Casual night dress code--are jeans really appropriate?

I usually wear khakis, a button-down, and black shoes even on casual nights, but on our last cruise, others at the table were all wearing jeans, so I wore jeans (still with the black dress shoes and button down shirt) for the remaining casual nights. I have been on enough RCI cruises to know that many people wear jeans (and much less) on the casual nights, but is it really appropriate?

Setting aside the question of what CAN you do, I'm curious to hear what people think you SHOULD do?

Jeans are pants...cotton denim, but PANTS, still! They are fine on casual nights, as long as they aren't the jeans you wear to cut grass or paint the house.

IMO, as long as the rest of the outfit is appropriate, then the style of trousers isn't a big deal. A dark wash is better than a bleached-out pair of jeans!

I do not believe jeans are ok. Vacations are special to me so no jeans those are everyday.

Been on two 13 niters with RCI (both in Europe) and I agree no jeans in the MDR.....except the final night. With debarkation looming, comfort not beauty wins out IMHO.

I see no problem with wearing jeans. I wear jeans to Smith & Wolensky. I also wear them to the hoity toity french restaurant in town. As long as you look nice is all that should matter. I'm not sure what all of the uproar is about when it comes to jeans.

Edited by sherilyn70

Just for reference about fancy restaurants and jeans, I have some pictures to show for it.

Fiance and I celebrating his sons 15th birthday at Smith & Wolensky (all of us are wearing jeans) - $260 for all 3 of us

5734882885_a08779eb75_z.jpg

And then at Fogo de Chao with friends celebrating while on vacation. - $150 per couple

5735431660_86c1de7dd3_z.jpg

I think this is a non-issue and I'm not sure why you posted it? Jeans are not mentioned in the dress code with the exception of Murder Mystery Dinner and other special events. They are permitted, it's RCI's call, it's not an issue of appropriate or not. It's a matter of "personal taste", not "appropriate" or should or shouldn't.

The right pair of jeans can look very nice and very appropriate for the MDR. The make-over on the Nate show today had on a pair of dark wash jeans with a navy blazer and his outfit looked dressier than any pair of dockers I've seen.

Sherri:)

Edited by sjb317

I really don't understand what the big deal is regarding jeans. Shorts, cut off sleeves, I understand is maybe pushing it. But jeans? C'mon guys, loosen up a little. Cruises are nice, but this isnt' the Waldorf.

Once one is seated can anyone really tell what kind of pants they are wearing? Does it really spoil anyone's meal if they see someone in jeans for the 15 seconds it takes for them to walk to their table? Hey, who knows what that news anchor is wearing beind that desk?

The right pair of jeans can look very nice and very appropriate for the MDR. The make-over on the Nate show today had on a pair of dark wash jeans with a navy blazer and his outfit looked dressier than any pair of dockers I've seen.

I agree..I posted this just to gauge response--largely out of curiosity. I would never judge someone else for what they are wearing or let someone else's dress bother me. Personally, I think that if I were to wear a t-shirt on formal night or sandals and shorts on casual night, I would feel uncomfortable, and I personally enjoy dressing up for a nice meal. However, being in my early-twenties, I find that often times the "stylish" dress for even nice restaurants or nights out involves dress shoes, a button down shirt, and jeans (as opposed to dress pants). For me, personally, jeans often looks more appropriate than wearing khakis, but I think it also has to do with context and situation. On my last cruise, we were were with other young couples, and I did not want to feel "overdressed" for our table at least. If everyone else with whom we were sitting was more dressed up, I probably would follow suit.

being in my early-twenties, I find that often times the "stylish" dress for even nice restaurants or nights out involves dress shoes, a button down shirt, and jeans (as opposed to dress pants). For me, personally, jeans often looks more appropriate than wearing khakis, but I think it also has to do with context and situation.

