To Cove or...

jetsfan

Not to Cove.... I really love all the info you guys give on this board. I am surprising my DH with a cruise for Christmas, we will be cruising in 1/12. There are cove balconies free on the Dream, do I do it? We are balcony lovers and have had aft wraps, aft balconies, and extended ones. The idea of cruising a newer ship and a cove to boot sounds so incredible. Are there any big negs you can share to help me? Thanks in advance. I just love this board for all the good, bag, and even the ugly..lol

Not to Cove.... I really love all the info you guys give on this board. I am surprising my DH with a cruise for Christmas, we will be cruising in 1/12. There are cove balconies free on the Dream, do I do it? We are balcony lovers and have had aft wraps, aft balconies, and extended ones. The idea of cruising a newer ship and a cove to boot sounds so incredible. Are there any big negs you can share to help me? Thanks in advance. I just love this board for all the good, bag, and even the ugly..lol

We have had a balcony cabin on every cruise we've taken. On The Dream we had a cove balcony and found it to be the highlight of the entire ship for us. I suppose there may have been some who didn't like the cove balcony but I've never seen it on CC. It is difficult to explain the difference between a regular balcony versus cove- just try it and see what you think. We're booked on The Breeze for next year and naturally, picked a cove balcony!

I see that the cove balconies are under the galley and other busy areas. When we book a regular balcony I usually go between passenger decks. I know it may seem obvious but will the noise be really out of hand. We do not go to bed early. DH sleeps like the dead, myself not so much.. Are there any good pictures out there?

I see that the cove balconies are under the galley and other busy areas. When we book a regular balcony I usually go between passenger decks. I know it may seem obvious but will the noise be really out of hand. We do not go to bed early. DH sleeps like the dead, myself not so much.. Are there any good pictures out there?

We also didn't want to be under the galley. Try to get one under the dining room. It is carpeted and I think that would help with the noise. We chose one under the midship dining room. After all dinner is done before we go to sleep and the aft dining room is used for the breakfast. I hope we made the right decision. We have a long wait to find out since we don't cruise on the Breeze until April 2013.

Sharon

Another question, if you guys don't mind. I have read about sewage smells. Is it really the ship or as one poster said only in ports when they were doing ship maintenance? We really are easy going people, so unless the ship sinks, not much bothers us. One person said the cabin was a bit dark. Did any of you think this? I am about an hour away from booking, and I just want it to be great. We usually plan cruises together but I really want to do this for him. His mom died a month ago and although no cruise in the world can make that go away. I thought a cruise (after the first Holidays without her) would be some comfort.

Another question, if you guys don't mind. I have read about sewage smells. Is it really the ship or as one poster said only in ports when they were doing ship maintenance? We really are easy going people, so unless the ship sinks, not much bothers us. One person said the cabin was a bit dark. Did any of you think this? I am about an hour away from booking, and I just want it to be great. We usually plan cruises together but I really want to do this for him. His mom died a month ago and although no cruise in the world can make that go away. I thought a cruise (after the first Holidays without her) would be some comfort.

We only caught that smell a couple of times...very faint. Nothing that would send us running! Have fun, enjoy your cruise!!

We were in Cove balcony 2341 on the Dream and loved it!! No noise at all!! Would pick Cove over regular balcony any day!
For those who have done both, other than the price difference what are the advantages (and disadvantages) of a Cove balcony compared to a regular balcony?

TIA

We experienced a 'sewer' smell on the Dream -- and on the Legend, Miracle, Fascination, Glory. In all cases it was a fleeting smell, never constant and never in the same place on different days. I think it's just the nature of the beast, if you will.

I think it would be a great gesture for your husband.

For those who have done both, other than the price difference what are the advantages (and disadvantages) of a Cove balcony compared to a regular balcony?

TIA

We loved it because you were so close to the water! Very quiet and relaxing. Your neighbors can't peek into your balcony! ;)

TIA

I've been asking that same question and reading just about everything i could about cove balconies. So far, this is what i've found out.

Pros:

- closer to the water so it has more of an ocean voyage feel

- more private of a balcony. neighbours can't peek around partition

- great for people watching when in port or sealife watching

- one person mentioned it was easier to disembark at ports as you just merge into the line on deck 2. Don't know if they're technically supposed to or not, though.

- the sounds of the ocean are much louder which can be a good or bad thing depending on how much you like the sound of the ocean.

Cons:

- may feel more closed in as you don't have as big of a view (especially from inside the stateroom)

- cabins under the galley may hear noise from time to time.

- overhead lifeboats blocks view if trying to look up (but who really wants to look up?)

We also didn't want to be under the galley. Try to get one under the dining room. It is carpeted and I think that would help with the noise. We chose one under the midship dining room. After all dinner is done before we go to sleep and the aft dining room is used for the breakfast. I hope we made the right decision. We have a long wait to find out since we don't cruise on the Breeze until April 2013.

Sharon

oooooo smart thinking! i had heard to get the cabin under the dining room instead of the galley, but was still worried about breakfast noise. It hadn't occured to me that breakfast might only be served in the aft dining room!

I would love to try a cove balcony. Are they alot cheaper than a regular balcony and do all the ships have them?

Sorry about your husbands Mom passing. The cruise will be a very nice get away for you both. Take care.

Thank you for your kind thoughts. On the sailing I am interested in there are quite a few cove balconies left. I will have to look over the deck plans before I choose. The list of pros and cons were great. I would love to see a picture though..

What a wonderful surprise for your husband! DD and I are thinking we'll try a cove next year on the Dream. I love the idea of being so close to the water. We watched some videos on YouTube and they looked fantastic. I've been concerned about noise, so I'm pleased to hear it's not much of an issue. I'm definitely buying an FCC on our Spirit cruise next month and will likely book shortly after we return. :D:D

Google zydecocruiser for pictures...

here's the link to his cove pics. Enough to choke a horse on, but very educational :)

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/CarnivalDream/coveDummies.htm

I forgot to add one more CON.. *IF* there is inclement weather, they might shut your balcony door off with a waterproof steel door. This means that during the inclement weather, you can't use your balcony BUT you can still watch that wild weather from your big window. The upside to this...if the weather is bad enough that they require closing your balcony door, odds are, you won't want to be out on your balcony anyway (cove or regular balcony).

Archived