Marina Report

charleylake

We are just back from a 10 day Marina Cruise from Rome - Venice and I wanted to report. We have benefited so from all your comments and reports through the months leading up to our cruise, I thought I share a few thoughts.

The Marina was beautiful and we were fortunate enough to be in a Penthouse room - well worth the Upgrade. The Veranda rooms were on the small side for many of our friends and seemed to be lacking in very much storage. The Penthouse was all and more you could ever want - I thought superior to Regent. Our cabin service was wonderful - but not so with our Vernanda friends. The electrical outlets are definitely lacking and I would advise bringing an adapter - this surprised me.

The food was wonderful, as well as all the specialty restaurants. Jacques was our least favorite - too close and busy. The service in the main dining room was a bit slow at times and definetely slow with the wine stewards. The whole feeling had a frantic and frazzled feel. Our food order got lost the last night?? We did have tables of 8 which I realize is a problem. Once we figured out that the wines would follow us ( and quickly) at that, things got a lot better. We could get no additional reservations at any of the specialty restaurants for any number or time, but we were able to enjoy all once which was fine.

I thought the entertainment very good and the Marina Lounge lovely with great sight lines.

The room computers have to be set to access "Cruisemail" so if yours would not work call and have someone come and adjust the settings. I loved receiving and sending the Email. $4.00 outgoing and that was it.

Shuttles were provided in Sorrento, Corfu, Dubrovnik and Venice - a big help!

Overall, I thought it a Great Cruise and good value. I would certainly do it again. The signing tickets really bothered us and I could feel the additional people. There were 1022 on our Cruise We are a bit spoiled to Regent, but then you get what you pay for..

Happy Cruising to All --

Nice report on Marina, and especially interesting as we will be doing the same cruise on Riviera in October '12.

We had a B-1 on Regatta, and always felt that there was enough room, and plenty of storage, though we do look forward to a PH on Riviera. Once you have a larger cabin, you do get spoiled!

Could someone elaborate on this? We had plenty in the concierge level cabin on Marina.

Are there outlets at the vanity area in the PH--I need 3--one for my hair dryer (of course they provide the hair dryer), one for my curling iron, and one for my I Pod docking station so I can enjoy music while getting ready. I heard a rumor that there aren't outlets in front of the vanity mirror in the cabin.

Help!!

Could someone elaborate on this? We had plenty in the concierge level cabin on Marina.

Are there outlets at the vanity area in the PH--I need 3--one for my hair dryer (of course they provide the hair dryer), one for my curling iron, and one for my I Pod docking station so I can enjoy music while getting ready. I heard a rumor that there aren't outlets in front of the vanity mirror in the cabin.

Help!!

OMG: no room to dock the i pod! What hardships we must endure. Perhaps you could put it someplace else and turn up the volume. Actually what did we do in the "old days," before we had i pods?

Such an interesting question!

While I was visiting my family in L.A. last month I saw a TV report of NYC's plan on banning pedestrians from using iPods or cell phones while crossing the street. This was as a result of a young man's being killed while jaywalking when he was listening to something ...

A young woman was interviewed who claimed that how could she walk down the street to work without anything to listen to ...

Gee, I remember just walking down the street and LOOKING WHERE I WAS GOING!

But that was then ...

Mura

In the B cabin we had 2 on the desk, but you could only use 1 at a time the plug was too big & overlapped the other outlet

I behind the TV (which was close to the desk)

That is all I found but I did not look further

Lyn

Being a former English teacher, I try to inject a little humorous "tone" in my writing. If you don't know me, I guess you don't catch it. I can certainly live without my I Pod while getting ready--that was a joke. But (yes, I know that you are not supposed to start a sentence with "but") I did hear from two sources that there were no outlets near the vanity mirror in the PH suites. One source said to bring an extension cord. I simply need to know if I can plug in a hair dryer AND a curling iron.

As for my I Pod docking station, it's a fantastic addition to anyone's travel items. I can play MY music selections any time I want. My daughter bought me the I Pod three years ago--my reaction? "I don't need that"! NOW, it's one of my favorite sources of music. Love it at the gym when I am working out. Use it at home when I am getting ready as well.

