7 day Alaska or 12 night Med Cruise?

John73

In looking at total costs for the cruise including airfare, it seems to be pretty close to equal (assuming a Celebrity Tuesday special on Venice) to book a 7 night Alaska cruise out of Vancouver vs a 12 night Venice cruise on Solstice out of Barcelona. I'm guessing that Celebrity is not going to offer an Tuesday specials on the Alaska cruises due to demand there keeping up pretty well. But I see plenty of Med cruises on the Tuesday deals. So, assuming there will be a decent Venice deal on the cruise I'm considering in July, and prices are pretty much the same, would people recommend Alaska or Venice?

It may help to have more info re:what I'm looking for from the cruise. The main point of it would be a break from work and to just get away. I was tempted by an early June Venice cruise on a Tuesday special but that timing didn't work out for getting time off from work. The secondary point would be exploration. I've recently gotten into world travel and exploring new places. I've not been to Alaska or to the Med/Venice yet, so either one would probably accomplish the goals there. I guess it more comes down to whether the extra 5 nights of cruising in the Med will give me that much more than experiencing the beauty of Alaska.

Assuming my hoped for late July Venice cruise comes up on a Tuesday special, I'm solidly leaning that way as I figure I can do Alaska cruises later (and possibly on a Solstice class ship in 2012+). But, I'm open to suggestions and experiences from more knowledgeable cruisers.

In looking at total costs for the cruise including airfare, it seems to be pretty close to equal (assuming a Celebrity Tuesday special on Venice) to book a 7 night Alaska cruise out of Vancouver vs a 12 night Venice cruise on Solstice out of Barcelona. I'm guessing that Celebrity is not going to offer an Tuesday specials on the Alaska cruises due to demand there keeping up pretty well. But I see plenty of Med cruises on the Tuesday deals. So, assuming there will be a decent Venice deal on the cruise I'm considering in July, and prices are pretty much the same, would people recommend Alaska or Venice?

It may help to have more info re:what I'm looking for from the cruise. The main point of it would be a break from work and to just get away. I was tempted by an early June Venice cruise on a Tuesday special but that timing didn't work out for getting time off from work. The secondary point would be exploration. I've recently gotten into world travel and exploring new places. I've not been to Alaska or to the Med/Venice yet, so either one would probably accomplish the goals there. I guess it more comes down to whether the extra 5 nights of cruising in the Med will give me that much more than experiencing the beauty of Alaska.

Assuming my hoped for late July Venice cruise comes up on a Tuesday special, I'm solidly leaning that way as I figure I can do Alaska cruises later (and possibly on a Solstice class ship in 2012+). But, I'm open to suggestions and experiences from more knowledgeable cruisers.

Not an experienced cruiser, but I'd say if you want a break from work, go for the Med cruise. Why? It's longer - yay! It's more "exotic" and it looks like there's more to explore - different countries, different cities, different flavors all in one cruise.

But then again, it's really what ports interest you more - Alaskan beauty and scenery or different cities and countries. Either way, I'm sure you'll have a blast (Yay to vacations!)! :D

that's really comparing apples to oranges. Eastern vs. Western caribbean, or Eastern vs. Western Mediterranean you can compare/contrast, but Alaska vs. Mediterranean are two different experiences.

If you like more scenic views, rustic atmosphere, cooler weather, cloudy days, wildlife viewing, go with Alaska.

I've been to Alaska just to fish and it was really beautiful.

For history, culture, tours, cuisine, can't compare Alaska to Europe.

Me, hands down between the two I would pick Europe, just getting there stinks.

Now, myself, I'd go to Alaska 'cos I've done 3 Med cruises. But if I had done neither, I would go for the longer cruise - sounds like better value.

