Gratuties

Hello

We go on the Epic in four weeks time and can not wait. We have not pre paid our gratuties although now thinking we should? What are the thoughts...

Also our NCL agent told us to go to reception on first day and ask for them to be taken off and tip as we go along.. can we do this? As i would rather so the people that deserve it get it..

Hope someone can shed a light on this very confusing issue for me.....:D

Coming from the UK as you are, I've always heard you are required to pre-pay your gratuities. Check your invoices and figure out if you've already paid your gratuities.

Removing your gratuities would get you on a lot of people's ignore list here on Cruise Critic. It's seen as pretty shady and disrespectful by most of this board.

For me personally, I love the fact that it is taken care of for me. One less thing to worry about while I am on vacation. However, I do tip extra ... this next cruise I am going to make some little baggies with chocolate bars in them and have the extra $$$ in there with it. And someone did hand written notes and I love that idea.

I'm surprised that's the advice you received from an NCL rep. If you leave the daily service charge (DSC) in place then everyone benefits. You may of course tip extra if you feel it is warranted but a S.T.Y.L.E. card for the employee(s) in question goes just as far.

It is much better it leave them in place. There are a ton of people who will be servicing you in the buffet and other areas that would not be tipped if you remove the tips. The gratuities are spread out to all the ship staff.

You can always hand some extra money out to those who you think do an outstanding job, but the many people that service you in other areas of the ship and don't "wait" on you won't be tipped if you remove them.

You can bring cash and pay down your account at Guest Services while you are on the ship if you don't pre-pay.

I personally don't know this first hand, but it's repeated frequently here. If you remove the auto tip (service charge) and tip cash as you go, then the person you tipped is required to pass that money in to the same pool of money as where the service charge goes. Therefore, tipping that way gives no advantage at all to the person you tipped. On the other hand, if you leave the service charge in place, but tip cash above and beyond, then the recipient is allowed to keep the cash.

Again, this is just what I've read here. No idea if it's accurate.

Lyndseyscaife, I will try to tread waters lightly in respect of everyone. I always have the gratuties removed from my bill (which MUST be done on Friday, the day befor disembarking). The (my) reason for doing this is I do not believe in tipping for bad service, although I am known for over tipping for good or exceptional service. One time on (no need to mention ship other than NCL) the crew working at the fruit station gave my 8year old son, at the time, a hard time for taking more pineapple than she thought he should have. (It was only 6 pieces) She did not know I was there watching, because I was standing back behind her, but could hear and see all. Well you get the drift. Also was once really rude to from my room hostess on the same cruise, because she said my son had no business sleeping on the upper berth. Did she think I was going to crawl up there? NOT !!! With that being said, does any one really thing those few people should be rewarded with a tip? I have always been told that the gratuites go to only the resteraunt staff (of all natures) buffet, specialty, quick stops etc. and the room stweards. The rest of the crew are paid a different rate. Again, these were NCL's words directly to me several times on all ships. So I in the end go back and tip cash to those who I felt earned it. I end up paying more than what NCL would have gotten from me, but a lot of times I have had crew members go out of their way. So in turn, I extended my gratitude. What ever works for someone, works for them. This works for me, and I leave the ship feeling much better about who got what. I've said my piece. Good Luck to you

Lyndseyscaife, I will try to tread waters lightly in respect of everyone. I always have the gratuties removed from my bill (which MUST be done on Friday, the day befor disembarking). The (my) reason for doing this is I do not believe in tipping for bad service, although I am known for over tipping for good or exceptional service. One time on (no need to mention ship other than NCL) the crew working at the fruit station gave my 8year old son, at the time, a hard time for taking more pineapple than she thought he should have. (It was only 6 pieces) She did not know I was there watching, because I was standing back behind her, but could hear and see all. Well you get the drift. Also was once really rude to from my room hostess on the same cruise, because she said my son had no business sleeping on the upper berth. Did she think I was going to crawl up there? NOT !!! With that being said, does any one really thing those few people should be rewarded with a tip? I have always been told that the gratuites go to only the resteraunt staff (of all natures) buffet, specialty, quick stops etc. and the room stweards. The rest of the crew are paid a different rate. Again, these were NCL's words directly to me several times on all ships. So I in the end go back and tip cash to those who I felt earned it. I end up paying more than what NCL would have gotten from me, but a lot of times I have had crew members go out of their way. So in turn, I extended my gratitude. What ever works for someone, works for them. This works for me, and I leave the ship feeling much better about who got what. I've said my piece. Good Luck to you

I won’t dispute the rights and wrongs of removal of the DSC. Or whether your cash tips would have to be shared or not with those you didn't want to get it in the first place. Lots of opinions on CC, on both of these things. But curiousity has me asking a couple of questions.

