Need help picking a cruise please

I have done all the ports except southern and Jamaica. My bf has never cruised and never been to any of the carribbean ports so he is thrilled to just be going. This is a celebrate my divorce cruise so we just want to relax and enjoy ourselves. Now, is the oasis/allure too much for a first time cruiser? I did Liberty and loved it! Love the freshwater pools :) should I stick with freedom for him to try it out? And which is better for a first time cruiser? Eastern or western? My bf works mad hrs at a country club all summer so we want relaxation... He had only one request...he would like to rent a scooter and drive around the island...any input would be appreciated!!

I think Oasis Class is perfect. Wow him right out of the blocks. It's a sure way to get him hooked. I would take the Western route. Since you want relaxation, Labadee is the perfect stop.

For driving around an island, Cozumel is perfect. The far side of the island is all natural beach and it is gorgeous.

If I wanted relaxing I would take a Freedom class ship. I enjoyed the shows on the Oasis but having to have reservations made for a much more structured experience. Less time for vegging out.

If you want to emphasize relaxing, consider going on more than a 7 night cruise.

Some folks find more than 7 nights too long, but for example, we recently went on a 11 night cruise. The first two days were at sea, then a port, then a sea day, then three port days, another sea day, then another port, and finally a sea day.

The point I am making is that sea days intermixed with port days is a lot more relaxing than having 5 port days in a row - at least to me.

Of course, RC is not offering as much in longer cruises as they used to.

We have been on a few cruises now. Our first cruise really stands out. It was the standard 7 day cruise, grand cayman, jamaica, cozumel, and royals port. In grand cayman we did a wave runner tour where we rode the wave runners all the way to sting ray city. Jamacia we climed the water fall. Cozumel we rented a moped and rode around and did the dolphin excurision. All very memorable. When you rent a scooter negotiate and get away from the port a couple blocks. We rented a scooter for the whole day for less then $40. Good luck, enjoy, and have fun.

I think either Oasis or Freedom class would be great. Honestly, Voyager or Radiance class would be, too. If you have three ports that work for you, you can fill three sea days on any of those ships, especially when relaxation is a main goal.

One point about Oasis - I found that booking shows in advance made the cruise more relaxing. Yes, it was a bit more structured ahead of time. But for each show, we knew we had to be in the theatre 15 minutes before showtime, and that virtually guaranteed good seats for a family of four.

On other cruises, we were never quite sure - could we get away with running a few minutes later - would we risk missing the show if we made a quick stop on the way - or whatever? Or did we have to arrive even earlier? We never knew for sure, and that added a bit of stress. But knowing we had 15 minutes in the theatre - we could use that time to chat, review the Compass, have a beverage, or just sit quietly. I found the Oasis very relaxing. The only downside for a first time cruiser would be setting the bar too high for future cruises - my kids now want a flowrider on every vacation! I know on that point, Freedom still works.

I have always liked the Eastern route (qualified by I have never been on a western!) but because it is 3 sea days and 3 port days and one of the ports is Coco Cay, which is their Island so a relaxing day as well. I also vote for Freedom, having never been on Oasis class (but wanting too!) as a first time cruise. Or as someone else mentioned a Voyager or Radiance class. We love St. Thomas and St. Maarten. We ususally rent a jeep on St. Maarten from Arthur's car rental for $75 for the day and they drive on the side of the road we do. :D Then you can have your hair blowing in the wind with the top down and have a conversation about what you are seeing. You can go to Maho Beach and see the planes, go to the French side for lunch and head to Orient for the rest of the afternoon but not feel rushed. Having cruised before though you should know that no matter which ship or which itinerary you choose you will have a blast and there really is no wrong choice here. Enjoy! And let us know the outcome!

Thanks guys/gals! I would LOVE to do longer than 7 days but 1) with the custody arrangement, its just 7 day week I have free... and 2)the BF is lucky that he even gets to go! August is a busy month... but I HAVE to take my 1 week without the kids during the summer :( I am setting the bar high... we won a free 3n cruise and thats on the Majesty so I think he is going to be a bit disapointed (thats after golf season ends). I think its pretty crazy that I can book a suite guarantee on Oasis for less than a JS on Freedom for the same ports/time! I am just excited to be going! I did so many cruises in a short time and now its been 17 months since my last one.. WITHDRAWL! And that cruise wasnt even that great!!

I would cast my vote for the Oasis or Allure. Sure they are larger, but we were wowed at the ship's layout. Generally adults forward and kids aft. The main pools and other recreation is located from about the center of the ship to aft. The Solarium (all the way forward on decks 15 and 16) on the Oasis class is to die for. We spend all week there. It was like a cruise without kids and very, very relaxing. The Solarium cafe is there (food), and of course several bars (drinks...what more do you need?). They actually do run the kids out (we saw deck personnel do it twice) so it is an adult hideaway.

My tip... on deck 16 forward on both the port and starboard sides are two stairways going up to another deck (this is deck 17 forward - not on the deck plans). There will be a gate at the foot of the stairs saying "access for suite guests only" (we were not suite guests). However, that deck is the only cigar smoking deck on the ship. (Two officers said we could go up there if we were cigar smokers. ) Just go throught the gate and up the stairs to an almost private deck, with a bar and a humidor with very nice heavily cusioned seats. Once we found this spot, we were there all week, whether we were smoking cigars or not. I'll bet there weren't more than 6 people up there all the time.

Try it with your BF.

---------------------------

Sea ya!

Hobiecat01

Ron and Lee

Canton, Ga

Proud RCCL Platinum Member

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom,

in water there is bacteria." – Ben Franklin

Previous Cruises – 66 Days at Sea!

Carnival Mardis Gras - 3 Day Bahamas - April 1982

Carnival Destiny - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 1998

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - April 1999

Princess Sea Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2000

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2002

RCCL Navigator of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2003

RCCL Mariner of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 2005

RCCL Freedom of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - 6/18 - 6/25/2006

RCCL Liberty of the Seas - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - 7/19 - 7/26/2008

RCCL Oasis of the Seas –7 Days Eastern Carib. with our Friends – 4/17 – 4/24/2010

Booked Cruises

RCCL Serenade of the Seas – 7 Days Southern Carib. with the kids – 6/26 – 7/3/2011

Planned Cruises

RCCL Allure or Oasis of the Seas – “To the Extreme in 2013” Western Caribbean Cruise - 2013

The Med – 14 day – 2014?

I am almost positive its going to be Oasis.... prices for the weeks we can go are cheaper than Freedom for a suite (sorry, spoiled once, havent gone back!!)....Now Eastern/Western is going to be determined if my stupid ex husband will give me the week I want... if he does, its Western.... he has to fight me on everything so I bet we end up doing Eastern

Archived