reality calls

meow!

Meow -- I agree with your analysis but not your conclusion about strategy.

I will continue to book early. Only once has the price of my cruise decreased after booking (it was an O cruise) and my TA was able to get me the credit even though the reduced rate was for "new bookings" only. Our recent Asia cruise on Nautica went up in price significantly after booking. My August Celebrity cruise has gone up 1500 pp! I like to choose my cabin and since I have tons of FF miles and hotel points I need to book free Business Class air and free hotels well in advance.

I am anxiously awaiting the release of 2013 itineraries for O, Celebrity, Azamara and river cruises -- I have at least 2 more trips to plan -- not sure if they will all involve cruises -- depends on itineraries. I will likely book the day the itineraries are released. I do not see much risk in that approach.

Actually, I would have expected Celebrity to build a ship like Marina to replace it's aging Century-class ships. They would have been a good compliment to the Solstice-class ships. If they don't work out for O, then maybe.....

Actually, I would have expected Celebrity to build a ship like Marina to replace it's aging Century-class ships. They would have been a good compliment to the Solstice-class ships. If they don't work out for O, then maybe.....
We agree, and at Celebrity's price point, that would be a great deal. We had been on the Mercury and the Century, we like their older smaller ships, sub-2000 passengers.

P.S. Perhaps down the road, if the Fincantieri shipyard has no more orders and employees on long long lay-offs, they might build Oceania's cancelled third option ship and sell it to Celebrity at a discount (and there need not be further design costs). Then we may just be able to gather enough money through the years to give it a try!

With the introduction of the large Riviera, over capacity is likely to increase. Through our decade posting on this board, we have time and again cautioned ALL cruise lines against over expansionism. Among other factors, over expansionism was a key factor in driving the former Renaissance under.

Oceania's management had been very bold in planning the addition of three new large ships just several years ago, tripling its capacity (only Seabourn dared do the same). ...

Oceania appeared to have so much confidence in their own judgment as to ignore historic experience and followed the usual businessmen's innate inclination in expansionism. ...

On the side of ordinary individual consumers, we would guess that it would be wise to postpone bookings, wait for good deals to come down the road, especially after Riviera starts sailing.

This is a good analysis. There seems to be some hubris on the part of management. I'm really surprised that they didn't allocate the second build to Regent, which is crying out for a new ship. Since I'm not in a position to book right now, it's moot, but I think I agree with pacheco18 that booking early is still a good idea.

Clearly no repeat ports on that B to B!!

:)...nope there weren't! But I know from where you speak regarding no repeat ports. We like the longer itins and it wasn't easy to find a B-2-B Oceania itin in 2012 that we liked and minimized the repeat ports.

Kathleen

LOL -- many C cruisers love those Century class ships; others not. When C announced the Solstice was going to be in Australia in 2013, some cancelled their 2012 OZ cruise on Century just to be on an S class ship the following year.

I think the Solstice class ships are wonderful. The M class ships have almost all been Solsticized. Not the same, but an acknowledgement of the popularity of those ships.

I am sure Marina is much different -- I love it all!

I recently booked a cruise on Marina for 2012. If O reduces the prices (similar to what Meow posted) do we get notified & credited the discount?

I would say yes

It may depend on if the new pricing is before or after final payment whether you will get the discounted fare.

Just like most lines it may be for NEW BOOKINGS ONLY

ask your TA if it should happen

lyn

Reality calls for Regent too -- just got this

For a limited time, you can now enjoy 2-for-1 Fares plus NEW bonus savings of up to $10,000 per suite on all of the following voyages. This is in addition to our all-inclusive amenities of FREE Roundtrip Air, FREE Unlimited Shore Excursions and a FREE Luxury Hotel Package.

With these unprecedented savings, availability won't last. To avoid disappointment, book your suite today on one of these exciting and exclusive voyages to the world's most longed for destinations, all with every luxury you can imagine.

Indulge...it's all included.

