Some advice

celbercrz333

We haven't been to Bermuda since 2003, but here's some advice. They close all the stores around 5 or 5:30. Or at least they did in 2003. If this affects your dinner plans, then make changes so you can go back to the ship when everything on land is closed. The taxi cabs charge a flat fee no matter whether 2 or 5 people ride inside. There's a yellow pages for Bermuda online somewhere. I remember finding it to look up specific types of services. The beaches are nice, but the one in St. George is all uphil, over the hill and then down the hill. Make sure you are rested and have good shoes to do this walk. A cheap waterproof watch comes in handy for knowing the time while swimming. Scooters get rented fast and the demand was way past the supply. So try to get one early if you plan on renting one. Long distance cards were available to buy and then use on their public phones in Bermuda. This may work better for you than using cellphones. Hope this advice helps.

A few points:

Taxi fares are for 1-4 passengers. There is an extra charge for 5 or 6 passengers in the taxi.

Stores in the Dockyard are open later (8pm or so) when ships are in port.

The larger department stores such as Trimingham's that used to line Front Street in Hamilton are no longer there. Most have gone out of business.

Many of the stores in St. George's have closed their doors because there are no longer any ships that regularly dock in St. George's.

The bottom line is that a lot has changed since you were last there in 2003.

To update you on taxi rates:

• You can hire a taxi for a private tour of Bermuda for 3 hours or more for $40.00/hour (ttbomk); I believe that is for 1 - 4 passengers.
  • The trip from the Dockyard to Horseshoe Bay by taxi is currently $6.00/person to a max of 6 persons.
  • For taking a taxi for any other trip, the charge is per mile for 1-4 passengers, slightly higher for passengers 5 & 6. There is a 25% surcharge for Sundays & public holidays.

SBtS

Thanks for the updates. Like I said, I hadn't been there since 2003. Trimminghams was still in business, we docked in St. George and walked around that town and we only did 2 taxi trips, one for golf and one for the perfume factory. A lot has changed.

To update you on taxi rates:

• The trip from the Dockyard to Horseshoe Bay by taxi is currently $6.00/person to a max of 6 persons.

Helpful! thank-you!! Really want to head over to horseshoe Bay but with the press of the buses the taxis might be more manageable but I wasn't sure the price of one.

• 3 weeks later...
We haven't been to Bermuda since 2003, but here's some advice. They close all the stores around 5 or 5:30. Or at least they did in 2003. If this affects your dinner plans, then make changes so you can go back to the ship when everything on land is closed. The taxi cabs charge a flat fee no matter whether 2 or 5 people ride inside. There's a yellow pages for Bermuda online somewhere. I remember finding it to look up specific types of services. The beaches are nice, but the one in St. George is all uphil, over the hill and then down the hill. Make sure you are rested and have good shoes to do this walk. A cheap waterproof watch comes in handy for knowing the time while swimming. Scooters get rented fast and the demand was way past the supply. So try to get one early if you plan on renting one. Long distance cards were available to buy and then use on their public phones in Bermuda. This may work better for you than using cellphones. Hope this advice helps.

Do you know the current rates for scooter rentals? -- one passenger or two?

Archived