fact that since you are at sea level, the atmospheric pressure is higher than at home (Unless you live in Death Valley, in which case you should be darned glad to be on a ship). The higher pressure causes in infusion of atmospheric molecules into your system, resulting in a weight gain!. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it! :sarcasm off;

I get it. That explains why I didn't gain any weight on a cruise. I live at sea level, about five miles from Port Everglades. But that also means that I would be several pounds lighter in, say, Denver. So I'm going to, from now on, subtract 5 pounds when I weigh.

The thing that hurts any diet is sugar and alcohol. Your body cannot store alcohol so it has to burn it off first before burning off the other calories.

While everyone's motives are good by using the stairs and the gym a person is not really burning up that many calories to offset all the excess calories that they consume on cruise. The extra effort is always beneficial but it can give you a false justification to be able to eat more.

One hour on a treadmill a person may burn 400 calories if you are going at a fast pace. But that is not really a true extra 400 calories burned because you burn calories when sitting and sleeping so the actual extra may only be 300. That is 2 regular beers or 3 light beers.

Some of those deserts have about 600 to 800 calories and those are the killers along with the creamy soups, glasses of juice, gravies and sauces.

What you need to do is build muscle to increase your metabolism and eat the proper percentages of carbs, protein and fat. When you do that your body becomes a calorie burning machine. The problem is to keep eating the same way on a cruise and for many it is not easy because there are so many temptations.

One week won't really make that much difference if you try to eat sensible but stray a little. Your body needs a break and a change occasionally.

The thing that hurts any diet is sugar and alcohol. Your body cannot store alcohol so it has to burn it off first before burning off the other calories.

While everyone's motives are good by using the stairs and the gym a person is not really burning up that many calories to offset all the excess calories that they consume on cruise. The extra effort is always beneficial but it can give you a false justification to be able to eat more.

One hour on a treadmill a person may burn 400 calories if you are going at a fast pace. But that is not really a true extra 400 calories burned because you burn calories when sitting and sleeping so the actual extra may only be 300. That is 2 regular beers or 3 light beers.

Some of those deserts have about 600 to 800 calories and those are the killers along with the creamy soups, glasses of juice, gravies and sauces.

What you need to do is build muscle to increase your metabolism and eat the proper percentages of carbs, protein and fat. When you do that your body becomes a calorie burning machine. The problem is to keep eating the same way on a cruise and for many it is not easy because there are so many temptations.

One week won't really make that much difference if you try to eat sensible but stray a little. Your body needs a break and a change occasionally.

Well put. Many people do not understand the importance of weight training. I am in the gym doing weights 6 days a week and run maybe 30 miles a week (I live only 2 miles from the port of Miami and I get to run by the ships every weekend :) ). Utilize the gym services that the ship offers. They have many classes that will help you keep the weight off. Also do not skip meals. Have several small sensible meals throughout the day.

Personally, I've never gained weight on a cruise. Nor have I lost any.. :p

The recipe? Lots and lots of walking. We've been on cruises with pretty intense ports (Med), with lots to see and do. And I have to admit, I like snacking my way through the different countries - gelato and pizza in Italy, crepes in France and so on. It's all a part of the experience, as well as snacking my way through the restaurants onboard.

But I think portion control also has something to say in the matter. You can have a taste without overdoing it, even though your wits go out the window and your instincts tell you to stuff yourself just because you can. We're programmed to do so, but with being conscious about it helps a lot.

That being said, hubby and I combined have lost the weight of an average, european adult the last two years on a strict lowcarb diet, and it has changed how we eat in general, even now on a "maintenance" diet. Lots and lots of veggies, very little starchy stuff like taters, rice, pasta, bread.

Those holidays are the only times we slack off on our diet... so when I eat that Roman gelato, it's all about enjoying every last drop of it and I don't worry an iota about any effect on my weight. (Had it been fourteen gelatos, on the other hand...)

They have a saying here that says "It's not about what you eat between Christmas and New Year (or Thanksgiving in your case, maybe?), but what you eat between New Year and Christmas." That can easily be applied for cruising as well, don't you think? :D

Enjoy your vacation, people, you've earned it!

I only eat low calorie, healthy foods, like waffles. :D

I'm with you, Ed! I don't have a personal chef at home making me waffles to order. I don't have an egg man who remembers exactly how I like my egg and smoked salmon.

To me, these indulgences are part of the enjoyment of the cruise. :D Then there's the rum raisin ice cream. This is making me hungry! Good thing I've got a cruise coming up!

I've only cruised twice. I gained 5 or so pounds the first time and 7 the second (slightly longer cruise). I definitely would have been been more comfortable with clothes 1 size larger at the end of the cruise. BUT very little of the weight was permanent. I lost most of the weight in the first 2 days home! All water! What I need to do is figure out how to NOT retain that water on the cruise. I regret the discomfort of the water retention more than the work to take the real weight gain off (splurging was worth THAT extra work). I will definitely be looking for hints for preventing water retention!

I've only cruised twice. I gained 5 or so pounds the first time and 7 the second (slightly longer cruise). I definitely would have been been more comfortable with clothes 1 size larger at the end of the cruise. BUT very little of the weight was permanent. I lost most of the weight in the first 2 days home! All water! What I need to do is figure out how to NOT retain that water on the cruise. I regret the discomfort of the water retention more than the work to take the real weight gain off (splurging was worth THAT extra work). I will definitely be looking for hints for preventing water retention!

Here are a few tips that can help you.....

-avoid salty foods (also junk food)

-Eat a banana every day

-Ice your legs down if they are swollen

-eat plain low-fat yogurt

-try to regularly exercise

-keep your feet up while resting

-stay hydrated (not with alcohol)

My Wife went on a diet a couple of weeks before the cruise and lost 10 pounds; she gained 12 pounds while on a 14 days cruise in March, 2011. So, can you gain weight - yes! Please keep in mind, it was not due to drinking, she had MAYBE 5 coctails the entire trip; drank lots of water; no late night eating. But boy, did she love the cream brulee. :D

Never gain any wait, although do not have a water retention issue:-0

Just don't feel like you have to eat as much as you can stuff in your belly and don't sit on your butt all day:-) Focusing on all the good fruit and salads and seafood dishes would help in place of tons of potatos and other starches that are stored as FAT.

Or just relax and enjoy whatever feels good to you and what happens happens - you are on vacation.

Archived