To my understanding, if you remove the DSC completely, they do require a reason and what have you told them your reason was (because you had crappy service by 2 people?). I do understand if you only removed partial that you would still be essentially tipping the people you did not feel deserving and still be punishing those that gave you good service.

Did you approach any management regarding these 2 incidents, like the HD. And if so how was this dealt with. I seriously believe you will find good and bad in every service based industry but I center more on how something was handled and was it to my satisfaction rather than having someone not get their part of the DSC that actually didn’t do anything to deserve losing it and that I may not have gotten a tip to.

As well getting the name of the guilty party and then filling out a style card would IMO be a much more effective method of dealing with a bad apple, than to remove what might equal a small amount of change to the guilty party. If you think about it $12/day/person divided by many DSC entitled workers = a very small amount per (not really a good deterrent or punishment for a sub-par worker.)

I'm not sure what the benefit is of pre-paying the gratuties would be and personally I think it would be a big PIA to remove the DSC and have to tip everyone personally.

I can think of 3 reasons right off the top

Sometimes it would all come down to budgeting. In the end you pay the exact same thing but if you keep the cash up until your vacation you may always find something else that needs it. If you give it to NCL to keep for you, that takes the pressure off to come up with that much money extra at the time of your cruise.

Some people may look at this as a forthcoming bill and just want to get it out of the way so they don't have to think about it again.

Some may only have a certain limit on their credit card and therefore not want to run over that limit with onboard charges.

I can think of 3 reasons right off the top

Sometimes it would all come down to budgeting. In the end you pay the exact same thing but if you keep the cash up until your vacation you may always find something else that needs it. If you give it to NCL to keep for you, that takes the pressure off to come up with that much money extra at the time of your cruise.

Some people may look at this as a forthcoming bill and just want to get it out of the way so they don't have to think about it again.

Some may only have a certain limit on their credit card and therefore not want to run over that limit with onboard charges.

Thanks, those are all valid reasons. For me I like to put everything on the card so I can keep those reward dollars coming!

Thanks, those are all valid reasons. For me I like to put everything on the card so I can keep those reward dollars coming!

Reward dollars? Are you talking credit card reward dollars? If so couldn't you just charge to your card in paying ahead. Not that I think everyone needs to pay ahead. Gotta love freestyle, options everywhere even with your credit card :D

I always have the gratuties removed from my bill (which MUST be done on Friday, the day befor disembarking). The (my) reason for doing this is I do not believe in tipping for bad service, although I am known for over tipping for good or exceptional service.

I'm not I understand you clearly. You say you ALWAYS have the gratuities removed, but then cite as your reason two minor incidents that occured on the SAME cruise.

One reason that most do not remove the daily service charge is that MANY of the workers who provide services to passengers DO NOT come into direct contact with them - e.g. dishwashers, line cooks, maintenance workers, etc. - and would not have the opportunity to receive "direct" tips.

I agree with the previous poster that any lack of service should be dealt with directly, rather than punishing the entire service pool.

Also our NCL agent told us to go to reception on first day and ask for them to be taken off and tip as we go along.. can we do this? As i would rather so the people that deserve it get it..

Personally I think this is exceptionally bad advice:

1. You can't get it taken off until near the end of the cruise

2. Do you want to walk around with small bills all the time - Remember on NCL you DON'T have the same waiter every evening.

3.. You have to give a reason for removing the DSC

4.. Other reasons mentioned here

I am amazed that it came from an NCL rep. Was this an actual NCL rep or just a 'regular' travel agent who sells NCL cruises?

We payed our DSC in advance on our last cruise and found that worked rather well for us. We had no service that was inadequate - so we felt that everyone getting the DSC had earned it and we were so pleased with our cabin stewards that we gave them a little "extra".

I find it very small of you to deny these workers their hard earned compensation because of a couple of rude remarks.

Did your room steward clean your room and make your bed every day? Did the food service worker serve you food/clean up your table the rest of the week?

There is only one reason people remove the auto-tip. And we all know what that reason is no matter how someone comes in here and tries to defend the indefensible.

Reward dollars? Are you talking credit card reward dollars? If so couldn't you just charge to your card in paying ahead. Not that I think everyone needs to pay ahead. Gotta love freestyle, options everywhere even with your credit card :D

Yes I suppose that would work also. I just loooovvvve getting that huge bill at the end of the cruise! :rolleyes: Actually I am kinda pre-paying cause I am letting all my rewards pile up this year so I can use them to offset the cruise costs.

