Istanbul ATM - any tips?

Arriving at Istanbul for 24 hours, and later a stop in Ephesus. I know I can exchange money aboard ship (HAL) but thought the most favorable rate may be from an ATM.

Thing is, I'd hate to disembark only to find there were no ATMs nearby. Is it safe to assume the Istanbul (and many major Cruise Ports in the Eastern Mediteeranean) have adequate access to cash machines?

Also, any words of warning (or wisdom?). I've already called my credit card companies to tell them I will be travelling there.

Do you know what you plan to use the cash for? I realize there are a few places that might require it such as an entrance fee but just wanted to let you know that you can use USA dollars at all of the stores and in many other places.

Yes, call your credit card companies and your atm company(s). Also be sure to write down the card numbers and phone numbers that are for calls back to them outside the USA.

Keith

Istanbul is one of the places where there are PLENTY of ATMs around the area where the ship docks. You should have no trouble locating one on either the relatively busy road that leads up a slight hill to where you can catch the tram, or on the road (very busy) where the tram actually runs.

And you do need lira for the tram tokens, if that is what you're considering.

You will need lire for entrance fees to Hagia Sofia and other attractions. ATMs are available and English is an option on all of them. Take the normal precautions against others observing, don't use a machine if it doesn't act as expected. I would try to use one attached to an open bank in case of any trouble etc.

There are at least 3 banks with ATMs across the road where you come out of the port gate. Most ATMs in Istanbul dispense Turkish Lira, Euro, British Ponds and some even $.

There are at least 3 banks with ATMs across the road where you come out of the port gate. Most ATMs in Istanbul dispense Turkish Lira, Euro, British Ponds and some even $.

I'm not sure I'd agree that "most" do -- in 4 visits to Istanbul I have yet to find an ATM that dispenses anything other than lira, although I know they exist.

Pretty much right across the street from the ship terminal is an ATM,depending where exactly you dock. We were on the Celebity Equinox. I think it is a block to the left. A block to the right is a Starbucks with Wifi.

We leave in mid June and one of our stops is in Turkey, so we will probably be looking for that ATM. I've contacted the bank and credit card companies and was told that there was a $5 charge at the ATM per transaction.

The credit card company charges a 3% fee, so I inquired about preordering Euro. The rate quoted was 6 cents higher than the current exchange rate. So, it looks like they will get you on fees from all directions.

Does anyone know the current exchange rate at the ATM's in Turkey? I know they change daily, but I'm curious as to how close that is to what my bank wanted.

(I may ask this question on the Italy board, so I apologize if you see this again.)

We leave in mid June and one of our stops is in Turkey, so we will probably be looking for that ATM. I've contacted the bank and credit card companies and was told that there was a $5 charge at the ATM per transaction.

The credit card company charges a 3% fee, so I inquired about preordering Euro. The rate quoted was 6 cents higher than the current exchange rate. So, it looks like they will get you on fees from all directions.

Does anyone know the current exchange rate at the ATM's in Turkey? I know they change daily, but I'm curious as to how close that is to what my bank wanted.

(I may ask this question on the Italy board, so I apologize if you see this again.)

The rate charged at most bank ATMs (in any country I've visited) is much closer to the actual exchange rate. I've always found it to be within a cent or so.

You can get a Capital One credit card, which does not charge any conversion fee.

If you are a tourist, someone is always going to make money out of your visit. If you go to a bank, various transaction fees are likely to far exceed those on an ATM machine. If you use a money changer, who knows what they give you?

My advice (although I won't be in Istanbul until October) would be to use the ATM. It's simple, you don't need to take your passport with you, etc. Or if you just need some change, see if anyone will accept your greenbacks and exchange money.

When I was in Brazil, I used ATMs without any problems. Instructions were in English and the machine connected me with a bank in NYC. Also, the transaction fee -- which I thought was very modest compared to European banks -- was the same regardless of the amount.

As to HAL changing money for Turkey, I doubt they will do it but in October I'll learn about that as well.

Archived