Same amount of days

balcony same area on each ship

family of 4

similar ports

Leaving from the same port

Dream-$2,969

freedom- $4003

Are these ships similar??

we all get that many like Royal an stay loyal-yadah yadah............but for the first time cruiser or one that shows no real preference-this is huge savings and maybe not now but the future may show Royal needs to come down a bit. Wouldn't that be a great thing!!!

RCCL is way more expensive than other comparable cruise lines. Are the ships always full? I mean, I can understand the new ships like the Allure but the older ships prices are to high for the value.

DW and I noticed the same thing a week or two back.

We like RCCI, but just could not justify the price differential.

Posed a question regarding the price differeniatial RCCI charges...

The responses ranged from 'Agreement' -to- 'You get what you pay for' -to- 'Your comparisions are inaccurate'..blah...blah..blah...oh yeah numerious people attempting to teach me econ101. :rolleyes:

Anyways.. in the end we booked with CCL for the same class room, for half the price. $2000 looks better in my pocket...yes the differential was $2000. I could justify $500 or so..but not $2000.

Will we cruise again with RCCI..ABSOLUTLY. But our belief is that RCCI has extended the price point a bit to much for our 'Value Vs. Cost' measuring tape.

In the end..RCCI's future Qrtly statements will bear out if their price structure was correct.

Dream-$2,969

freedom- $4003

we all get that many like Royal an stay loyal-yadah yadah............but for the first time cruiser or one that shows no real preference-this is huge savings and maybe not now but the future may show Royal needs to come down a bit. Wouldn't that be a great thing!!!

Well, unlike previously stated, that is not 3x more expensive. That is not even 2x more expensive.

But this goes back to basic Economics 101. Why is Freedom more expensive? One word = Demand. So yes, the Dream will most likely attract the first time cruiser, but the Freedom will most likely attract the more experienced cruiser who knows the difference.

Of course we all want prices to cheaper. That's a "duh" statement. But prices are based on supply and demand and RCI has more demand - even with being a larger cruise line than Carnival.

I really don't get what the big deal here is. If you feel that RCI is worth the $$ that is your opinion, you don't you don't. As long as there are people out there that feel it is the pricing will reflect that.

Personally for my last few cruises I have compared multiple cruise lines and landed with RCI for a number of reasons, one being price. Yes, that is right my last few cruises RCI has actually been the least expensive.

Do you research and decide what works best for you and your family. Coming on here with your opinions is not going to change anyone else's opinion. Give it up!

Anyways.. in the end we booked with CCL for the same class room, for half the price. $2000 looks better in my pocket...yes the differential was $2000. I could justify $500 or so..but not $2000.

Now my curiosity is sparked. What RCI cruises were you considering and what CCL cruise did you book? What date? No offense, but I just want to look for myself.

RCI may not be a premium line, but to those of us who love large and beautiful ships with lots of bells and whistles, it is the best in business. I am willing to pay more, sometimes quite a bit more for Voyager, Freedom or Oasis class ships.

Carnival is a good line. I have sailed on it and have no complaints at all. However, Carnival does not have anything special or different to offer. Its strategy is to provide a basic product with a great value, and premium prices it will not charge.

Well, unlike previously stated, that is not 3x more expensive. That is not even 2x more expensive.

Yup-but a thousand bucks is not chump change for many!!!;)

I tried to do a price compare with my Voyager cruise with something else leaving out of NOLA and Carnival only offered a 5 nighter so Royal had me!!!:)

Ok I just did a quick fake booking.

Dream and Freedom

Same month

Same amount of days

family of 4

similar ports

Dream-$2,969

freedom- $4003

The ships are similar in size , but the Dream is smaller than the Freedom, but holds more people.

Freedom is 160000 GRT and holds 3634 people, double occupancy, giving a space of 44.03 GRT per person

Dream is 130000 GRT and holds 3646 people, double occupancy, giving a space of 35.66 GRT per person, so almost 25% more room per person on the Freedom.

I really don't get what the big deal here is. If you feel that RCI is worth the $$ that is your opinion, you don't you don't. As long as there are people out there that feel it is the pricing will reflect that.

Yes! I agree 100%.

If you think there is no difference between cruise lines other than the name on the ship, then by all means, book the cheaper one. Good for you. No sense bickering over it and trying to make others agree with your opinion.

Dream and Freedom

Same month

Same amount of days

family of 4

similar ports

Dream-$2,969

freedom- $4003

Certainly that is a substantial difference but whether or not the ships and ports are similar, if RCI can operate its ships profitably and sail at or near capacity, why in the world do you expect them to lower their prices? Lower prices might make you feel better but if they don't need to lower their prices it is foolish to believe that they will. Nothing is more basic than the fact that prices reflect what the market will bear. It isn't a matter of staying loyal to a particular line, it is a simple case of Economics 101. What any line will be doing in the distant future is a subject for another discussion. Who knows? All those "first time cruisers or those who show no real preference" for a particular line, who are attracted to Carnival could cause Carnival to raise its fares.

RCCL is way more expensive than other comparable cruise lines. Are the ships always full? I mean, I can understand the new ships like the Allure but the older ships prices are to high for the value.

you cant ask that in the royal caribbean forum. Is like asking a lady gaga fan if he or she likes his music LOL. In my opinion , i dont see why royal is more expensive. This is not like buying a toyota or a bmw. Royal is very similar to other cruiseline ;)

As empty nesters we have more flexibility as far as dates of sailings, which leads to higher prices for those with school sensitive dates that are in demand. Reading posts on Cruise critic can (and has for us) help by providing info./ideas to find savings/discounts on just about any cruise.

you cant ask that in the royal caribbean forum. Is like asking a lady gaga fan if he or she likes his music LOL. In my opinion , i dont see why royal is more expensive. This is not like buying a toyota or a bmw. Royal is very similar to other cruiseline ;)

If you don't see it, then why is you perceived answer in your signature??:confused:

What any line will be doing in the distant future is a subject for another discussion. Who knows?.

