my health insurance already covers emergency evac, should I still buy insurance?

E46M3

As stated, my health insurance covers 100% emergency medical evacuation. And it seems as this is the main reason why people buy insurance for their cruises. my only other concern would be weather related delays since we're cruising in the Caribbean in Sept hurricane season, but even then i doubt weather would be a factor in terms of missing my cruise departure since I'm flying in 3 days before the cruise date. What do you think??

You need to ask a couple more questions. They might pay for it but will they:

1) Provide you with a 24-hour toll free number to a live person that can/will make all of the necessary arrangements for you? Or are you expected to do that yourself?

2) Apparently they will cover the cost of the evac/repatriation but will they pre-pay the service provider? A $50K evac/repatriation might more than max out your credit cards and leave you short of cash just when you may need it the most until the insurer gets around to reimbursing you.

If you buy coverage independently and have an emergency evac situation they will make all of the arrangements for you, they will take care of payment to the service providers with no up-front payment from you (up to whatever the max benefit amount is). Note: it's good that they will pay 100% of the cost -- many others will apply the same out-of-network co-payment/deductible as any other service.

You'll still need Cancellation & Interruption insurance.

Other reasons for missing the ship: natural disaster, strikes by airlines or other personnel, mechanical failure, grounded aircraft for inspections etc.

Cruisingly Yours

If your insurance is anything like mine,,, Yes, the will pay for air ambulance/medevac.

However, they will only medevac you to the nearest facility.

Let's say that closest facility is Grand Cayman. Cool.

Let's say you survive but are in a coma.

Your insurance company will NOT pay to get you back home.

Certain travel insurance will pay to get you back home on a medical flight.

Worse case scenario, your medical insurance pays to get you medevac'd to Grand Cayman, however,, you pass away. MY insurance pays for the medevac, but does not pay for repatriation of my remains. My travel insurance does.

As stated, my health insurance covers 100% emergency medical evacuation. And it seems as this is the main reason why people buy insurance for their cruises. my only other concern would be weather related delays since we're cruising in the Caribbean in Sept hurricane season, but even then i doubt weather would be a factor in terms of missing my cruise departure since I'm flying in 3 days before the cruise date. What do you think??

I worked in the health insurance industry for 10 years. Several things to be aware of--

1. the definition of emergency ---find out exactly what it means to your insurance company

2. as others have noted most insurance will take you to the nearest facility capable of caring for the injury/illness. This is also true of the travel insurance companies. If you want coverage that will bring you either home or to a hospital of your choosing you need to specifically buy a plan that states that in their benefit description. Also, you usually need to be hospitalized ( not treated as an outpatient) for this to take place.

-Barry

• 3 weeks later...
You need to ask a couple more questions. They might pay for it but will they:

1) Provide you with a 24-hour toll free number to a live person that can/will make all of the necessary arrangements for you? Or are you expected to do that yourself?

2) Apparently they will cover the cost of the evac/repatriation but will they pre-pay the service provider? A $50K evac/repatriation might more than max out your credit cards and leave you short of cash just when you may need it the most until the insurer gets around to reimbursing you.

If you buy coverage independently and have an emergency evac situation they will make all of the arrangements for you, they will take care of payment to the service providers with no up-front payment from you (up to whatever the max benefit amount is). Note: it's good that they will pay 100% of the cost -- many others will apply the same out-of-network co-payment/deductible as any other service.

Can you or anyone else recommend a travel insurance company? We are mostly interested in insurance that will take care of payment to a service provider with no up-front payment from us and will make all the arrangements for an emergency trip back home if necessary. Thanks much. You may email me at brenda_wade at comcast dot net. Thanks again.

My wife had a doctors visit recently on a ship. I always thought my Blue Cross Insurance would take care of anything away from home.

WRONG!!!!

Luckily the bill was only $150

Blue Cross denied because the doctor was not a Blue Cross provider

I am a former paramedic and search and rescue person. If you are sick and injured in the carribean chances are you may need an air ambulance and/or medical evac.

If your injured on a small island, the quality of the care is limmited most often and you will need airlift. At the same time, if you fall and have a fractured extemity, the ship can mostly handle it. Especially the larger ships, however if you need orthopedic surgery, the cost coast guard will be called and you will be choppered off the ship.

I always purchase insurance due to reactive airway symdrome and world trade center cough and head injury. Also, if your traveling with small kids, it would be a good idea.

For the first time in my life, i will be going on a cruise before in a presidenitial suite, then moving out of NYC thanks to a law that is providing compensation for the rescue squads that participated in rescue and recovery work at ground zero.

Also, your state of health should determine the need. Most polcies do offer upgrades to include pre-exitings.

Hope this helps.

Phil

• 1 month later...
I am a former paramedic and search and rescue person. If you are sick and injured in the carribean chances are you may need an air ambulance and/or medical evac.

If your injured on a small island, the quality of the care is limmited most often and you will need airlift. At the same time, if you fall and have a fractured extemity, the ship can mostly handle it. Especially the larger ships, however if you need orthopedic surgery, the cost coast guard will be called and you will be choppered off the ship.

I always purchase insurance due to reactive airway symdrome and world trade center cough and head injury. Also, if your traveling with small kids, it would be a good idea.

For the first time in my life, i will be going on a cruise before in a presidenitial suite, then moving out of NYC thanks to a law that is providing compensation for the rescue squads that participated in rescue and recovery work at ground zero.

Also, your state of health should determine the need. Most polcies do offer upgrades to include pre-exitings.

Hope this helps.

Phil

Bless you Questor 3000! You said it all. Everyone needs insurance, don't leave home without it!

Archived