Smuggling liquor on board. How many people actually get away with it?

CatieLadie

My fiancé and I are taking our first cruise this October for our Honeymoon. I've heard horror stories from people who racked up quite the alcohol bill while on board. We're somewhat heavy drinkers so this is concerning. I have friends who recently cruised who were able to smuggle a few bottles of liquor on in their suitcases without issue.

How common is it to get away with this? It seems like everyone I've talked to recently who has cruised was able to get away with it.

I say if you can't afford your alcohol bill then either don't cruise or don't drink.

Why don't you smuggle booze onto a plane and see where that will land you.

Ron

PS Welcome to CC.

. We're somewhat heavy drinkers so this is concerning.

Well, I guess if you were a heavy drinker, you might have difficulty keeping track of all the receipts you get, so you could add them up daily and monitor your bar bill.

There are literally thousands of posts about smuggling alcohol on this site. Look up at the right hand corner and you'll see the "search" function. You can use this to pull these threads up and read for hours.

My fiancé and I are taking our first cruise this October for our Honeymoon. I've heard horror stories from people who racked up quite the alcohol bill while on board. We're somewhat heavy drinkers so this is concerning. I have friends who recently cruised who were able to smuggle a few bottles of liquor on in their suitcases without issue.

How common is it to get away with this? It seems like everyone I've talked to recently who has cruised was able to get away with it.

I don't think this subject has ever come up on CC:eek:

From what I have read, you probably have a good chance at being successful if you are smart about it. Having said that, this topic will no doubt bring out the teatotalling moral minority to tell you how it is morally wrong to smuggle booze, or they may try to tell you that the ship will kick you off for smuggling. Others will say that it is smugglers that are responsible for cruise rate increases, and some may even try to convince you that it is illeagel and that you are stealing from the cruise line by bringing your own booze. And then there are the derogatory comments that will tell you how much of a cheap skate you are for not paying eight dollars for a beer, or how if you can't afford the bar bill, maybe cruising is not for you. I think that pretty much sums up the comments I have read on this topic.

These comments should be taken as people attempting to impose their own will upon others, and really are B.S. IMHO

Hope you enjoy your cruise, good luck with your endeavor

Cheers

Ron

PS Welcome to CC.

The difference is of course that on a plane you are breaking the law and can be subjected to punishment, on a ship you are only breaking the rules and may loose your stash. :cool:

Smuggling liquor onto a ship is pretty much a cat and mouse game between cruisers and cruise lines. If you get caught, they will take it for the time you are on board and return it to you the last night. Drink fast!:eek::eek::eek: If you don’t get caught, you will end up doing most of your drinking in your cabin, or you’ll be constantly returning to mix another. I’ve heard many say that they end up spending more drinking on the ship because they get “in the mood” after a couple in their cabin, then the party really starts. On a recent Princess cruise, at St Thomas, I had a security staff member ask us after the x-ray was done “if that was wine?” in my bag and that was it. Didn’t care to even look to see if it was or not. I had a bottle of Scotch and a bottle of Vodka in it.

By smuggling alcohol onto the ship you are probably abusing their policies/rules but are hardly breaking any laws. It becomes more an ethical dilemma for the individual. I budget $1,000 for alcohol for the two of us for a 7 day cruise. If I decide to bring on a bottle, or two, to enjoy a drink while getting ready for supper, I am not cutting into too many profits. The $1G still gets spent.

It is a crap shoot. I have a brother in law who has taken many a bottle along. Last cruise he got nabbed and lost all of it.

I say if you can't afford your alcohol bill then either don't cruise or don't drink.

Ron

PS Welcome to CC.

I take booze on a plane everytime we fly. Just pack the little bottles and put them in a zip lock.TSA looks at it and does not say a word.

I take booze on a plane everytime we fly. Just pack the little bottles and put them in a zip lock.TSA looks at it and does not say a word.

Amen to that....... Dad died in plane crash... I am a BAD flyer....... I take 3... 1 zanex and a drink at airport.. Discression works...

I don't think this subject has ever come up on CC:eek:

Oh I'm sorry, I thought this was a first time cruiser board. This is literally my first day on this forum but thanks for the warm welcome. *rolls eyes*

Ron

PS Welcome to CC.

That was a bit dramatic don't you think? We can certainly afford the bill but like most people, we're always looking for ways to save money.

@Everyone else: Thanks for the insight. I read today that NCL allows wine to be brought on board so that may solve our problem.