Agreed as none of us really know.

As long as I'm having a great vacation-it's all good!!!:D

You certainly can ask that question and it is frequently asked. Unfortunately, you like so many who ask the question don't like the answer: It is more expensive because people are willing to pay it. If the lines were as similar as you claim, they would all be priced similarly and those which were priced higher wouldn't be able to fill their ships. It isn't that difficult to understand for those with even a modicum of common sense. None is so blind as those who refuse to see.:rolleyes:

Dream and Freedom

Same month

Same amount of days

family of 4

similar ports

Dream-$2,969

freedom- $4003

It would be fairer to compare the Carnival Dream to a Voyager class ship (they are closer in size).

That's right, Fire. It's not for every date...but, it sure does seem to be more the "norm" than any other cruise line. THAT'S the point that I was trying to make. Carnival and NCL almost never charge more than 299.00-399.00 per person for 3/4th pax. However, quite often, although not EVERY time, RCI charges more!

Really? "never"?

Just priced the Dream for mid-summer.

$1100 for 1st/2nd

$900 for 3rd/4th

Since when is Royal Caribbean expensive than other cruiselines?????

It's usually more expensive than Carnival, but not significantly. There are plenty of occasions where RCI is less expensive than CCL on the same itinerary (but to be fair, the RCI ship is usually smaller or older).

I thought it was on about the same price level as Norwegian. If there is a difference in prices, it is not very significant.

Also, make sure you're comparing apples to apples. Is the itinerary the same? Ship size roughly the same? Are they sailing from the same port of call? Often, there are times when a Carnival Cruise or a Norwegian Cruise with a similar itinerary would be less expensive than RCI for us, except if it's sailing from Miami, that's a long drive or a plane flight away. Since we are driving distance from Tampa and Port Canaveral, the money saved in plane tickets often makes up the "difference."

Royal Caribbean is a very affordable cruiseline. It is in the same "inexpensive, mass-market" category as Carnival and Norwegian. There are many more cruiselines than RCI, CCL, and NCL!!! Saying that RCI is "more expensive than all others" is very far from the truth, considering that there are more expensive mass-market lines such as Princess, Holland America, Celebrity, and Disney, as well as luxury cruiselines.

Mariner was the worst ship I've ever stepped foot on (not the ship itself, but everything that went with her) and Freedom is one of the best. Go figure... However, I'd compare the overall experience on Freedom with Carnival's Dream. The ship wasn't as pretty, but other factors of a great cruise certainly compared. Actually, the food, standard balcony cabins, and bedding on the Dream blows RCI out of the water.

Oh my goodness, I hated the Dream. The layout was very inefficient in areas of great traffic, such as the buffet. The buffet was a giant disaster, and they need to just rip it out and start over (I'm an architect, so I'm always overevaluating use of space :o).

I did not like the food on the Dream, at all. I think RCI's food and food selection is much better than Carnival's (to be fair, our cruise was a 9-day, so it was different than the normal 7-day, so I think they were running out of options... though I was completely depressed that during our entire Caribbean Cruise, they didn't serve key lime pie :mad:).

I also loved the Mariner. It's one of my favorite ships layout-wise. :D

If someone offered anyone on here $1000 to cruise on a new Carnival ship they would take it.

As you have discovered that is the difference in price - you have to find out what the differences are between the two cruise lines.

DO NOT TRY TO DO THAT ON THESE BOARDS :rolleyes:

Look at the pictures on Goggle and the deck plans and images on the two cruise line websites.

You will form a good enough opinion about what is most value for money to you.

In my case.........I pay for what I can afford;)

Look, the prices on RC ARE going up and IMO have for about 3 years. Ever so slightly they have gone up........and that's ok by me.......I'm a retired realist not a loyalist. For those that say there is a difference in cruise lines.......have you sailed most of them in the last 18 months? One guy in particular implies there is a difference and has nothing but RC cruises listed in his signature:rolleyes: How would he know LOL!!

We have 20 cruises under our belt and 15 are on Royal Caribbean. We love the RC experience......but our last 3 cruises are on Princess and HAL and 2 of our next 3 cruises are on Princess.........why.......itinerary and price. Once you sail HAL, they have the best 6 month out prices I have ever seen. The basic cruise experience is about the same for the basic same itinerary (I know there are always differences by one port or another). but if I can save $300 pp, that is $600 and pays for SHIPBOARD charges. So while everyone gets economic lessons about supply and demand etc.....the prices will just keep going up.....and again, I'm ok with that......they are a for profit business.

The title of this thread maybe should be What is your breaking point? $200 more, $400 more..........I will sail Royal at any price?????

Being retired on a fixed income is what made me look at other cruise lines. I choose NOT to spend money I don't have.........I have a fixed budget.......maybe someday I'll be priced out of the market.......but that's ok too...........what makes this country great is the choices we have....and for some of us.......price does affect choices.........and that's ok too.

I prefer Royal Caribbean...............my pocket book depending on time of year, itinerary, and price won't hesitate to pick another cruiseline.

It would be fairer to compare the Carnival Dream to a Voyager class ship (they are closer in size).

thanks.

I know nothing of the Carnival line but don't seem to feel they are one to not price check with.:confused:

Archived