And the fiance and I also agree with that, and we're both in our 40s. So it really isn't an age thing from what I can tell. It is nice to dress up every once in a while and that's what the formal night is where I go all out as you can see by my avatar. But the rest of the nights are focused more on comfort, and I am most comfortable in a pair of nice jeans. :)

A new clean pair of jeans, with a smart shirt and classy shoes.

Or...

An aged pair of trousers with iron shine, and a shirt that you would also wear for work.

Which is smarter?

:cool:

Its YOUR vacation so wear what YOU want...Do I think people should wear Jeans in the Dinning Room no. However, thats my view so I dont wear jeans. If you want to wear jeans go for it! Its your break from the real world enjoy your short WEEK! :D Wear the jeans

And the fiance and I also agree with that, and we're both in our 40s. So it really isn't an age thing from what I can tell. It is nice to dress up every once in a while and that's what the formal night is where I go all out as you can see by my avatar. But the rest of the nights are focused more on comfort, and I am most comfortable in a pair of nice jeans. :)

And my husband & I are in our 50s:eek: so I agree it isn't really an age thing. I have worn dark jeans with a sparkly top and heels to the MDR for casual nights (although not in the Caribbean, jeans usually stay home for the Caribbean:D) and my husband has worn jeans with a sport coat to Chops or Portofino. Personally, I don't understand the people who get so upset with what others wear, I do not spend my dining time criticizing the clothing of my fellow diners.

And my husband & I are in our 50s:eek: so I agree it isn't really an age thing. I have worn dark jeans with a sparkly top and heels to the MDR for casual nights (although not in the Caribbean, jeans usually stay home for the Caribbean:D) and my husband has worn jeans with a sport coat to Chops or Portofino. Personally, I don't understand the people who get so upset with what others wear, I do not spend my dining time criticizing the clothing of my fellow diners.

Everyone keeps talking about jeans and the Caribbean... but I guess I didn't really notice it not being uncomfortable because I always go in the middle of winter when the temperatures are still very moderate. Jeans were comfortable in the dinning room this year in early February in the southern Caribbean and I imagine will be just as comfortable in western as well next year.

Edited by sherilyn70

Everyone keeps talking about jeans and the Caribbean... but I guess I didn't really notice it not being uncomfortable because I always go in the middle of winter when the temperatures are still very moderate. Jeans were comfortable in the dinning room this year in early February in the southern Caribbean and I imagine will be just as comfortable in western as well next year.

I don't think it's a temp thing as I think jeans could be comfortable in the dining room, it's just a "mind" thing for me. When we go to the Caribbean it is winter in Indiana and a cruise for me is an opportunity to escape the ice & cold & wear capris & flip flops, so no jeans! My husband says he knows he's on vacation when he hears my flip flops coming down the hall:D. I do take (and wear) jeans on our European cruises.

Edited by sjb317

I think nice jeans are fine to wear in the MDR. If I am on vacation, especially after a long day of being in the sun, I don't want to get all dressed up for dinner. Yes, I will still look nice but I don't like being restricted to a formal dresscode to eat. I already have to dress professionally everyday at the office, I don't want to be hauling my work appropriate clothes on my cruise.

At the risk of typecasting, I think a lot of more traditional cruisers and those that are retired might feel differently. Everyone vacations a different way. I like to vacation to relax and get away from work but some people who are retired might want to look at a cruise vacation as a time to dress up, mingle/meet new people, eat delicious food, etc. I vacation to visit new places, people watch, relax, get sun, and to get away from my everyday life (where I have to dress up at work). I think maybe these more traditional cruisers might be more happy on a different cruise line because RC of recently seems to definitely cater to the family style/couples demographic and those folks just don't always want to put on slacks, dresses, skirts, etc. to eat dinner.

But!!!!!!!!, there are jeans there are jeans, some are for yard work and some are for dress. Some people just do not know the difference. But I really do not care what they wear.

I love the old joke, I guess form RC intertwinement, which kinda fits here, " Just be cause they make it in your size, maybe you should not wear it" this applies to a lot of people and a lot of clothing styles.