I am amazed that it came from an NCL rep. Was this an actual NCL rep or just a 'regular' travel agent who sells NCL cruises?

I find it very hard to believe that came from an NCL rep. I have a feeling it was a travel agent that has a main focus of NCL or something.

James

http://twitter.com/#!/cruiseshipcrew

Wow, you will penalize the hundreds of crewmembers that work behind the scenes to make your cruise great, simply to penalize the one individual, on one cruise, that was rude to your child?

Great logic!

Also was once really rude to from my room hostess on the same cruise, because she said my son had no business sleeping on the upper berth. Did she think I was going to crawl up there? NOT !!!

If it was said that way, yes, that seems rude. But it might also be that she was concerned for your son's safety. And if there was a language barrier, sometimes non-primary English speakers can have difficulty communicating things in a "gentle" or "tactful" manner. A smile with poorly used words can come of as snotty and rude, when that's not the intent at all. But I wasn't there, just offering a different lens to view the situation through.

You can see from my log-in I am a Brit. I have had some serious grief from posting on other threads that cruise (holiday) price should be inclusive of service charges. That's how we conduct our holiday industry.

I am though open to persuasion and having trawled these boards can appreciate it is not a universal way of thinking. I have cruised twice, RCI with prepaid tips. Also gave extra for personal service. Ocean Village UK ship with no service charge. Gave extra in containers staff put out in service areas.

On reflection, especially after learning of way most crew are paid agree service charge should be prepaid to ensure all get a proper wage. Tip extra for special service.

That's how we will handle our next cruise on NCL from Venice in August.

I find it very hard to believe that came from an NCL rep. I have a feeling it was a travel agent that has a main focus of NCL or something.

James

http://twitter.com/#!/cruiseshipcrew

Sounds odd to me, too. On another note: Hey, I worked for NCLA, too, on the POH! Yea for fellow cruise ship workers! ( Sorry, wasn't trying to hijack, just rarely get to see other cruise ship workers. Mahalo!)

I have a somewhat different question since I've never sailed on NCL. If you do not prepay your gratuities, do they automatically add them on when you are on the ship or do they send you a form during the cruise like RCL & CCL does?

I have never prepaid because or a situation that happened with another couple that cruised with us several years ago. I know it wa due to a situatiion with the TA. My firend was awarded a trip through her job. Her boss paid for the tips, come to find out the TA never applied it to the reservation. She eneded up paying them on the ship again because she felt bad. TA told her that she should have not done so because it would have been taken care of. TA also told us that she gets a statement from all cruisers she books on groups informing her if tips are paid or not. I told my friend that I think that is BS because I've paid my tips in cash many times so she has no idea if they were paid or not.

Another reason I've never prepaid is because I've always asked my cabin addendant if they would rather tips in cash or prepaid. I base if off of that as to how I paid. Only once did they request I prepay, the others said they'd rather the cash since they send their checks home. The one that wanted the prepaid wanted it on his check to send to his family.

It amazes me when I see people wanting to not tip period. There is no way I could eat 3 meals a day at home and tip less than 10-12 a day in tips. Not to mention have my room cleaned. It woiuld be nice to one day see all the cruise lines have the tips included & allow you to tip extra in cash if you would like to. This would make the non tippers required to tip without a choice.

I have a somewhat different question since I've never sailed on NCL. If you do not prepay your gratuities, do they automatically add them on when you are on the ship or do they send you a form during the cruise like RCL & CCL does?

I have never prepaid because or a situation that happened with another couple that cruised with us several years ago. I know it wa due to a situatiion with the TA. My firend was awarded a trip through her job. Her boss paid for the tips, come to find out the TA never applied it to the reservation. She eneded up paying them on the ship again because she felt bad. TA told her that she should have not done so because it would have been taken care of. TA also told us that she gets a statement from all cruisers she books on groups informing her if tips are paid or not. I told my friend that I think that is BS because I've paid my tips in cash many times so she has no idea if they were paid or not.

Another reason I've never prepaid is because I've always asked my cabin addendant if they would rather tips in cash or prepaid. I base if off of that as to how I paid. Only once did they request I prepay, the others said they'd rather the cash since they send their checks home. The one that wanted the prepaid wanted it on his check to send to his family.

It amazes me when I see people wanting to not tip period. There is no way I could eat 3 meals a day at home and tip less than 10-12 a day in tips. Not to mention have my room cleaned. It woiuld be nice to one day see all the cruise lines have the tips included & allow you to tip extra in cash if you would like to. This would make the non tippers required to tip without a choice.

NCL automatically charges it to your account.

Archived