ISTANBUL TO ATHENS — New Itinerary

EMPIRES OF ANTIQUITY

August 12, 2011

12 Nights | Seven Seas Mariner

FARES FROM $5,999 PER PERSON

Request a Quote | Book Online

Special Offers

Fares include NEW bonus savings of

$10,000 per suite

Business Class upgrades for $999

each way

Specially reduced single supplement of

50% for select suite categories

Kids sail for $1,499, including FREE

Unlimited Shore Excursions

ATHENS TO ROME — New Itinerary

CIVILIZATION'S FOOTPRINT

October 10, 2011

14 Nights | Seven Seas Mariner

FARES FROM $7,499 PER PERSON

Special Offers

$7,000 per suite

each way

Additional Seven Seas Society savings

of up to $1,500 per suite

ROUNDTRIP FT. LAUDERDALE

PINK SAND AND PALMS

October 28, 2011

11 Nights | Seven Seas Navigator

FARES FROM $3,999 PER PERSON

Special Offers

$4,000 per suite

of up to $750 per suite

BARCELONA TO DUBAI

SANDS OF ANTIQUITY

November 28, 2011

21 Nights | Seven Seas Voyager

FARES FROM $8,599 PER PERSON

Special Offers

savings of $10,000 per suite

each way

of up to $2,500 per suite

ROUNDTRIP FT. LAUDERDALE

IDYLLIC ISLES

December 4, 2011

12 Nights | Seven Seas Mariner

FARES FROM $4,299 PER PERSON

Special Offers

$6,000 per suite

of up to $900 per suite

BARCELONA TO ISTANBUL

MEDITERRANEAN PALETTE

April 2, 2012

10 Nights | Seven Seas Mariner

FARES FROM $5,599 PER PERSON

Special Offers

$4,000 per suite

each way

ISTANBUL TO ROME

ART & ANTIQUITY

April 12, 2012

7 Nights | Seven Seas Mariner

FARES FROM $4,499 PER PERSON

Special Offers

Fares include an additional bonus savings $3,600 per suite

each way

of up to $1,100 per suite

MONTE CARLO TO BARCELONA

RIVIERA HIDEAWAYS

April 23, 2012

7 Nights | Seven Seas Mariner

FARES FROM $4,499 PER PERSON

Special Offers

$5,000 per suite

each way

of up to $2,400 per suite

BARCELONA TO ISTANBUL

TUSCANY & THE RIVIERA

April 30, 2012

10 Nights | Seven Seas Mariner

FARES FROM $5,999 PER PERSON

Special Offers

$3,600 per suite

each way

Reality calls for Regent too -- just got this

For a limited time, you can now enjoy 2-for-1 Fares plus NEW bonus savings of up to $10,000 per suite on all of the following voyages. This is in addition to our all-inclusive amenities of FREE Roundtrip Air, FREE Unlimited Shore Excursions and a FREE Luxury Hotel Package.

Thank you kindly pacheco18, for such interesting information.

We don't know, can someone tell us WHETHER the dykes are beginning to crumble on the high fare highly included hitherto seemingly successful marketing scheme of this FDR-Apollo conglomerate?

With respect to Regent, I was told that once they announced the new 2 tier regime "concierge class" giving priority for free excursions and specialty restaurant reservations to more expensive cabins they had a 15% cancellation rate (I was among those who cancelled). I have a pretty good source. Huge mistake. Very long thread on Regent board about this -- lots of angry Regent veterans.

Oceania has increased prices to the point where their inside cabin has pretty much matched the price of a full suite on Seabourn (approx $300.00/day cruise only on average for most itineraries).

An inside 140 sq ft cabin on a 5.5 Star for the same price as a 277 sq ft outside (full picture window) suite just doesn't make any sense.

Add to this the fact that Seabourn includes all beverages (including alcoholic), gratuities, marble bathroom with tub & shower, specialty restaurants, 6 Star service, fully stocked bar, almost one to one passenger to staff ratio etc. etc. & the choice becomes obvious.

Now they are paying the price!

You reap what you sow.

We have reserved the cruise from Dover to Iceland-Greenland in July, 2011. Hopefully, if there are discounts, those of us who sign up early will still get them. Azamara gave us price reductions and upgrade offers, even after we had made full payment. We had a very alert TA who kept checking for us. Apparently, you can get the reduction but you have to ask for it.

It appears that the Istanbul-Athens trips are being deeply discounted. It's also on our "bucket list" so if we find that latecomers are getting discounts and we aren't getting them, it could make more sense to just go on a different cruise. I'm also watching the number of O cruises that have had ports eliminated or shore time reduced. That is also going to influence whether we make a final payment.

In my opinion, O is putting way too much emphasis on providing the "best" food at sea and is ignoring other preferences-itinerary, enrichment lectures, interesting shore excursions, etc. A hotel stay in a world class city will get me all the fine dining I could ever want. I'm looking for more from a cruise.

