Passover on the Celebrity Eclipse - review

ghstudio

We found ourselves on the Eclipse Transatlantic last month for Passover. I had asked before the cruise and was told that there would be a Hazzan/Cantor on board and there would be a service.

When we got to the ship, we asked if there would be a service/dinner for Passover and they said yes, they were doing something in the buffet area, call this number for a reservation. Nothing ever appeared in the daily schedule....you had to ask at the desk. So we arrived in the section of the buffet area set aside for the dinner....expecting ???

Wow, were we shocked. Celebrity had sectioned off a private area with tables set beautifully with table cloths and an individual sedar plate on each table with horseradish, parsley, etc....and a glass of real Manichevitz wine for each attendee. There were about 100 folks attending and a wonderful elderly, humerous Hazzan/Cantor to lead a service from a haggadah that celebrity had printed for each attendee. After the service, they had waiters to serve the meal. In front of each person there was a menu, rolled up and tied with a ribbon. Our second surprise...(menu attached).

It was an absolutely outstanding job by the Celebrity folks....and much appreciated by all who attended. By the way, there was no charge for the special dinner.

Thank you Celebrity for far far exceeding our expectations and cudos to whoever focused on this in Headquarters and made it happen on the Eclipse.

I was on the Infinity Dec 09. First night of Channukuh was a Friday night and two hundred people showed up for services. There was a sign up sheet and only 125 people had signed up and they did not have enough food. After that night we had about 60 people including a young lady (about 10 years old) who lit candles. You cannot light candles in your cabin, but you can bring them to the room they hold the service. We had a Cantor on board who did the services. Last night, Friday night there were only about 75 people.

I try to attend Friday night services for any one who needs to say kaddish.

Enjoy your cruise!:)

That's very good to hear. I have never been on a Celebrity ship for a holiday but our family enjoyed Chanukkah on Royal Caribbean once. While I'm pleased that they made such an effort for Passover, I've been consistently disappointed by Shabbat service on Celebrity. More often than not, the staff has neglected to set the room for us so we have to wait while someone tracks down wine, candles and challah. More than once I have written notes to Guest Relations during the cruise (especially if we'll be on board for more than one Friday) and I've included comments on the forms at the end of the cruise.

I'm hoping that this is a sign that they are making a greater effort for Jewish observance on board.

Thanks for the amazing heads up . We are looking forward to booking on X for next pessach for the whole fam, take a break from the regular commitments and restrictions and try something a little more laid back.

Just a question, did they serve matza or any passover friendly foods for the duration of the cruise and or holiday? Just wondering if I should plan to bring some with, or if it will be provided.

So nice to see them go the extra mile, not necessary, but totally a very nice gesture.

Just a question, did they serve matza or any passover friendly foods for the duration of the cruise and or holiday?

Yes Matzoh was available at the buffet and in the dining room (on request).

We were on the Solstice this last Chanukah and they had a very entertaining Cantor lead candle lighting ( and singing) every night. They also served latkes - the first night they ran out so sent more after that.

It was very nice.

That Seder menu was beautiful!

My travels on X and Azamara during Jewish holidays offered experiences that are consistent with what the Eclipse offered for Passover. In fact, the smallness of the Azamara Journey allowed for a latke (potato pancake) cook-off for Hanukkah, attended by 60 or 70 people, in the specialty restaurant one morning at sea.

I have also traveled Holland America on Jewish holidays, and have found them equally accommodating in offering what was needed to observe the holiday.

At the same time, it is wise to take your own Matzo, as this is the item most often forgotten (at least in sufficient quantity) by the ship.

I have also traveled Holland America on Jewish holidays, and have found them equally accommodating in offering what was needed to observe the holiday.

Have you been on a HAL ship over Passover?

Yes, I was on the Zaandam this year. HAL worked with the rabbi to plan things, had it in a separate section of the Lido buffet area, tablecloths, a seder plate for each table, matzo ball soup, a salad, gefilte fish, roast chicken, and a couple of desserts, including fresh fruit. They had brand-new books for the service. The only thing missing was children! Even if you prefer to cruise child-free, Passover is always better with kids.

For the menu:

http://ghstudio.shutterfly.com

Go to the recent activity section of the page and click on the picture.

What, no bread and butter? :D:D

That is really a nice menu; we were just looking at a cruise over Passover, 2012. The good news is that we can still have family Seders, as we would board on day 2 (3rd night dinner), the bad news is, we won't be able to enjoy what appears to be a wonderfully done event.

Thanks for posting.

I'm not Jewish, but I have an intense interest in all religions and try to learn as much as I can. Being on a cruise during a Jewish holiday would be a great time to gain a better understanding of what the days means and how they are celebrated. I applaud folks who take what they believe with them and try to share it with others. The world needs to understand each other and this is one way.

Thanks for sharing your stories. Jodie

"You cannot light candles in your cabin, but you can bring them to the room they hold the service."

Time to find the electric menorah and extension cord! :p:p:p

I use electric (battery operated) tea lights. I do know that Royal Caribbean uses the same little tea lights where they set up the Shabbat services. I assume this will be the same on X? Is there a "no fire" policy on X?

We were on a transatlantic in 09 and Royal Caribbean provided an electric menorah and latkes (they weren't very good) for Chanukah. It was on Voyager of the Seas and they had an electric menorah on the Promenade, too.

We are doing a 15 day Hawaii cruise in 2012. I sure hope that there will be Shabbat services. Usually I wind up leading them.

Archived