Why so expensive?

I just listened to my SIL whine that a co-worker was going on a Carnival cruise for way cheaper than our cruise on RCCL. I did an on-line comparison, and there was a whopping discount of $10 per person for comparable cabin, same date, like ship (since I feel RCI is a better ship). Turns out his friend has the cheapest inside cabin (we have balcony) on an older Carnival ship and not for the same rate/season. I prefer RCCL but there are those on the Carnival boards that will disagree. We've sailed both, but haven't cruised Carnival in several years. We've never been disappointed in an RCCL cruise.

For those like myself can no way take three week vacation:

Three times the savings on a one week vacation-I'm still the Mom catching air verses being on a nation of why not!!!:D

I have never been on Carnival but any cruise which is 3 times cheaper and similar has got to be worth a try. Carnival does not seem to be some podunk operation and 3 times the savings is huge.

For those like myself can no way take three week vacation:

Three times the savings on a one week vacation-I'm still the Mom catching air verses being on a nation of why not!!!:D

I have never been on Carnival but any cruise which is 3 times cheaper and similar has got to be worth a try. Carnival does not seem to be some podunk operation and 3 times the savings is huge.

So, let me get this straight. You make it sound as though CCL is 3x cheaper than RCI. Is that really true, or is it 3x cheaper than Allure?

I ask because I just looked at a Labor Day Freedom cruise for $699. Is CCL selling 7 nighters for $233 that week?????

I will never say never, but I highly doubt we will ever sail Carnival. We are loyal Royals, but will consider other lines (Celebrity, Princess). I just do not think Carnival fits "us". We were pulling out of San Juan on the Serenade in Jan, and we sailed right past the Carnival Victory(? I think). I know it was Carnival because we could see the whale tail. Anywho, they were across the channel from us, at LEAST 1000 ft away? We could hear their music from the deck like it was on OUR ship!! I could not stand to have music blaring that loud! I am not old either, I just like being able to hear!

We will always pay a premium for an outstanding experience. If RCCL stops delivering that, then we will change lines. We will also always pay a premium for a balcony, that's just how it is for us. To each their own.

So, let me get this straight. You make it sound as though CCL is 3x cheaper than RCI. Is that really true, or is it 3x cheaper than Allure?

I ask because I just looked at a Labor Day Freedom cruise for $699. Is CCL selling 7 nighters for $233 that week?????

-beep beep-back up. I was commenting on the 3 week vacation on Carnival against a one week RCCL. It's the other posters that said that so I commented on it. I didn't check anything-just saying IF it was I'd possibly choose Carnival!!;)

-beep beep-back up. I was commenting on the 3 week vacation on Carnival against a one week RCCL. It's the other posters that said that so I commented on it. I didn't check anything-just saying IF it was I'd possibly choose Carnival!!;)

So might anyone, but the idea that RCI's prices, even for Allure and Oasis, are three times as expensive as Carnival's doesn't pass the "smell test". If you were going to comment on a post, don't you think you ought to have checked out the claims first rather than accepting what is written as being gospel?

So might anyone, but the idea that RCI's prices, even for Allure and Oasis, are three times as expensive as Carnival's doesn't pass the "smell test". If you were going to comment on a post, don't you think you ought to have checked out the claims first rather than accepting what is written as being gospel?

My thoughts exactly. I just found a Serenade cruise for $609 and Allure for $895 this summer, and that's without discounts. If CCL is going for $203 or $298 on summer cruises, they must really be hurting for business.

Trust me-I never take anything here written as gospel!!!:D Too many wanna be know it alls!! :p

You're probably right because this whole discussion is probably irrelevant as I'm not sure any cruise line has any ship that is equal in size to Oasis or Allure but I could be wrong.

I thought we were comparing Dream to the big mama's and I have never set foot on any but I though Dream was one of the larger ships for the Carnival fleet. I could be wrong on that too. :o

My bad-confussion. Aren't we all at times. ;)

Still- comparing ships that are fairly close with ports that are also close at same time of year-a cruise 3 times less expensive would make me ponder the thought of trying that ship-whoever it may be. That's all.

I feel RCL is very reasonable, we enjoy sailing princess as well but have not been able to because their prices are so much higher for a similiar cruise. Overall cruising, we prefer RCL anyway, they have provided us a much more enjoyable cruise in all areas.

Still- comparing ships that are fairly close with ports that are also close at same time of year-a cruise 3 times less expensive would make me ponder the thought of trying that ship-whoever it may be. That's all.

As I said, I would agree with that premise but I don't believe you will find that much of a discrepancy in fares between even the newest and largest Carnival ships and Allure and Oasis, so the issue is moot. For the record no other cruise ships come close to matching the size of Allure and Oasis.

It's a good question. I was on a 5 day Med cruise on the Liberty last month. It was expensive for a balcony cabin considering how short the cruise was. Was it worth it - absolutely NOT. The ship is fairly new and beautiful, but it's not at all upscale and the food quality is not much better than hospital cafeteria.

I hadn't been on RCCL for a few years and thought I'd give it another try. Officially the space ratio number is not that bad at 42.5, but it seemed much more crowded than that.

