Which junior suite on IOS?

We are looking at booking a junior suite on Independence of the Seas next year for the Canary Islands. Which is better -- deck 7 aft, or deck 9 on the hump? We really like the aft cabins on the Radiance class ships, and distance is not a particular issue if we receive some additional benefit from the aft cabin, like a larger deck or better view. I seem to remember reading about soot being an issue for the aft cabins on this class of ship though. Can anyone confirm?

Not only is soot an issue, but you won't have a clear view of the sea. There is a crisscross of beams extending beyond your balcony, and the decks below are staggered outwards, with a large extension of deck 6 (crew area), so you have to look far out through obstructions to see the sea. This doesn't bother some people, but to us, it was like overlooking a construction zone.

I'd take the deck 9 hump cabin, as long as it isn't under the suite with the piano.

We. too, enjoy the convenience of the hump area....so close to the stairs and elevators, and on deck 9, you're only 2 flights to the pool!

Unless you're planning on hosting a balcony party, a side (or hump) JS balcony is ample for 2 adults!

• 2 years later...
9338 is the best hump JS...beware of 9638 on the port side however since it's located right under the Royal Suite and have had people complain about hearing the piano from above at all hours.

I hope you are right. We have booked 9338 next year:)

We stayed in JS 9634 on the hump, under the Royal Suite, recently on our Norway cruise.

It was perfect, no noise, room and balcony a great size and position.

Perhaps we were lucky and no one was in the RS.

Happy to answer any questions if I can.

9338 is the best hump JS...beware of 9638 on the port side however since it's located right under the Royal Suite and have had people complain about hearing the piano from above at all hours.

We've been in #9638 a few times on Indy & Liberty..only once did we hear the piano (why is a piano necessary :confused:) and luckily it was only the afternoon of embarkation day..If #9338 was booked I'd take my chance on #9638...Have also been in the RFS #9708 and the view was amazing..no problem with an aft on the higher decks.

Between the deck 7 aft and the deck 9 hump, I'd pick the hump. Now, if you can get one of the two deck 10 aft JS (1406 or 1706 I think are the numbers), then it would probably be a bit tougher decision for me.

We have JS 9334 booked on our Feb '14 Indy cruise. It's starboard, front of the hump, and a connecting room. I'm hoping we like it.

Dan.

Archived