Not sure what YOUR problem is, but try putting a smile on your face and a chuckle in your e mails!!

I simply need to know if I can plug in a hair dryer AND a curling iron.
In general, on land or at sea, no, since splitters are usually for light current use. Normally, you shouldn't connect more than a total of 15 Amps to a "regular" circuit (heavy duty connections need a different gauge of wiring and a different plug/socket). Usually a household device that produces heat is likely to be a heavy current user. If both your hairdryer and your curling iron together comes to more than 1,650 watts, at 110 volts, it is more than 15 Amps. So plug them onto different circuits, or use them at different times.

As for my I Pod docking station, it's a fantastic addition to anyone's travel items. I can play MY music selections any time I want. My daughter bought me the I Pod three years ago--my reaction? "I don't need that"! NOW, it's one of my favorite sources of music. Love it at the gym when I am working out. Use it at home when I am getting ready as well.

Not sure what YOUR problem is, but try putting a smile on your face and a chuckle in your e mails!!

I thought I was trying to put a little chuckle in my email!

In my regular "A" category cabin there were two outlets at the desk but as stated above, could not be used at the same time because they weren't wide enough. However, if you look right under the TV on the wall, there is another availabel outlet there. Strange place to plug in your hair blower but it is close enough to the desk that your hair blower reaches.

As for under TVs in other cabin categories, don't know if there is another outlet.

Good luck in your search for outlets.

Bobi

There is only one electrical outlet (one appliance at a time only) in the bath in the Marina PH, on the wall beside the vanity, but I found the hair dryer they provided would not work there, soI had to dry my hair in the bedroom area. There is a 2-receptacle outlet on the desk by the sliding door and another under the television (only one side free, of course). So plan accordingly.

Charleylake says dining in the main dining room can be slow.Is there anywhere else on Marina where I can have my evening meal in less than one hour?

The Terrace Buffet!

You can eat as fast or slow as you like

Most meals in the other dining venues take 1-2 hrs so be prepared, it is not you average fast food eating experience :D

Lyn

Read some of the responses to people that need to access the internet or who have to carry a blackberry/cell phone while on vacation - the tone tends to be comparable. Best to just ignore it.

I find one of the biggest challenges these days are trying to find enough outlets to just plug the chargers into - blackberry x2, cameras x2, ereader, laptop and they all have different chargers and the resulting rat's nest of cables.:eek:

Re bringing extension cords/power bars - I seem to recall reading that this is unsafe on cruise ships as the draw will overload the circuit and create a fire risk - I think X "outlaws" such things and will confiscate them if found, don't remember such a statement being made on the O board though.

Being a former English teacher, I try to inject a little humorous "tone" in my writing. If you don't know me, I guess you don't catch it. I can certainly live without my I Pod while getting ready--that was a joke. But (yes, I know that you are not supposed to start a sentence with "but") I did hear from two sources that there were no outlets near the vanity mirror in the PH suites. One source said to bring an extension cord. I simply need to know if I can plug in a hair dryer AND a curling iron.

I always take a plugging strip so I can charge the myriad devices that have become part of our existence. That way, I can recharge batteries for my camera and DW's camera, the laptop, a phone, an ipod, etc., etc., etc. I don't put a lot of load on at any time.

It had been my belief that they did not want you to use a regular hair dryer as they draw a lot of amperage, but I have seen notes that they will supply a regular dryer if you ask for one, so I am unsure of whether or not you should use one on board. DW did use a curling/flattening iron though those do not draw as much as a hair dryer.

I always try to keep in mind the fact that the biggest danger at sea is fire -- not sinking -- and I keep that in mind when I am plugging in devices to the electrical system.

I do not understand why you need to keep things plugged in :confused::confused:

I plug in the camera every couple of days to recharge (usually done overnight)

Plug in the Netbook every few days usually charged while at dinner

Plug in my battery charger every few days when required

DH takes his SW radio which has rechargeable batteries which seem to last for at least a week ....using daily

I just plug in different days or times

They aren't but depending on usage they will discharge at varying rates requiring a number to be plugged in at the same time. The charging window is much shorter while on vacation as many things are used on shore and must be recharged for the next day.