One improvement though is the reduction in announcements. I didn't hear the constant reminders for bingo and art auctions that were so frequent a few years ago.

I have sailed on most of the major cruise lines...all are pretty similar. I look for the best deal. However, I have sailed on Celebrity and would pay the extra buck to do it again. This is the only cruise line where I saw a big difference.

RCCL is way more expensive than other comparable cruise lines. Are the ships always full? I mean, I can understand the new ships like the Allure but the older ships prices are to high for the value.

Yes, the newer ships are expensive compared to the competition. However, the older ships are not. I'm am getting a junior suit for $300 per night (not $300 per person - $300 total per night). That is competitive with the balcony rates on the competition.

As I said, I would agree with that premise but I don't believe you will find that much of a discrepancy in fares between even the newest and largest Carnival ships and Allure and Oasis, so the issue is moot. For the record no other cruise ships come close to matching the size of Allure and Oasis.

I didn't see anyone disputing the size of anything. :rolleyes:

And no one was disputing the price variations of 1st and 2nd passengers. What I said was that the 3rd/4th passengers on RCI are always more on a typical 7-10 day cruise than CCL. They are. Period. I have six people in my party, so we ALWAYS have to book 2 rooms with extra passengers and RCI is outrageous on those prices compared to other lines. I have no qualms with their other prices as they are usually at least fairly close if you take your time and really search for a decent deal.

Comparing Allure and Oasis to any ship isn't apples to apples, so why bring those into this kind of discussion? I love the Freedom class ships, but I'll never step foot on a ship as big as those two monsters. Not my thing...

Yes, the newer ships are expensive compared to the competition. However, the older ships are not. I'm am getting a junior suit for $300 per night (not $300 per person - $300 total per night). That is competitive with the balcony rates on the competition.

But, when you compare their older ships with other lines older ships, they are still usually higher. The only one I can think of that isn't is the Monarch. Frankly, we enjoy her very much!

Mariner was the worst ship I've ever stepped foot on (not the ship itself, but everything that went with her) and Freedom is one of the best. Go figure... However, I'd compare the overall experience on Freedom with Carnival's Dream. The ship wasn't as pretty, but other factors of a great cruise certainly compared. Actually, the food, standard balcony cabins, and bedding on the Dream blows RCI out of the water.

But, when you compare their older ships with other lines older ships, they are still usually higher. The only one I can think of that isn't is the Monarch. Frankly, we enjoy her very much!

Mariner was the worst ship I've ever stepped foot on (not the ship itself, but everything that went with her) and Freedom is one of the best. Go figure... However, I'd compare the overall experience on Freedom with Carnival's Dream. The ship wasn't as pretty, but other factors of a great cruise certainly compared. Actually, the food, standard balcony cabins, and bedding on the Dream blows RCI out of the water.

I did not make a value statement. I simply pointed out that if you look you can find prices on Royal Caribbean that are competitive with the other lines. As you wish one provides a better value, that is for the person paying for the cruise to decide.

In December 2008 I wanted to take a weekend cruise down to Mexico. My choices where the Monarch of the Seas and the Carnival Paradise. Same time period, same cruise (the two ships have the same itinerary and were even in port at the same time). I saved $250 by booking on the Monarch OTS.

I wish we didn't love RCI so much - 14 nights in August on Independence (ocean view cabin) - passengers 1 & 2 £2582 each and 3rd passenger...........£1994 - and yes that is £'s not $'s. We originally wanted ocean view but there was just one inside cabin available, then we got lucky and they had a cancellation, so yes, people are paying it.

Gill

The answer truly is " because they can" and people will pay it. "Perception is reality " Whether or not it is true.

Carnival is perceived as the cheap cruise line and having the lowest class and standards. However RCL is perceived as a higher class than carnival and therefor they ask and get more money for the same cruise. I have yet to sail RCL but am looking forward to it. My friends who have sailed both said there more similar than not but there are some subtle differences including decor.

The answer truly is " because they can" and people will pay it. "Perception is reality " Whether or not it is true.

Carnival is perceived as the cheap cruise line and having the lowest class and standards. However RCL is perceived as a higher class than carnival and therefor they ask and get more money for the same cruise. I have yet to sail RCL but am looking forward to it. My friends who have sailed both said there more similar than not but there are some subtle differences including decor.

I have sailed both. Six with Royal Caribbean and seven with Carnival. I have one future cruise booked on each. Both lines are more alike than different IMO.

Comparing Allure and Oasis to any ship isn't apples to apples, so why bring those into this kind of discussion?

Because that is what the Op said.

Actually, the food, standard balcony cabins, and bedding on the Dream blows RCI out of the water.

Well, that is certainly a matter of opinion because I could not disagree more. In fact, I think just the opposite.

So you would do, one week of RCCL Allure cruising over 3 weeks of a Conquest or Dream class carnival ship if you had the choice??

I certainly would. In fact, I wouldn't sail again on Carnival if it were free. In our experience, it was absolutely NOT comparable to RCI, and RCI is worth every penny

Archived