The ports on the Med Venice cruise look good - Barcelona is great, Rome is a lovely city - a walking tour of Ancient Rome is stunning (if hot) if you like history. Florence has so much culture (it is very busy though), Dubrovnik - haven't been there, but would love to walk the walls - I think it's a UNESCO world heritage site. Barcelona has great architecture - La Sagrada Familia to name but one example, and the Neu Camp stadium for those (like my younger son) who like football (soccer if you're from the US). There are a multitude of great trips possible from Naples as well, including Capri, the Amalfi coast, Pompeii, Herculaneum. And you still have Venice itself, and others!

If you like hot weather, history, and experiencing different cultures, go for the Med. My DH would like to be doing the Med again, but we're taking him to the Arctic Circle instead.

Alaska will be slow-paced and relaxing. A good thing. It's also relatively easy to plan, since there are fewer choices when it comes to excursions.

The Med will be fast-paced and filled with culture. Also a good thing. The planning for this trip is more intensive (tons of choices), but if you're like me and enjoy the planning/anticipation as much as the trip, this is not a problem.

So, if you're looking to RELAX from work, do Alaska. If you're looking to get IMMERSED in interesting things that are nothing like a day at work, do the Med.

Once you have done both of these, be sure to sign up for a South American cruise around the horn, which has a combined flavor of the two. European flavor in Buenos Aires and Santiago with nature abounding between the two.

Either way, ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!

Decisions, decisions!

Pros for Alaska (don't know where you are flying from though)

Airfare cheaper, possibly closer to home and less jetlag

Knowledge- if you are getting into the US travel industry, you will probably sell more Alaska cruise so would be a good thing to have experience. I've been there 4 times now and would go back again.

Its RELAXING. If you have a stressful job this is a great way to decompress and stop to smell the roses. It's sort of the final frontier and just breathtakingly beautiful.

Its WAY cheaper when you factor in shopping and excursions, especially since its only 7 days. In Europe besides the tours, there is the crappy exchange rate on land.

Jet Lag and cruise sway- all travel taxes the body but I can guarantee you that the flight over will rob you of one day of your life! The return flight isn't so bad because it is a daytime flight and you probably can go to work the next day because you'll wake up early in the US (due to the time adjustment) But you won't feel exactly rejuvenated either. I also suffer a bit from cruise sway and I have found that the longer the cruise the more my equalibrium is affected. So this can be annoying if your job requires standing or walking.

Pros for Europe

Its better than Alaska. There is just as much natural beauty, artwork, and culture. I love Europe and when I am old and hopefully rich I want to live there.

Mediterranean in a heartbeat. More to do, more to see, it's exotic--how often do you think you'd get the chance to go?

I have been on both and yes they are very different. For relaxing, I would do Alaska. It is the most beautiful place I have ever been. The Med is fabulous but I did find that cruise exhausting because there was SO much to see in each port.

FWIW..my 2 cents

Barcelona airport is very close to the port and it will be about a 30 Euro taxi ride. So this is one of the better ports to sail out of- as opposed to Southampton or Rome.

There are pickpockets there though and I personally am not a fan of Barcelona since I was robbed there. I did go back and nothing happened but I didn't carry anything except my room key and a bottle of water!

I have cruised Alaska, once. Great but once was plenty. Just booked my 4th Med cruise, plus many other land trips there, several months at a time spent there, just can't get enough of it. So if it were me, it would be the Med, no question. And we LOVE Barcelona, we plan to spend at least 3-4 days there pre-cruise on our 4th time there!!

Cathy

John,

I have cruised Alaska AND I have cruised the Mediterranean several times...

For me, personally, it's a "no-brainer"...The Med wins easily...

I know there are many folks who love Alaska...but, for me, it's all scenery and little "substance"...The towns--Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan have little history or culture and are filled with the same junk souvenir shops with the same T-Shirts and Ulu Knives...The scenery IS fantastic...but the best parts take some work and expense to get to (My favorite was a helicopter glacier landing out of Juneau, another was the visit to spectacular Hubbard Glacier)...what did make our Alaska cruise more enjoyable was that we did a 13-night "cruisetour" so we got a large taste of the interior...but, from your post, it sounds as though you are only considering a Vancouver round trip? It's a short (by my standards) 7 days...You'll certainly enjoy the scenery, relax on the ship and visit 3 or 4 ports where you'll either do some exciting, expensive adventure--or where you'll walk around a bunch of snack bars and gift shops...

