Luggage tags

A word of caution if you're flying to the port... wait until you arrive at the port to attach the luggage tags. Quite often if you tag your luggage prior to it being loaded on the aircrafts the tags will be torn off.

About the tags... the paper tags have a nasty habit of being torn and lost. As firefly mentioned, some folks reinforce them with clear packing tape, others laminate them with 3M laminating pouches, etc and then attach them to the bag with plastic zip ties... makes them very durable!

:)

I get mine laminated, punch holes in them and use zip ties to attach to our luggage the morning of the cruise since we fly. Just got 7 laminated for our group for $3.00 at an office supply store, was simple and easy.

We did the reinforcement with clear packing tape/stapled around the handle also...but we added the clear filament tape to the back before stapling it together - wow, it was very tough to get off. Had to cut with scissors to get them to come off.

Probably tough to find that tape, but I work in a business where we use it a lot...works extremely well though.

............... Can you get them at the port?
Yes. That is what we always do. We just got some at the port for our most recent cruise on the Carnival Spirit. They were nice, sturdy pre-laminated cardboard tags that attach with a string.

We always put 2 tags on each bag, one on the top handle and one on the side handle. Very quick and easy (only takes a few seconds to slip them on) and they have always stayed on fine, rain or shine.

There is really no need to print, fold, staple, tape, laminate, punch or purchase luggage tags, unless that is just something you enjoy doing, since they are readily available at the pier.

Just want to add that at some ports they have the laminated paper tags where you slide the tag through the handle, peel a small section of paper off one end to expose the sticky part, and press the 2 ends together.

That type is also very easy to attach. Both types of tags have always worked well for us with no problem.

well, me being the anal retentive person that i am. i like to have my tags ready before i reach the pier(just in case). The clear packing tape works well to re-enforce and we jsut bring a small stapler to attach at the pier. We also attach 2 per bag-just in case:rolleyes:

baf

I get mine laminated, punch holes in them and use zip ties to attach to our luggage the morning of the cruise since we fly. Just got 7 laminated for our group for $3.00 at an office supply store, was simple and easy.

We actually did the same thing on our Legend cruise. I printed off the luggage tags and then I cut them out and then laminated them. (my husband owns a laminter) Then I punched a couple of holes and them and them packed them in my suitecase with some zip ties. We spent a couple of days in Tampa pre-cruise, so I just attached to all the suitecases on the night before our cruise. It worked out very well and they held up nicely.

I then just used nail clippers to snip the zip ties and remove them once we were onboard.

For our last cruise which was the first one since we had to make our own tags, I made an extra set and put one inside each suitcase just in case the outer one fell off. I laminated them and punched a hole in then, then put them on with zip ties and they held great. If I had it to do over again, I would cut off the outside two thirds and just laminate the center section with the info on it. They were too stiff with all three parts folded together. Now that I think of it though, I had used card stock to print them on. D'Uh!

Clear tape or clear Contact paper over the paper. Then I hole punch, and use the narrow "curling" ribbon like you use for wrapping presents, attach one end of the loop to the tag, then tie the open end of the ribbon around the luggage handle as we leave from the airport to the port. The curling ribbon is so strong, I needed scissors to get them off - and I always have a ton of it in the house, unlike zip ties, which I never have on hand!

Can you fly with a nail clippers?

As long as it's in your checked in luggage, you can even bring shears. I brought a small pair in the outside pocket of one of our pieces of luggage to cut the zip ties off. Never had a problem with TSA.

Archived