Why so expensive?

If someone offered anyone on here $1000 to cruise on a new Carnival ship they would take it.

While that is true for me, I know that it is not for some people. You are trying to project your opinion on to others. I know for a fact that there are some people who for one reason or another will not cruise on Carnival, even if it is free.

If someone offered anyone on here $1000 to cruise on a new Carnival ship they would take it.

By putting the kicker of "new" Carnival ship you do skew it a bit.

I would say that for some of the older smaller ships in the Carnival fleet - I would not be a taker on such an offer. Our vacation time is extremely limited. As most self employed people on here know - if I'm not at work, I'm not making money and both DH and I are self employed.

The extra incentive (even if it also included cruise fare) would not be enough to cover our losses if it was not a really great experience for us. For us to take time off on even the smallest oldest RCCL ship has not been a risk for us so far.

As you have discovered that is the difference in price - you have to find out what the differences are between the two cruise lines.

DO NOT TRY TO DO THAT ON THESE BOARDS :rolleyes:

Look at the pictures on Goggle and the deck plans and images on the two cruise line websites.

You will form a good enough opinion about what is most value for money to you.

We are not wealthy, retired,SS and pension. I would decline your offer. Been there,done that got the T-shirt. We cruise a lot, live in Florida, shop the fares and discounts, use our perks on RCI and Celebrity. Even if the $1000. was with free cruise fare I would rather stay home. Several bad experiences with Carnival, free isn't always an incentive.JMHO:eek:

Not that I have a lot of money, but as a alternative to a staycation, or staying with relatives, or a sleasy hotel I think cruises are a very inexpensive vacation, when you factor every thing in, even in the most expensive times to travel.

For example, where else can you take a four day trip/vacation to the Bahamas for $400 a person with all the food, entertainment, etc you can handle, certainly not Disney World or Universal, or Miami 's South beach, or Key West or other fun spots.

Sure, I like cheap prices, but I just hope they do not rise toooooo much.

Very interesting how some of you feel about your vacation. Personally, having sailed on 6-7 cruise line would choose 3 weeks on a slightly less grand ship than one week on the Allure. HAL, X and Carnival have some nice ships, better than the Explorer class imo.

Then you should sail 3 weeks on a slightly less grand ship and not RCL.

In our case paying extra makes sense. We have a 17 month old who has already completed a Carnival cruise and a Royal Caribbean cruise.

Carnival charged us $129 for a 5 nighter, Royal Caribbean charged us $799 for a 7 nighter. Here's what we got on each one:

Royal Caribbean:

- Royal Babies Nursery: Supervised scheduled activities during the week sponsored by Fisher Price and Crayola.

- Dedicated free play area available for use all day long, every day until 8pm

- Baby Splash Zone where kids in diapers can take a dip in their own dedicated temperature controlled pool.

- Adventure Ocean water park ashore in Labadee, Haiti.

- Dreamworks experience: Parades and shows featuring Shrek, Kung Fu Panda, and the cast from Madagascar.

- Special character breakfasts at the main dining room.

- How to Train Your Dragon ice show

- Dedicated Adventure Ocean TV channel in the cabin.

- For a fee, a nursery and child care from 8am until late in the evening.

Carnival:

- 2 45 minute supervised play sessions

- For a fee, babysitting available only AFTER 10PM

For our son's age group, it makes sense to pay more since on Carnival, kids his age are severely neglected. Having so much entertainment for our son on our Royal Caribbean cruise was great for him, but it was even greater for us, since it allowed us to take a break and enjoy everything that the ship offered for the adults while our son had his kind of fun. It was worth every single penny.

In the end...the Qtrly statements will reviel the wisdom the RCCI business decisions....especially in this economy.

However, it does appear that a number of high profile gaffs have been made in the past two years. While none by itself would normally have an effect on the Qtrly reports...times are not Normal economically, but there could be an accummulative effect.

One other interesting point is What in the world is going on between RCCI and the Port/City of Miami?

One other interesting point is What in the world is going on between RCCI and the Port/City of Miami?

What do you mean what is going on between RCCI and the Port of Miami?

Even more interesting if you consider that RCCI headquarters is just across the street from the port of Miami.

Something is going on....

What's going on is that Ft. Lauderdale has given them a much better deal than the port of Miami.

What's going on is that Ft. Lauderdale has given them a much better deal than the port of Miami.

Having disembarked on a Sunday recently in April.........you can certainly tell by the number of people at the FLL airport on a Sunday trying to get home;)

Archived