Smuggling liquor on board. How many people actually get away with it?

CatieLadie

Based on that logic, if I were a non drinker, cruise rate increases would be my fault? The cruise lines are making a pretty profit as it is, they would not be in business if they were not.

Every business needs to make a profit.

Consider if everyone brought their own booze, and let's say it is the Allure or the Oasis. 5,000 people not providing the drinking profits of say conservatively $10 a day. That is a loss of $50,000 a day.

You think that RCI would not need to make this revenue up elsewhere?

Basic business economics. Whatever the case, the cruise ship needs to make a profit. And they will. Maybe just charge more per person up front.

If I heard the show Cruise inc Big Money on the high seas correctly- Norwegian Pearl had to make roughly $8 per day per passenger to break even.

I feel real confident in saying, even those that bring alcohol on board, contribute AT LEAST $8 per day per passenger.

I say if you can't afford your alcohol bill then either don't cruise or don't drink.

Why don't you smuggle booze onto a plane and see where that will land you.

Ron

PS Welcome to CC.

I TAKE small bottles of booze on the plane, in my quart sized ziploc. I will NOT pay $6.00 for those little bottles. I certainly don't flaunt that I have brought my own on. Call me cheap - doesn't bother me.

If I couldn't bring them on, then I just wouldn't drink while flying.

Not if you are heavy drinkers as NCL only allows one bottle per person.

Wrong oh so wrong !!!

Ncl could care less how many bottles of wine you bring on board , just as long as you pay the $15 per bottle corkage fee regardless of size , 750 or 1.5 litre bottles. Just no boxed wine. Soda , juice , water are allowed. Beer , coolers , and alcohol will get you a free ticket to the naughty room.

cheers...the Ump...:D

I have a 100% success rate. The key is moderation. If you try to bring a whole bar, you're going to be caught. If you bring a couple minis and rum runners tucked here and there, you'll likely slide right through.

For the Royal Carribean beer drinkers (like my husband), note that Johnny Rockets sells draft beer in a cup slightly larger than those at the other bars . . . for a slightly smaller price.

Great tip Mrs Pete, its tips like this one that really makes my day. Needless to say there will be a few beers had in J.Rs in three weeks time. lol.;)

If you plan on smuggling booze use thick plastic bags or towels to cover it. Don’t place all of it in one suite case. Take containers with you. That way you can have juice as a spirit throughout the day, they only have it in the morning for breakfast. You can never go wrong with Rum and Vodka. EVERYONE DOES IT!!!! I think it become more of a game to see who can and who can’t.

I was trying to just bring carryon's, (I'm paranoid of someone stealing stuff, or adding stuff to my bag)... but I might need to reconsider as I do plan on bringing some 'spirits' with me :)

With carry-ons you run a very high risk of having your spirits convescated....much less so with checked luggage. Maybe you want to buy some of the TSA approved locks for your checked luggage but even at that do not pack anything of value in checked luggage.

Do RCI security stop you from bringing opened bottles of water on board after days off the ship, even though it wouldn't be water in the bottle if you know what i mean;);)

Depends on the port, but most will check the contents or just make you pour it out before boarding.

I'm going to bet that at least 75% of people who bring on their own alcohol still purchase the majority of their drinks on the ship - the other 25% will still purchase more drinks from the cruise line than nondrinkers.

We didn't bring our own onto the ship but we did order two 40 ounce bottles from the cruiseline for our cabin. My DH drank all of his (mostly in the cabin/balcony) and I ended up taking my bottle home 1/2 full, but I drank lots of drinks that were bought at the bars. Whenever we left the room to go to the pool or sit on the sun deck we filled our mugs, but bought from the bars once they were empty since we had no desire to run back and forth from our room to get drinks. We would sit out on the balcony before dinner or in when leaving ports with drinks we made ourselves instead of running back and forth to the bar. I'm sure that's also what the majority of people do when they bring their own onto the ship. The cruise line might lose a small portion of their profit, but not an outrageous amount (and no where near as much as they lose from a nondrinker :p).

We went on our first cruise a couple of weeks ago (carnival miracle) and whilst in St Thomas bought 2 x 1ltr bottles of vodka. Thought we'd give it a go and try to get 1 of them on board, put it into my rucksack, nothing much else in it, camera/phone/purse and put the other one separately through the scanner. No problems whatsoever, got it through without a peep. I don't actually think they bother if you are only taking 1 item on board. We were really surprised that nobody said a word to us

• 4 weeks later...

Not a teetotaller, and certainly no moral authority. If it's that important to you, knock yourself out.

But I don't understand why you would want to cruise if you can't afford to do the things you want to do (like drinking, or [enter activity here]).

Is it really worth it to break the rules??

Ok i'm a first timer and I'ved seen on YouTube on ways of smuggling alcohol....I'm too scared to try it because I don't know what the consequenses will be....you can take wine on a cruise which is something that I'm planning on doing...yeah there is a corking fee, but it's cheaper than buying booze...so don't do it and budget for drinks..:cool:

We were on the Allure of the seas in September and my husband,against my wishes, put a bottle of expensive duty free liquer in one of the suitcases.Guess what happened!!The suitcase didn't come to the room and he was sent where people that had tried the same thing.He was asked to take it out and would be returned at the end of the cruise.THe very expensive bottle went missing,they didn't have any record of it.He won;t be doing that again...........

Ok i'm a first timer and I'ved seen on YouTube on ways of smuggling alcohol....I'm too scared to try it because I don't know what the consequenses will be....you can take wine on a cruise which is something that I'm planning on doing...yeah there is a corking fee, but it's cheaper than buying booze...so don't do it and budget for drinks..:cool:

The consequences of smuggling n getting caught are... If u place an unopened bottle in your bag n it's found... They take it n return it to u the last night of the cruise. Smuggling in a rum runner or other non origional bottle n your bought...they take said container n dispose of it. Nothing else... Other than some shame of getting caught

I had maple syrup in a bottle in my checked luggage that I was bringing onboard to give as a gift at a meet and greet that we had planned. My luggage did not arrive at my cabin and instead a note that I was invited to the "naughty room"!

I had quite a time convincing them that it really was maple syrup and not booze!!

They didn't detect the rum runners in dh's luggage however!!!

I had maple syrup in a bottle in my checked luggage that I was bringing onboard to give as a gift at a meet and greet that we had planned. My luggage did not arrive at my cabin and instead a note that I was invited to the "naughty room"!

I had quite a time convincing them that it really was maple syrup and not booze!!

They didn't detect the rum runners in dh's luggage however!!!

Nice head fake

We brought on Monsters on NCL last year and got sent to the "Naughty Room" for it. DH had to convince them they were energy drinks and not alcohol. However, they didn't stop us from bringing rum back from Nassau. Waltzed right on with it and we were prepared to surrender it.

I wonder whether the people who are the most vocal against bringing (notice I didn't say smuggling) your own booze on to a ship are actually share holders in the cruise lines. Why else would they care if you want to bring your own. $$

Probably not. They are the booze police whose job is to shame the rest of us in not bringing it aboard!

8 years of successful smuggling!

Archived