Slightly odd door decoration question

adira

I keep reading about the door decorations and the doors of the cabins seem to be metal, so that you can decorate with magnets.

Well, my dh and I are teachers, and we have more Expo dry erase markers than we know what to do with.

Here is my strange question: Is it possible to "decorate" our door with a dry erase marker, allowing us to personalize our space (we do plan to drink, and the consensus seems to be that door decorations make finding your cabin much easier) with a minimum of fuss and the ability to change the "decorations" at will?

Thanks for your responses!

I just don't understand why people feel a need to decorate their cabin doors and subject others to their "taste" in decor. If you have a problem finding your cabin after a night of drinking memorize your cabin number or pin it to your shirt.

This may be the reason why some feel Carnival is the Walmart of the Seas. You wouldn't see this nonsense on Celebrity. I like Carnival...I don't like being assaulted by these so-called decorations on doors as I'm walking down the hall.

I just don't understand why people feel a need to decorate their cabin doors and subject others to their "taste" in decor. If you have a problem finding your cabin after a night of drinking memorize your cabin number or pin it to your shirt.

This may be the reason why some feel Carnival is the Walmart of the Seas. You wouldn't see this nonsense on Celebrity. I like Carnival...I don't like being assaulted by these so-called decorations on doors as I'm walking down the hall.[/Q

hahahaha your nuts its their door let them decorate it how they want...and someone who has actually been assaulted by something or someone might take offense to your statement....:eek: guess what if you dont like it turn your head the other direction when you walk by. To the OP Im not sure that the markers would come off the doors very easily but you can very easily tape or otherwise attach a white board or some other surface to the outside of the door...:D Happy decorating:D I will be doing something with our door seeing as this is our DD and DS first cruise.:D

This may be the reason why some feel Carnival is the Walmart of the Seas. You wouldn't see this nonsense on Celebrity. I like Carnival...I don't like being assaulted by these so-called decorations on doors as I'm walking down the hall.

.....did you ever think that some people might find you odd NOT decorating your door?

What the hell difference does it make if someone decorates their door? Isn't the idea of a cruise to have fun? And if it makes it easier to find someone's cabin by doing it, be glad they did it and are not banging on your cabin door at 3 AM.

And how exactly were you assaulted by the decorations? Did someone tape paper knives to their door and you got scared?

Relax, it's a cruise.

:cool:

wasiii

Sorry, but you can't/shouldn't write on the doors. The last cruise we, family of 4, had a small white board I quartered off for each of us. I had brought somepremade magnets with various locations on the ship. When we were out of cabin, we could put the magnets to where we were, or write it in. There was also space to leave written notes. We also had various cruise related decorations on the dor FOR FUN! If some don't like it, or think it stupid, then thats their problem.

The inlaws just did a 60th anniversary cruise, and I made a door hanging with their wedding picture, a recent picture, the last family cruise photo, along with pictures of their children and grandchildren.

I have also seen full length palm trees, family crests. Decorations with pictures of port calls, past cruise ships, and cruise pictures.

I usually use the 3M hanger tabs that are removeable. Also bring some alcohol pads t clean stick off door if necessary.

Remember, have FUN, it's YOUR cruise. Decorate your door how you want.

I just don't understand why people feel a need to decorate their cabin doors and subject others to their "taste" in decor.

We do it just to irritate some of the passengers......:D

I don't like being assaulted by these so-called decorations on doors as I'm walking down the hall.

Really? Assaulted???

(sigh, roll eyes, shrug shoulders.......)

I think most of the door decorations come across as something a 14 YO girl would do. All one needs is a picture of Justin Bieber to complete the look.

That being said, if people want to turn their door into a amateurish craft project, go ahead! I'll try and contain my laugher till I'm past the door....AFA dry markers, leave them home. IIRC some of the doors are slightly textured, I doubt one could truly clean it properly.

See you on Lido deck!

When my husband graduated with his doctorate we took a 4 generation family cruise, and put a "Happy Graduation Doctor X" poster up on the door. You wouldn't believe it but no less than 100 passengers signed that thing! It was a wonderful thing.