Of course, I DO think everyone should visit Alaska once in their lives...

The Mediterranean, OTOH, is simply fascinating...and I can never get enough...Each port is unique, rich with history, architecture, art and archaeology...Yes, there is so much to see and do, but, it is up to you--take it as fast or as slow as you want...If you have never been to these places, you MAY want to jam a lot in--especially ports like Rome or Livorno or Athens...but, other ports lend themselves to a slower, more relaxing day--smaller ports like Dubrovnik, Mykonos, Santorini, Corfu, Rhodes...

A lot really depends on the itinerary--and on your touring style...To me, I find all of the touring relaxing--since I am not home, under stress and at the office all day...It can be physically tiring--which is why I love itineraries with a couple of at sea days sprinkled in--so I can kick back and catch my breath...

12 days is a much more enjoyable and relaxing cruise than seven--just because it's LONGER...It doesn't feel like you just got on and are now getting off...

I would make it a point to fly into Barcelona 2 or 3 days early...Barcelona has a lot to see...but it is also a very laid back and relaxing town...Get a hotel near the Placa Catalunya (If you are on a budget, I can recommend the Continental--a little dated, but a great location)...The early arrival will help you get accustommed to the jet lag and time zone change and travel fatigue...and is a great hedge against missed connections and flight delays...You can tour Barcelona a little, but you can also just wander out of your hotel onto Las Ramblas and find an eatery and kick back...

A lot of what you do in the Med depends on your specific itinerary...I would carefully plan out the ports ahead of time, then just relax...and enjoy...

No brainer, I'd take Europe ANY time. Been to Alaska 3 times, and while I think its one of the pretties places I've ever been, nothing beats Europe. I don't know where you live, but if you are in the states, Alaska still is in our backyard, and not that difficult to get to. Trips to Europe are longer and usually more $$$. I prefer longer cruises, so that also is a plus. And while I would prefer not to go to Europe in the summer, (to hot, to many crowds) I still would pick to Med and the longer cruise. HAPPY PICKING and HAPPY CRUISING!!!:):)

John, is this the itinerary you are considering?:

Mon, Jul 25 Barcelona, Spain Depart 5:00 PM

Tue, Jul 26 Nice (Villefranche), France 10:00 AM 8:00 PM

Wed, Jul 27 Florence/Pisa(Laspezia)Italy 7:00 AM 7:00 PM

Thu, Jul 28 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 7:00 AM 7:00 PM

Fri, Jul 29 Naples/Capri, Italy 7:00 AM 7:00 PM

Sat, Jul 30 At Sea

Sun, Jul 31 Dubrovnik, Croatia 7:00 AM 5:00 PM

Mon, Aug 01 Venice, Italy 2:00 PM

Tue, Aug 02 Venice, Italy 1:30 PM

Wed, Aug 03 Kotor, Montenegro 10:00 AM 6:00 PM

Thu, Aug 04 At Sea

Fri, Aug 05 At Sea

Sat, Aug 06 Barcelona, Spain Arrive 6:00 AM

This is a pretty nice intro to the Med...As I said, Barcelona can be relaxing--as well as fascinating...

From Villefranche, you have choices...You can go visit Monte Carlo...or Nice or Cannes or some other nearby places...or a combination of several...This coming cruise, we are in a small group with a private guide to visit small towns in the area...but we've all been a few tiimes before...

La Spezia is an interesting choice...They usually dock in Livorno--which is a little closer to Florence...But, you will want to visit Florence...it is enchanting and rich with art, architecture and history...

