Smuggling liquor on board. How many people actually get away with it?

CatieLadie

There are two sides to this issue. One the one hand the cruise lines try to prevent you from bringing "hard" liquor on board because it cuts into one of their main revenue streams. The lines we have sailed with have allowed on or two bottles of wine to come aboard for in room or dining room consumption (with a corkage fee).

On the other hand, on embarkation days the cruise lines have to move a huge quantity of bags onto the ship. Take the number of cabins and multiply by two or more for the number of bags to get an idea and then look at the time available to accomplish this Herculean task. How closely can they be looking? I imagine that spot checks are the order of the day.

It is possible to smuggle liquor on-board and many have been successful in doing so. Just remember that the cruise lines have been doing this for a long time and they have seen most every dodge imaginable. I also think that they have people who read cruise critic to keep tabs on what new scheme their passengers might come up with.

Whatever you decide to do I wish you a pleasant and memorable cruise! :)

My fiancé and I are taking our first cruise this October for our Honeymoon. I've heard horror stories from people who racked up quite the alcohol bill while on board. We're somewhat heavy drinkers so this is concerning. I have friends who recently cruised who were able to smuggle a few bottles of liquor on in their suitcases without issue.

How common is it to get away with this? It seems like everyone I've talked to recently who has cruised was able to get away with it.

O MY GOD, you will get slaughtered on here for DARING to ask that question. :D Wait for the s***t to hit the fan :eek:

O MY GOD, you will get slaughtered on here for DARING to ask that question. :D Wait for the s***t to hit the fan :eek:

On RCCI, we took 2 lousy bottles of wine in 'checked' luggage. That luggage didn't make it to our room. Just a note to come and claim it! So down went DH...the wine itself was about $15-$20 a bottle. Had to pay $15. per bottle to get our luggage back...So, each bottle costs between $30 and $40 a bottle...Was it worth it? Not at all.

You decide.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding and enjoy your Honeymoon.

Safe sails!

I have a 100% success rate. The key is moderation. If you try to bring a whole bar, you're going to be caught. If you bring a couple minis and rum runners tucked here and there, you'll likely slide right through.

For the Royal Carribean beer drinkers (like my husband), note that Johnny Rockets sells draft beer in a cup slightly larger than those at the other bars . . . for a slightly smaller price.

I have a 100% success rate. The key is moderation. If you try to bring a whole bar, you're going to be caught. If you bring a couple minis and rum runners tucked here and there, you'll likely slide right through.

For the Royal Carribean beer drinkers (like my husband), note that Johnny Rockets sells draft beer in a cup slightly larger than those at the other bars . . . for a slightly smaller price.

Same with me...

So what its up to the indivual

who hasn't taken a bottle into a 4/5 star hotel for their room

for personnel use.

only if you abuse it by using in a bar or dinning room.

after all in not real smuggling is it .......................

:cool:

How do you pack your Rum Runners? Bottom of suitcase? Right on top? Packed in anything besides the Rum Runner?

I think we'll stick with a few bottles of wine and some mini bottles of liquor.

Lol, apparently. I guess I learned my lesson. Some of the people on CC certainly get their panties in a bunch. Uptight much?

I think we'll stick with a few bottles of wine and some mini bottles of liquor.

Lol, apparently. I guess I learned my lesson. Some of the people on CC certainly get their panties in a bunch. Uptight much?

There really are some great helpful people on these forums that never make others feel bad for asking something.

As one poster pointed out recently. If everyone used search button all time, there would be no need for forum really.

How do you pack your Rum Runners? Bottom of suitcase? Right on top? Packed in anything besides the Rum Runner?
I much prefer the mini-bottles, but I also have SMALL rum runners -- maybe one pint size? I've packed them inside a ziplock among the clothes. Also, spread your stuff throughout your suitcases.

Again, moderation. I take very little, but it gets through. Since I like fru-fru drinks and my husband likes beer, there's little point in bringing a whole lot anyway, but it's better to get half a dozen mini-bottles through than to have them take a couple fifths.

And obviously, don't take anything you're not willing to lose -- it could happen any time. I only take $5-10 worth of alcohol. No great risk. More than that, we'd never use in the room anyway.

Thanks for that tip MrsPete. We are going on the Med Cruise with RCL in less than 2 weeks and this is a bit of an issue. As a beer drinker then I shall not bother trying to smuggle anything but a barrel, er anyone got that one through check-in?:confused:

Also as we are flying to port then weight restrictions are imposed so alcohol is the least of your problems. Would pay anything not to have my wife forget yet another dress for the formal evenings!!!;)

If u really want a liquor solution, why not investigate:

rum runners, ok ------- easy, simple.....(not good for beer) but best for hard stuff...you mix with juices etc from on bosrd...ok. Also, inest in a luggage weight meter. If yours is 50 lbs, then u kow what to take out, oif your is 4o the u know how much flowing ounces u can add to your rummy runners. ok.

Good luck...www. rumrunnerflasks .com/

My hubby is a beer drinker - we are cruising on Carnival next week. Will guest services arrange for beer in our cabin?

