Smuggling liquor on board. How many people actually get away with it?

CatieLadie

I've heard some say it is easier to smuggle in a "checked" bag than a carry on. Can someone explain this? If I'm using a Rum Runner or something similar, why would it be more detectable by carry on Xray than checked bag Xray?

Also - some have posted about those fake bottle caps that you put on water bottles to make them look factory sealed. Does anyone have experience with both that kind vs. a Rum Runner? Just wondering why one might be better than another.

Last question - if I have a bottle of water in my hand that is open (I'm drinking from it) - will they stop me from bringing that on board either during embarkation or when re-boarding at a port?

Thanks!

-Cruisin' Dragon

59 days and counting

I have taken at least 2 1.5 L bottles of Gin on every cruise I have been on. I usually take a box of wine also. I have never had anything confiscated. Granted I usually cruise on Princess who are more lax than others but I had no problems on a Carnival cruise last year.

It is not hard at all, between my spouse and I we took 120 ounces of liquor (almost a gallon) on board the Norwegian Star last week. In fact we had so much booze that we had half of it left, and had to smuggle it back into the country.

What we found really interesting was every person we met on the bus to an excursion was exchanging ideas about how they brought their booze on board. Every single person on the bus, and that was 14 people had smuggled booze on the cruise.

I figure it is better for the cruise lines to separate the cost of the alcohol out of the passage fare. For those who drink very little, a pro-rated fare that included drinks for everyone, would wind up subsidizing the heavy drinkers.

If drinks are included in your fare then you are paying for someone else's imbibing or they are paying for yours... Trust me, you DO NOT want to be sailing with my in laws if the drinks are included >; -)>

What seems annoying to me is the high cost of drinks I have heard about. Are they really that high on board?

I haven't cruised for a few years but from what I can remember the prices to me didn't seem to bad compared to going out and ordering drinks as a restaurant or some bars. That of course could be reflected from the high costs of booze in general here in the State. I know I've gone to other states and been in awh on how low a bottle costs compared to here. I would imagine in those states where liquor isn't so bad in general the drinks in bars and restaurants would fall within that same line. If thats the case I'd say perhaps I'm lucky to not have that sticker shock of drinks on the ship :D

I've never done it but cruised 5 years ago or so with a couple of friends and they "smuggled" in a few bottles of vodka. We had pre-dinner drinks on their balcony with that vodka.

I just budget for what I will drink and tend to budget on the high side so I don't think about it when I'm cruising.

I figure it is better for the cruise lines to separate the cost of the alcohol out of the passage fare. For those who drink very little, a pro-rated fare that included drinks for everyone, would wind up subsidizing the heavy drinkers.

If drinks are included in your fare then you are paying for someone else's imbibing or they are paying for yours... Trust me, you DO NOT want to be sailing with my in laws if the drinks are included >; -)>

What seems annoying to me is the high cost of drinks I have heard about. Are they really that high on board?

I cruise Princess and I find their drink prices really good. I did see a recent post and they may have gone up but typically I can get a mixed drink, lovely martini, etc for $7.75 including tip. I can't do that very often here in Southern California.

Amen to that Paul - completely agree. Was stunned by those wearing baseball caps, shorts, sleeveless T-shirts, and sandals to dinner (after 5 pm) when there is a posted dress code that doesn't allow any of these articles. And some of those towels than languished on their chairs for the afternoon, uninterrupted, must have received a fabulous tan - can't speak for the owners of the towels since they were completely unseen.

So...when the cruise line starts getting serious about these issues, I might begin to take their alcohol policies seriously.

Archived