Rome is Rome--you will want to take an exhausting tour--and cover the Vatican, the Trevi Fountain, the Piazza Navona, the Coliseum, etc.--count on a busy day...

From Naples, my choice would be to go visit Pompeii--it is simply incredible...

Luckily, at this point, you get a welcome at sea day to relax and recuperate...

Dubrovnik is an enchanting small walled city...You can take it as easy as you want here, just wandering the town...We did a great excursion on one visit--a trip to a local farm/winery for lunch and entertainment--enjoyable and relaxing...

Then, an overnight in Venice...again, an easy town to get around--by Vaporetti (it is the public bus/boat) --buy a 24 hour pass...Take a relaxing ride the length of the grand canal...Go to Piazza San Marco and tour the Doges' Palace...

Kotor is another great little, easy to get around medeival walled city...just relax here...or take a cab to Budva and check out that charming little beach resort town...

Then...two relaxing days at sea before your return...

Not a bad itinerary at all...The first half will be fairly fast paced with a lot of fascinating touring, the second half a lot more laid back...

I would grab it right now...not a cruise you will soon forget...

We've done both places in the summer months. Alaska was stunning and is still our favourite cruise. The Med in July is extremely hot, in some places, IMHO, it's too hot and too crowded to see the sights. However, prices for Europe are very good at present, this may sway your decision. It's easier for us from the UK to reach the Med, so we have been on numerous occasions and still find something new to do each time. As previous posters have already said, the two locations are completely different and aren't really comparable - scenery vs history - you choose.

I have taken both cruises, Alaska twice just because of a great deal. I loved Alaska but the Med is so much richer. Even if you don't want to spend a lot of money on excursions most of the ports are such that you can enjoy the port by yourself with a short cab ride, especially Venice it is so grand. I loved Barcelona and of course you need to do Rome which will cost a bit but it is worth it. You can relax on the boat get off see some sites then go back and have a nap. Hands down the med is the best ever.

John, is this the itinerary you are considering?:

Mon, Jul 25 Barcelona, Spain Depart 5:00 PM

Tue, Jul 26 Nice (Villefranche), France 10:00 AM 8:00 PM

Wed, Jul 27 Florence/Pisa(Laspezia)Italy 7:00 AM 7:00 PM

Thu, Jul 28 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 7:00 AM 7:00 PM

Fri, Jul 29 Naples/Capri, Italy 7:00 AM 7:00 PM

Sat, Jul 30 At Sea

Sun, Jul 31 Dubrovnik, Croatia 7:00 AM 5:00 PM

Mon, Aug 01 Venice, Italy 2:00 PM

Tue, Aug 02 Venice, Italy 1:30 PM

Wed, Aug 03 Kotor, Montenegro 10:00 AM 6:00 PM

Thu, Aug 04 At Sea

Fri, Aug 05 At Sea

Sat, Aug 06 Barcelona, Spain Arrive 6:00 AM

This is a pretty nice intro to the Med...As I said, Barcelona can be relaxing--as well as fascinating...

From Villefranche, you have choices...You can go visit Monte Carlo...or Nice or Cannes or some other nearby places...or a combination of several...This coming cruise, we are in a small group with a private guide to visit small towns in the area...but we've all been a few tiimes before...

La Spezia is an interesting choice...They usually dock in Livorno--which is a little closer to Florence...But, you will want to visit Florence...it is enchanting and rich with art, architecture and history...

Rome is Rome--you will want to take an exhausting tour--and cover the Vatican, the Trevi Fountain, the Piazza Navona, the Coliseum, etc.--count on a busy day...

From Naples, my choice would be to go visit Pompeii--it is simply incredible...

Luckily, at this point, you get a welcome at sea day to relax and recuperate...

Dubrovnik is an enchanting small walled city...You can take it as easy as you want here, just wandering the town...We did a great excursion on one visit--a trip to a local farm/winery for lunch and entertainment--enjoyable and relaxing...

