Is French Manicure "in" for Med?

Will be headed to Italy and Greece this summer. I decided to try O.P.I. Axxium about 1 1/2 weeks ago and so far I like it. When I went in to get it I was wanting a subtle sand pink color. I got talked into a clear. When I looked at the container it looked like a soft, sheer pink. The manicurist said most people either get the clear or the french manicure so it goes with everything and is not so obvious growing out.

I see the advantage to that but I want something that looks good. Both my husband and daughter chastised me for spending that much on something that looked like just clear polish. So, if I decide to do the french manicure for my vacation, is that "in" in the Med or will I be looked at funny.

I remember when french manicures were the rage. Then they sort of fell out of fashion. I've noticed a few lately, but not many. The axxium seems to be lasting and I will need something for at least 2 weeks. I had stopped getting manicures in the past because I usually chipped or smudged before I could leave the parking lot of the place where I got them. That's why I wanted to give the Axxium a test run first.

Recommendations???

Did French Manicures ever go out of style? I thought they were "classic".

Anyway... I used to get manicures all the time but my nails grow really fast and I type all day at work so the end start cracking and chipping after 4-5 days.

When I need a manicure to last longer than that (just to make my nails and cuticles look nice) I will usually just get a clear polish.

I save "color" and french manicures for special occasions. I haven't tried the Axxium or Gel polish yet, the price scares me. :)

In or out - get what you like. I find the white tips tend to chip in a few days and my French manicures never last as long as a regular polish job. I usually do a very sheer pink or clear when I travel so I can easily fix it. I bring those polish remover packets and always take my own OPI polish to the nail salon so I can touch up any problems. The toes however will be either red or a hot pink all summer long.

I dont know if it matters..it's what you like. Either way, your not from the Mediterrainian so I dont think it matters anyway if it's in or not. I was in Italy over 2 weeks last summer and come to find out, I dont really remember the Italians wearing much nail polish period and I didn't really see nail salons around much...

I just had a french shellac done last month and it looked really good for a few days, but then the white started to turn gray and the shellac over it began to craze and crackle like an old dish. :rolleyes: Eventually, it snagged on things and had to be taken off with polish remover. I think I'd go with something simple that you can touch up on your own. I really like the natural look, so next time I'm going with sand or clear too.

It's funny to hear how many people don't like french manicures. I have had pink and white acrylic for about 15 years now. I just like it because I never had to worry what I'm wearing. Since the white is color of the acrylic it doesn't chip and I usually go 4 weeks until my next fill. I have been in dire need of a fill and women at the poker table have complimented me on how nice my nails look because the growth shows so little with that color on. Love my french mani's. Sorry.

It's funny to hear how many people don't like french manicures. I have had pink and white acrylic for about 15 years now. I just like it because I never had to worry what I'm wearing. Since the white is color of the acrylic it doesn't chip and I usually go 4 weeks until my next fill. I have been in dire need of a fill and women at the poker table have complimented me on how nice my nails look because the growth shows so little with that color on. Love my french mani's. Sorry.

I loved my nails when they were pink and white acrylic!!! But my nails became so soft beneath the acrylic, they began to hurt. Don't know if it was the technique or just my body saying "enough already"! :( I miss them.

Count me in as another one that has never liked the look of the french manicure. I like it even less when people have that look on their toes lol. To each her own though, so wear what you like.

French manicures don't seem to be in style in London except among footbalers' wives, but southern Europe could be different.

However, I did't see them in Florence this April.

IMO a clear or a pale colour on the nails (unless you are under 22 or so) and a darker or brigher colour on the toenails seems a better way to go.

The teenagers seem to be wearing lots of pastel blue.....

Archived