I kind of like seeing the creativity. It certainly doesn't "assault" my senses. :eek:

We always decorate our doors.....it's fun....and easy for the kids to run down the hall and find the room quickly. (Well.....not run down the hall.....I'm sure I'll get yelled at for having my child run down the hall.)

.....and now the kids are 26 and 18.....and we still decorate. We've had Hawaiian grass skirts over the door to walk through, easy to remove stickers, Easter Bunny things, St. Patrick's day decorations, BOYS ROOM and GIRLS ROOM decorations........

It's just fun!!!!

Another day, another person takes exaggerated offense to something that hurts nobody and makes someone else's vacation a lot more fun. Aya!

A to the MEN!

If i had to stop doing everything that offends some folks on cruises, i'd have to wrap myself in bubblewrap, stay hidden in the cabin and not move for fear one of the bubbles might pop and make noise!

As for the OP, dry erase markers would be absolutely a No-No to use. Unless you've got a dry erase board on the door! Dry erase markers are only effective on mirrors, glass and...dry erase boards :) Putting them on a painted surface would turn them into permanent markers.

We decorate our door with magnets, posters, sticky notes and those clingy reusable window sticker thingies.

Yes please don't use dry erase markers on the actual door. However you can normally find a big magnetic dry erase board (check Walmart) & put that up on your door!

I just bought a smaller magetic dry erase board to put up on our door. Also ordered some paper bells to hang from the top of our door (it will be our 10th wedding anniversary!!).

Here is my strange question: Is it possible to "decorate" our door with a dry erase marker, allowing us to personalize our space

It's possible I suppose, but definitely not a good idea in my opinion.....

Thanks for the responses. I was thinking that since the doors are metal, the paint might be "dry-erasable." However, if there is a texture, you are right that the marker probably wouldn't come off. You would be surprised, however, at how many surfaces you can write on with dry erase markers and fully erase the mark (sometimes we run out of board space and may or may not write on the walls).

My dh would likely roll his eyes at me if I were to get all gung-ho decorating our door, but now that I see some of the "why in the world would you EVER do that" it kind of makes me want to, and add in some teeny-bopper pin-up pics while I'm at it! :D

I would have signed the congrats to the new Dr. poster, as well! That's a tough, tough road!

Il...I don't like being assaulted by these so-called decorations on doors as I'm walking down the hall...

We're planning on adding tasers that tase people as they walk by as well as a rope that will serve as a surprise clothesline. Considering, CONSIDERING a laser light show as well.

I want to thank everyone who does decorate their door. It makes it easier to find my door.

One cruise there were 3 red balloons taped to a neighboring door. Midcruise the balloons were taken down. Next day the balloons were up again. Turns out everyone jokingly complained that they were gone. Everyone in the hallway were using the balloons as a marker. :p

We sailed last Halloween and there were lots and lots of cabin door decorations. Most were Halloween themed and some were a combination of personal decoration and Halloween. It was a lot of fun to walk the hallways and see everyone's creativness. We did a cardboard cut-out of a live perserver and covered it with red-white and blue construction paper. We then wrote the ship's name and the date of our cruise on the upper and lower half and pasted a picture of the two of us in the middle. I went to the craft store and bought some very small, lightweight rope and threaded it around the life preserver. It turned out really good and IMO didn't look tacky at all.

Just wanted to mention that we used ticky-tacky to put up our decoration but the folks next door used scotch tape and the room steward took theirs down as tape is frowned upon. We gave them some of our ticky-tacky so they could reapply their Halloween things. I would also think that the Room Stewards would totally freak-out if they saw marker messages on the door. They may not realize that it is erasable and that could cause some commotion. Some folks attached a small marker board to their door. That may be an option. JMHO.

Still trying to figure out how someone could be "assaulted" by door decorations?

Are they trained to tackle people? Or do they spray something on people walking by?

I don't understand.

Why do some people cruise if they are so clearly not "people" people?

Archived