Then, an overnight in Venice...again, an easy town to get around--by Vaporetti (it is the public bus/boat) --buy a 24 hour pass...Take a relaxing ride the length of the grand canal...Go to Piazza San Marco and tour the Doges' Palace...

Kotor is another great little, easy to get around medeival walled city...just relax here...or take a cab to Budva and check out that charming little beach resort town...

Then...two relaxing days at sea before your return...

Not a bad itinerary at all...The first half will be fairly fast paced with a lot of fascinating touring, the second half a lot more laid back...

I would grab it right now...not a cruise you will soon forget...

yes, thats exactly the one I'm looking at. I'll be in Rome around Thanksgiving for a week anyways so I know that I will just relax on the ship for the Rome port. When I was considering the June Venice itinerary I had looked up and found some interesting excursions in each town while also having some off days sprinkled in to just sleep in and then explore cities/areas on my own. Venice is the main draw for me. I've always wanted to go there but haven't yet made it.

I think I've decided that if that July itinerary comes up on a Tuesday special that I'll be going with that route. I noticed that this next week Celebrity actually has some Seward-Vancouver 7 day cruises on special but still comes out a bit high for 7 days after the 200% single supplement. Hopefully next week (or week after) my patience will pay off and July 25th Solstice will pop up on a Tuesday special with only a 150% single supplement :) Airfare has dropped $250 in the past couple days for the dates I'd be looking at so I'm hoping it stays steady or drops more in the next week or 2.

The excursions I was looking at doing for the Venice itinerary:

Nice - Monaco & Monte Carlo (VF11)

Florence/Pisa - Cinque Terre (LV34) (Two years ago I spent a week in Florence and exploring the Tuscan country side, so I'm OK with not going back on this cruise. Cinque Terre has an intriguing draw for me)

Rome - Likely stay on board or just wander around Civitavecchia, no interest in heading in to Rome proper since I'll be there in November.

Naples/Capri - Taste of Sorrento & Pompeii (NP15)

Kotor - Montenegrin Olive Oil Making (KV41)

Venice - Doges' Palace, Gondola Ride & Glass showroom (VE69) or Doge's Palace, St Mark's Cathedral & Glass showroom (VE02). Leaning towards the gondola option to have said I've done it

Dubrovnik - Diving Experience in Dubrovnik Sea World (DU25) or Dalmation Coastline & Wine Tasting (DU06)

John I think your plan is great.

My father and I love the Cinque Terre excursion on Celebrity in 2007. It was wonderful and if you are in La Spezia that would be my first choice too.

I think you are going to find Dubrovnik wonderful too and the water there looks so pure and clean.

I have been on both and yes they are very different. For relaxing, I would do Alaska. It is the most beautiful place I have ever been. The Med is fabulous but I did find that cruise exhausting because there was SO much to see in each port.

FWIW..my 2 cents

My thoughts exactly! I needed a vacation after my Med cruise, but we absolutely loved it! Just remember the "costs" may appear to be the same for flights and cruise, but the other things in the Med add up very quickly even if doing independent tours. I highly recommend both cruises....does that help? :)

Thinking of how to "vacation" after my Baltics cruise next week..............

My thoughts exactly! I needed a vacation after my Med cruise, but we absolutely loved it! Just remember the "costs" may appear to be the same for flights and cruise, but the other things in the Med add up very quickly even if doing independent tours. I highly recommend both cruises....does that help? :)

Thinking of how to "vacation" after my Baltics cruise next week..............

Yup, thats what I've been thinking about. Even with the possibly higher cost of the Med I think its the better choice...assuming that it comes up on a Tuesday Exciting deals special. If it doesn't come up in the next week or two then I've decided I'm going to 'settle' for the November Solstice trans-atlantic crossing November with plenty of sea days to just relax. One way or another, I'll be on Solstice before the end of the year. Hopefully it'll be on the Venice cruise.

Archived