Rotterdam Secret Civilizations

Rutland Gate

The Trip: 30 days to Central and South America. April 16, 2011 to May 17, 2011: The Secret Civilization Cruise.

The Ship: The Rotterdam is perfectly maintained. Constant painting and polishing. Our Deluxe Cabin was without flaw.

The Passengers: Average age in the low 70's. Few children but all from four or five fine families. The general passenger population was about 50% overweight, with another 7% in the Harpoon Class. Ten to fifteen percent invalid. One "Bright Star" incident. Dress during the day slovenly. Dress at night varied from slovenly (20%) to well turned out (60%) with the rest in-between. Voiced viewpoints ranged from superior Canadians ("George Bush was the worst President You People ever had!") to old, silent World War II Veterans, and friendly, animated Europeans. Nationality ranged from US (majority), Canadian (next in line), Dutch and other EU people and Australians, who lined up at the Front Office on the first day to cancel their automatic tips. Jim and Ruth had the cabin next to us. We had not seen each other for 43 years. We served in the same Artillery Unit during the Vietnam War - small world. They both look great.

The Service: Food was the best in years on Holland America Line. Fresh, varied, and the smallest items done right. The Pinnacle Grill was excellent.

The Crew: Classic, smiling Holland America Line Crew at all levels. They praised HAL on how well they are treated (daily recreational events and tours), and more and more are long service employees.

The Ports: Varied and always interesting with excellent Port Lectures and Tours.

We had a great time!

I enjoyed your refreshingly honest review. "Harpoon class"...I love it! Prepare to be flamed though...

I was thinking "Harpoon Class" was a type of submarine, then I got it!

I'll be using that one, with your permission.....:D

Wonder what catagory your fellow passengers would put YOU in !!

As for Rutland Gate and myself, I think the ladies would class us as "Hunks" and the men would just look at us with envy.

After all I am 6 foot 4, 230 pounds full head of to die for hair, with a smile that makes the Colgate people look dull.

At least that's how I look from behind the keyboard on the internet:p

Your review gave me a chuckle. I was on this wonderful cruise too, and you were pretty on target. Really excellent service -- the best I've had on any cruise. I'd never seen so many smiling, friendly people when I wandered the decks at 4 am (the time-changes played with my head!)

Funny you mentioned that about the Australians -- we were on a trivia team with an Australian couple, and they were grumpy about tipping. I didn't realize it wasn't a part of their culture.

What was the "Bright Star" incident?

:)I, too, was on the Secret Civilizations cruise for the full 30 days. I have nothing but good things to say about the ship AND the wonderful crew. I am considering sailing her transatlantic to Rotterdam next April, I enjoyed her so much. (I'm not sure that I'm in "harpoon" class, but I did weigh myself when I returned home. Oh, my! I have three weeks to lose the excess before attending a wedding in three weeks.)

The Trip: 30 days to Central and South America. April 16, 2011 to May 17, 2011: The Secret Civilization Cruise.

The Ship: The Rotterdam is perfectly maintained. Constant painting and polishing. Our Deluxe Cabin was without flaw.

The Passengers: Average age in the low 70's. Few children but all from four or five fine families. The general passenger population was about 50% overweight, with another 7% in the Harpoon Class. Ten to fifteen percent invalid. One "Bright Star" incident. Dress during the day slovenly. Dress at night varied from slovenly (20%) to well turned out (60%) with the rest in-between. Voiced viewpoints ranged from superior Canadians ("George Bush was the worst President You People ever had!") to old, silent World War II Veterans, and friendly, animated Europeans. Nationality ranged from US (majority), Canadian (next in line), Dutch and other EU people and Australians, who lined up at the Front Office on the first day to cancel their automatic tips. Jim and Ruth had the cabin next to us. We had not seen each other for 43 years. We served in the same Artillery Unit during the Vietnam War - small world. They both look great.

The Service: Food was the best in years on Holland America Line. Fresh, varied, and the smallest items done right. The Pinnacle Grill was excellent.

The Crew: Classic, smiling Holland America Line Crew at all levels. They praised HAL on how well they are treated (daily recreational events and tours), and more and more are long service employees.

The Ports: Varied and always interesting with excellent Port Lectures and Tours.

We had a great time!