Hope I'm not to late before you sale. I read on one of these forums where someone got a 12 pack of soda, opened it from the bottom, after removing the soda replaced it with beer. I will be attempting this myself in a month.

My fiancé and I are taking our first cruise this October for our Honeymoon. I've heard horror stories from people who racked up quite the alcohol bill while on board. We're somewhat heavy drinkers so this is concerning. I have friends who recently cruised who were able to smuggle a few bottles of liquor on in their suitcases without issue.

How common is it to get away with this? It seems like everyone I've talked to recently who has cruised was able to get away with it.

Catie: go onto your web search && search RumRunner. Once you enter the website, there are a few different packages you can purchase. I have the spring break cruise package. I believe it's about $24 plus little shipping. I see you live in ny as well, and I remember it being about an extra $5 for s/h. I have used these about 5 times, and I have yet to get caught. I would stick them inbetween my clothing. Cruise Lines mostly look for bottles and bombs. And if you are looking to save money on alcohol, this is the way to go.

I much prefer the mini-bottles, but I also have SMALL rum runners -- maybe one pint size? I've packed them inside a ziplock among the clothes. Also, spread your stuff throughout your suitcases.

Again, moderation. I take very little, but it gets through. Since I like fru-fru drinks and my husband likes beer, there's little point in bringing a whole lot anyway, but it's better to get half a dozen mini-bottles through than to have them take a couple fifths.

And obviously, don't take anything you're not willing to lose -- it could happen any time. I only take $5-10 worth of alcohol. No great risk. More than that, we'd never use in the room anyway.

thanks...........I don't mind buying........no cruiseline I've found yet carries what I drink......I would gladly pay if they just carried it......I appreciate the tips.

We tried this on Carnival and they took our liquor.

To the OP? What cruise line are you sailing on? We had NO problem on Princess, even with bringing a 6 pack onto the ship in St. Maarten.

Let me tell you about a very funny story that happened about 8 years ago

I had a friend who was going on her first cruise on the NCL Sun. So she came to me for advice. I had already been on a handful of cruises back then, all Carnival. She asked about bringing liquor on board. I told her that on our 1st cruise we had brought 2 bottles of wine since it was our anniversary cruise and we stayed in our room and drank them. Back then we never got the cork charge. She preceeded to tell me how not only was she going to bring her own liquor but she was going to bring her own Blender. I told her not to, they would be confiscated.

Her response was, well you were on Carnival and I am going on NCL so you don't know what you are talking about. I told her ok, you do what you want. She proceeded to bring not only her own blender, her own bottles of liquor and her bottles of Strawberry Daiquri or Margariitaville mix.

Sure enough all her things were confiscated and she did not get them back until the end of her cruise.

We don't smuggle alcohol onto the ship.

HAL offers you 1 liter bottles that you can either order online, through ship services or buy from a bar anything that you want for incabin consumption.

But again..........if they (or any cruiseline) carried what I drink:D

Oh I'm sorry, I thought this was a first time cruiser board. This is literally my first day on this forum but thanks for the warm welcome. *rolls eyes*

That was a bit dramatic don't you think? We can certainly afford the bill but like most people, we're always looking for ways to save money.

@Everyone else: Thanks for the insight. I read today that NCL allows wine to be brought on board so that may solve our problem.

It was extremely dramatic and uncalled for, I think that poster needs a drink.

That being said I am a heavy drinker also, from noon until 1 am I am good for 7 or 8 anyway and thats really not a lot if you figure 2 or 3 beers by the pool during the day and 2 wines at dinner im already at 5 for god's sake and haven't even hit the clubs! Try the pocket shots they are little 1 ounce pouches they come 12 to a box for about 25 bucks, some people will tell you they taste terrible but i think they are fine. I've only had the vodka ones though but they come in whiskey and tequila too. good luck!

I am going to try to get my box of wine on board!

I suppose it does depend upon which cruise line you are taking. I have only cruised on HAL and Oceania, but have never had a problem. I always buy those little booze bottles at the liquor store at home and pack them in my checked bag.

I also try to buy some local wines or liquor at every port we stop at then bring them back onboard with me for afternoon cocktails in our room. I have never even had anyone say anything about it - surely they see it when it goes through the scanner. I don't think it would be appropriate to bring them out into the common areas, though.

First of all I think most cruise lines have abused since 9/11 their x-ray equipment to look for alcohol rather than use it for their intended use.

Second: to pay an inflated price for a drink while entertainment is in place, I have no problem with. But paying 5 euros for a small beer on the pool deck with no entertainment in place is milking the customer.

Third: What you do in your stateroom is your business, just like in any hotel room in the world.

Gratuities: No problem with paying mandatory gratuities on board, as long as the service is up to par. But please include it in the fare.

Epiloque: Dear cruise lines: stop nickle and diming your customers!

I also try to buy some local wines or liquor at every port we stop at then bring them back onboard with me for afternoon cocktails in our room. I have never even had anyone say anything about it - surely they see it when it goes through the scanner. I don't think it would be appropriate to bring them out into the common areas, though.

That may not work. I am not sure of the policies of other cruise lines, but RCI takes any alcohol you purchase at a port and holds it for you until the end of the cruise.

Archived