Oh I'm sorry, I thought this was a first time cruiser board. This is literally my first day on this forum but thanks for the warm welcome. *rolls eyes*

That was a bit dramatic don't you think? We can certainly afford the bill but like most people, we're always looking for ways to save money.

@Everyone else: Thanks for the insight. I read today that NCL allows wine to be brought on board so that may solve our problem.

Not if you are heavy drinkers as NCL only allows one bottle per person.

Carnival will sell you a bottle. They are a little more expensive than a local store is, but less than buying individual drinks.

Hope you enjoy your cruise, by the way. You must have thick skin on this forum as all the church goers that you saw at the beer store Saturday night will preach to you on Sunday..........Just sayin

I'm more than 7 months away from my first cruise, so I've been researching ports instead of alcohol but this is a good point. I've heard of those rum runner things, if you fill them and pack them in your checked luggage is that breaking the law? I never really thought of that!

I'm more than 7 months away from my first cruise, so I've been researching ports instead of alcohol but this is a good point. I've heard of those rum runner things, if you fill them and pack them in your checked luggage is that breaking the law? I never really thought of that!

Frm the TSA website:

Carrying Alcohol In Your Checked Baggage

Please note, you can’t take alcoholic beverages with more than 70% alcohol content (140 proof), including 95% grain alcohol and 150 proof rum, in your checked luggage.

You may take up to five liters of alcohol with alcohol content between 24% and 70% per person as checked luggage if it’s packaged in a sealable bottle or flask.

Alcoholic beverages with less than 24% alcohol content are not subject to hazardous materials regulations.

I would be very carefull how it's packed.

One thing to note: If you use a "rumrunner' and they find it, you will lose the rumrunner and the contents. If you pack a sealed bottle, it will be returned to you after the cruise.

CatieLadie,

I had posted earlier and thought I was done, but another post brought me back.

You are a first time cruiser and I am personally sorry you got some of the replies you did when asking a simple question. One I might add, that gets a lot of attention.

Don't let it wear you down. There is a lot of good information here and don't be afraid to ask. As far as the booze goes, it is indeed a gamble and one where the odds are in your favor. As with anything like this, you do stand the chance of getting it pulled. I do buy beer and drinks on board a great deal, but a little in the room helps keep the bills down. After all, you are on vacation and tipping a few back is part of the vacation for many.

Take care and have a great cruise. If you like it, and likely you will, you'll be planning the next before you get off the first.

Just up 87,

Matt

Not the carry on baggage. A porter takes the checked luggage at the pier and it is, later, delivered to your room. With rare exceptions you will not have any problem. There will be a "set up" in your cabin (glasses, refer. fresh ice, etc.)

Not the carry on baggage. A porter takes the checked luggage at the pier and it is, later, delivered to your room. With rare exceptions you will not have any problem. There will be a "set up" in your cabin (glasses, refer. fresh ice, etc.)

With the exception of DCL which you'll just carry them on.

To the OP..

Here are a few suggestions..

Carry some of the "Mini's" in your checked luggage.. We do, about 20 total in with the toiletries..

Also you might want to call guest services for a bar set up in your cabin.. You can order bottles of your choice of booze, Quarts, and have them delivered to your cabin. All legal and no smuggling involved.. Key word here is CALL guest services as this will not be posted in the stuff you can pre-buy.

rum runners...do a search and read how others have packed them...makes a difference sometimes

our friends on our last cruise used different types of vitamin water bottles etc and got thru...we used rum runners we were on the NCL STAR out of San Pedro...

we put in our checked luggage.

i think more people do smuggle liquor that dont admit to it..i certainly have been surprised on our cruises...our last cruise was the first time we did!

When we sail Disney I brind a small carryon suitcase with wheels on it and pack 1 1/2 to 2 cases of my favorite Miller lites and some bottled water....it's kind of funny, when you are at the security check in there are sighns that say "no alcohol or firrearms allowed beyond this point". I was a little nervouse the first time but always went right thru the scanner. We met up with a couple on our RCCL sailing last month and they filled 64 oz water bottles vith vodka and rum and just carried it right on.

To the OP..

Here are a few suggestions..

Carry some of the "Mini's" in your checked luggage.. We do, about 20 total in with the toiletries..

Also you might want to call guest services for a bar set up in your cabin.. You can order bottles of your choice of booze, Quarts, and have them delivered to your cabin. All legal and no smuggling involved.. Key word here is CALL guest services as this will not be posted in the stuff you can pre-buy.

My hubby is a beer drinker - we are cruising on Carnival next week. Will guest services arrange for beer in our cabin?

Archived