Upon returning to the ship every day I will recharge at least 2 camera batteries (sometimes more), depending on usage the BB's, Playbook are charged at least every second day, notebook depends on usage, electric razor, toothbrushes, blow dryer, curling iron, etc, etc.

"She who will be obeyed" has made it clear that NOTHING gets plugged in until she has prepared herself for the evening so don't even think about plugging in any device until just before leaving the room for the evening. And then I have to remember to plug them in...

Bottom line is there's a lot that has to be plugged in and there are times when you run out of outlets on cruise ships (certainly not just O) and occasionally in hotels.

I do not understand why you need to keep things plugged in :confused::confused:

I plug in the camera every couple of days to recharge (usually done overnight)

Plug in the Netbook every few days usually charged while at dinner

Plug in my battery charger every few days when required

DH takes his SW radio which has rechargeable batteries which seem to last for at least a week ....using daily

I just plug in different days or times

You have to sign for drinks and other things you purchase on board and they are charged to your on board account.

You also wrote, "The signing tickets really bothered us and I could feel the additional people." I don't know what a 'signing ticket' is. Please can you explain this?

You said,"The electrical outlets are definitely lacking and I would advise bringing an adapter - this surprised me." When you say an adapter, do you in fact mean a power strip? I thought an adapter was needed for plugging a North American-style plug into an electrical outlet made for European-style plugs but maybe I am confusing it. Are the electrical outlets the 'normal' North American type & are they 2-prong or 3-prong outlets?

You also wrote, "The signing tickets really bothered us and I could feel the additional people." I don't know what a 'signing ticket' is. Please can you explain this?

Finally, a general Oceania question: I had heard that they will confiscate a curling iron for the duration of the cruise if you take one. Is that true or are we allowed to take/use one?

Cathy

The 3 plugs near the desk are 110 V there is 1 220V plug as well

Signing tickets ....some people have a problem with signing for drinks etc...

Maybe on vacation they forget how to write their name:D:D

Curling irons I cannot help you there

You could check the FAQ's or get your TA to check

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/guestservices/faq.aspx?Cat=All

We have never had a problem with outlets.

Remember most batteries charge on 220 as well as 110. Just bring a round prong adapter.

Our camera battery last about a week and we have a back-up charged one just in case. We have never used it as after a week we recharge our battery in about two hours. We take perhaps 40-50 pictures a day.

Our Kindle lasts about a month on one charge and we read a lot. We keep the wifi off.

Our I pod lasts about 3-4 days and again we can charge it in about 2 hours.

Our toothbrushes, etc need charging every week or so.

All it takes is a little organization!

The plug question - I can't remember what the plug was above the desk (only one available and too close for use)- but I know I had to use my adapter to plug in my curling iron and the battery charges by the vanilty area. The one in the bath room was also European and need an adapter to use any of our appliances. I never tried the air dryer in the bathroom. I was glad I had brought the adapter!

On the signing - we were just spoiled with the all inclusive policy on Regent. At least the non alcohol beverages were included - we just seemed to be always dealing with checks at cocktails and dinner. This was not a surprise of course - I just liked it better when it was all covered in the cost. I'm sure it is fairer for everyone this way.

Dinner in the terrace was fast and very good. The Grill Section had great shrimp, steaks, Kabobs and Florida Lobster tails every night. They also a a beautiful Brunch Buffet in the Main Dining Room one AM on the Cruise. All the crew couldn't have been nicer and the Captain was "very cute" and "very visible" around the ship.

It was a great cruise!

I have always taken my curling iron and had no problem. I have left it on the desk on occasion to cool and our cabin attendant has even rolled up the cord and tucked it away in the corner. So, curl away. :)

I always take a curling iron when traveling and it hasn't been confiscated yet. As a matter of fact, why would anyone confiscate a curling iron?

I must say I would rather sign for things than always having to pull out the wallet. It seems simpler to just pay at the end of the cruise.

I see both of you are fellow Ontarians. We are in Thornhill & are travelling with a couple from Ottawa.

Cathy

I think the other person was referring to not having to sign at all on Regent everything is included.

We are north of you on the lake ;) about 1 hr from the airport :(

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

Archived