In my opinion, O is putting way too much emphasis on providing the "best" food at sea and is ignoring other preferences-itinerary, enrichment lectures, interesting shore excursions, etc. A hotel stay in a world class city will get me all the fine dining I could ever want. I'm looking for more from a cruise.

I agree. But from the posts on this board for many it's all about the food. I cruise with another couple and none of us thinks the food on O is "the best at sea." It's good cruise food but not so much better than other cruise food that it would cause me to book O to the exclusion of other lines. In fact, the best food I have had at sea was on the PG and in the specialty restaurants on Celebrity. Frankly, I have not had a decent steak properly cooked in Polo and Toscana is just "OK" IMO (I attended cooking school in Italy so I think I'm a pretty good judge of Italian food). Hoping Jacques and Red Ginger are more stellar. Of course, food is very subjective but O should understand that for many of us food is secondary.

We do not cruise for the food. We cruise for the itinerary. Like you, we would prefer more emphasis on some of the other aspects of cruising that you raise.

Oceania has increased prices to the point where their inside cabin has pretty much matched the price of a full suite on Seabourn (approx $300.00/day cruise only on average for most itineraries).

An inside 140 sq ft cabin on a 5.5 Star for the same price as a 277 sq ft outside (full picture window) suite just doesn't make any sense.

Add to this the fact that Seabourn includes all beverages (including alcoholic), gratuities, marble bathroom with tub & shower, specialty restaurants, 6 Star service, fully stocked bar, almost one to one passenger to staff ratio etc. etc. & the choice becomes obvious.

Now they are paying the price!

You reap what you sow.

We just got the following on Seabourn's sale list:

--------------

7-nts. Venice roundtrip

July 22, 2011

aboard Seabourn Spirit

Starting at $2,199pp.

*Receive a $150pp. SBC or an Exclusive Virtuoso Voyager Club Shore Excursion

Itinerary: Venice, Italy; Ravenna (San Marino), Italy; Korcula, Croatia; Kotor, Montenegro; Sibenik, Croatia; Opatija, Croatia; Venice, Italy

7-nts. Rome to Monte Carlo

June 17, 2011

aboard Seabourn Legend

Starting at $2,399pp.

Itinerary: Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy; Bonifacio, Corsica, France; Le Lavandou, France; Marseille (Provence), France; Sanary sur-Mer, France; Saint Raphael, France; Cannes, France; Monte Carlo, Monaco

7-nts. Monte Carlo to Nice

June 24, 2011

aboard Seabourn Legend

Starting at $2,799pp.

Itinerary: Monte Carlo, Monaco; Antibes, France; Porquerolles, France; Barcelona, Spain; Palamos, Spain; Port-Vendres, France; St Tropez, France; Nice, France

-----------------------

The above voyages have per diem of $300 to $400, and they are in Europe!

Well I, for one, am very pleased. I had the HKG to Athens 35 days booked. I got this recent discount by asking for it, and now I used the extra $2k to book a b2b getting us to Barcelona which I would have otherwise done overland. That's 45 days now, and the extension works out at $73 per day if you add the cost of the new cruise to what we were previously prepared to pay. Happy happy.

Re: reality calls

I found super prices on several web sites for the 9/9/11 Regatta cruise but couldn't get them. Was there some code that you need to get these deals?

Just go to Oceania website & book it from there

Not sure why you cannot get a cabin it looks wide open

LHT28: just curiosity please: how do you (presuming you are a private indidvidual and not a TA) know that an O cruise is 'wide open'? Useful information...

LHT28: just curiosity please: how do you (presuming you are a private indidvidual and not a TA) know that an O cruise is 'wide open'? Useful information...

Just look on the website not many CAT are sold out or waitlisted

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/findcruise/caribbean/reg110909/fares.aspx

so that tells me that there are plenty of cabins still available

If you want to check further just go through the motions of doing a booking it will show available cabins in each CAT (up to 7)

Lyn

This morning, Silversea has announced a bunch of Asian voyages, increasing their usual discount from 60% to 65%. So it is not just Oceania, different cruise lines are following each other in this discount endeavour. Good for the consumer. For those who have the cash, this is brave new world in the context of a double dip recession.

Not only the U.S., also look at Greece, Spain, Ireland ... !

This is good for the consumer but the race to the bottom is very bad for the cruise lines. I hope they all make it through for the long haul. Not sure which one is carrying the biggest debt burden but that would be the one I'd be concerned about.

Archived