I was on for the first leg (Port Everglades>Lima) and generally agree with this review. IMO the food was excellent, however the menu's were not that great, No traditional Escargot or Lobster (Only Lobster Thermadore & Escargot in a puff pastry) and the la Cirque steak I had was extremely tough and not worth the money, however the standard Pinnacle Grill was well worth the $20.

The entertainment IMO was the worst I have ever experienced on any cruise, the ship had only 2 Female dancers and 5 singers. Thank God for the DVD player & great library of DVD's. The only other thing that I did not like was that the Pool was extremely cloudy and not very appetizing to swim in.

Hamburg! I'm originally from West Falls, close to Hamburg. I love going to the Erie County Fair in August if I'm home visiting my parents.

WOW - from the looks of your upcoming cruise schedule -- you will be really busy on the high seas ! The Fair is great --- really doesn't change much over the years --- I miss the parade the Strates folks used to put on through the village when the train arrived but that was a long time ago. Hope you make it home this August.

We had a great time!

i always wondered what a high-schooler's view of hal would be. now i know. thanks!

Hi, I was on the cruise also. I loved having dinner with the two of you, Jim and Ruth, and the Hotel Manager in the Pinnacle. I loved the cruise. I think what really made this cruise, were the people on board.

Hope to sail with you again. I'll be on the world cruise in January.

Hi, I was on the cruise also. I loved having dinner with the two of you, Jim and Ruth, and the Hotel Manager in the Pinnacle. I loved the cruise. I think what really made this cruise, were the people on board.

Hope to sail with you again. I'll be on the world cruise in January.

Donna - Have a great World Cruise!

Ed and Sharon

WOW - from the looks of your upcoming cruise schedule -- you will be really busy on the high seas ! The Fair is great --- really doesn't change much over the years --- I miss the parade the Strates folks used to put on through the village when the train arrived but that was a long time ago. Hope you make it home this August.

This year is unusual...and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

I never get tired of the Fair, and Hamburg has the best of them all. I love walking through the midway at night (although I don't go on the rides). And I like the Grange, 4-H, and Historical Society buildings. To this day, whenever I smell peppers and onions I say that "it smells like the fair!". My parents are nearing 80 so when I'm home we always make a point to spend a day at the Fair. :)

My partner and I picked up the last half in Lima and have to say that we had a great time.

I hear from time to time board criticisms about the "older crowd" on board but for the life of me can't understand why people consider that a bad thing? We are in our early/mid 40's and met the nicest and most interesting people. Once everyone figured out we were guests and not the entertainment we were met with open arms and just wanted to take a moment and thank every nice person I met. My only real complaint is now that I am home there is no one to make me a cocktail or deliver my menu.

You weren't the entertainment? But you were so entertaining! :D

I think it's the crab factor. I'm in my 40s too and love HAL, but some of the older passengers can be a bit grumpy. There were more cranky passengers on this trip than I've encountered before on HAL. Within a couple of hours of boarding, I saw one older woman yelling at the front desk because the mini-fridge hadn't been stocked. Seriously -- a phone call would have taken care of that, but she had to go down and scream in person. And there was a man berating a server in the Lido restaurant because the silverware bundles didn't include spoons. Stuff like that. I suppose there are people like that on every cruise line, but there seems to be an abundance of them on HAL. Still, I prefer the cranky people to the drunks on other lines so I'll stick with HAL ;)

And yes, I did meet many wonderful older folks too who weren't in the slightest bit grumpy. Overall, a great cruise!

The Ship: The Rotterdam is perfectly maintained. Constant painting and polishing. Our Deluxe Cabin was without flaw...

...The Service: Food was the best in years on Holland America Line. Fresh, varied, and the smallest items done right. The Pinnacle Grill was excellent.

We had a great time!

Thanks for your timely review! "Timely" because we're looking at the Fall cruise and this does help. We're looking into going to Machu Picchu first and then picking up the cruise in Lima. Turns out floating home may be less expensive than flying home. Far more comfortable, that's for sure ;).

Thanks for your timely review! "Timely" because we're looking at the Fall cruise and this does help. We're looking into going to Machu Picchu first and then picking up the cruise in Lima. Turns out floating home may be less expensive than flying home. Far more comfortable, that's for sure ;).

Check into doing Machu Picchu on your own. The HAL tour was outrageously expensive and not very good (other than seeing Machu Picchu) -- the people who booked on their own saved a bundle and had a better time.

Archived