At Stingray city:Can we stay on boat and watch?

sassy_mrsjay

I don't see why not. I was the only one who wanted to go see the stingrays in my family and we took a jetski excursion out there. I didn't like being in the water with them. One of my teenage sons was really freaked out by the stingrays. We finally got him into the water with them but I think he would have been perfectly fine staying on the jetski without ever touching them. Neither one of us was having anything to do with feeding them. The other half of my family, who didn't want to go in the first place, was fine with it. They aren't really scary but they were bigger than I thought they would be for some reason and that freaked me out.

I still think it would be interesting for your daughter even if she stayed on the boat. There were plenty in the water to see.

That won't be a problem at all. Just the boat ride out to the sandbar alone is an amazing experience, GC has the most beautiful water I've ever seen. There will be plenty to see from the boat because the water is so crystal clear.

• 2 weeks later...

I am cruising with my son, nephew and sister. they are interested in going to the sandbar to get in the water with the stingrays. My question is, can I book the excursion but stay on the boat? I cannot go into the water. I have scars on the lower half of my legs and never wore shorts or capris until I recently discovered some awesome cover up makeup. I can now go out and be very comfortable in capris. I can't get my legs wet however or the cover up will come off. So, I would like to book one of Carnivals excursions that includes the sandbar and turtle farm that would allow me to stay on the boat.

Thanks for any input and help!!

I know this isn't really the response you want, nor is it answering your question, but my advice would be to forget about your appearance and just ENJOY YOURSELF! Get in the water and enjoy the experience. Your family accepts you for who you are and anybody who doesn't isn't worth your time. Besides, you'll likely never see any of them again after that cruise anyway!

We booked with Moby Dick Tours this last February and my husband stayed on the boat and took lots of pictures for me.

Just a side note: this was so much fun, I don't think I stopped laughing the whole time we were in the water. I would agree with the above poster and suggest that you might want to reconsider going into the water with the stingrays. Could you wear a pair of leggings or something that will cover your legs and make you a little more comfortable?

Anyways, regardless of your decision about the water it is a worthwhile excursion even from the boat. My husband said he really enjoyed watching everyone's reactions.

I second the suggestion for Moby Dick - great service! :cool: You can stay in the boat and relax, observe or take photos on any of the stingray city tours - independent or through Carnival; no one will make you get into the water (but you're missing out on all of the fun! :D).

Have a great cruise! :)

I am cruising with my son, nephew and sister. they are interested in going to the sandbar to get in the water with the stingrays. My question is, can I book the excursion but stay on the boat? I cannot go into the water. I have scars on the lower half of my legs and never wore shorts or capris until I recently discovered some awesome cover up makeup. I can now go out and be very comfortable in capris. I can't get my legs wet however or the cover up will come off. So, I would like to book one of Carnivals excursions that includes the sandbar and turtle farm that would allow me to stay on the boat.

Thanks for any input and help!!

How about a full body dive skin? It covers the whole body, you can leave the top unzipped and just tie the sleeves around your waist. You'll look very "in" on the boat. Skins are very light weight nylon, so they aren't too hot - and you can just spray yourself with the hose on the deck!Just a thought . . I'd hate to see you miss playing with the rays if there's another option. They really are cool.

• 2 weeks later...

OP-

I was terrified of Sting Rays when I did this excursion in high school! However, the captain suggested that my boyfriend (now husband) give me a "piggy back ride" until I felt comfortable enough to stand by myself. It really worked! I was able to see the sting rays up close and participate, but since the water was only 4 ft. deep, none of them could really touch me. After a short time, I was able to relax and got down. It was such a cool adventure! Maybe you could do this for your daughter???

How close do you stay to the boat? I think this is something both my husband and I would like to do, but our 4 year old will probably be way too scared. Would he be fairly close to us if both of us got off to pet them, or can/should we take turns?

When you go into the water to see the stingrays, you will be right beside the boat. You can probably talk to your son at the same time. We used Moby Dick and one of the crew stayed on the boat the whole time.

Sassy--The 'rays tend to stay below the surface unless you hold out food near the surface to feed them, or if you lift one up to the surface with one arm under each of their "wings" Keep your arms away from the middle of the underside of the body where the mouth is, and keep the gills underwater so your 'ray can breathe while you admire each other (they have the most intelligent-looking eyes...). They were very curious and brushed by our legs (like a cat nudging for attention/food) as they glided by. Your 4-year old would do fine as a piggyback rider until/unless she decided to join the fun on the sandbar herself. She'd have a great view of the 'rays from Dad's/Mom's shoulders.

And Bilu, I hope you can find an acceptable and comfortable method of dealing with your legs. Actually, if you really wanted to play with the 'rays, I would just go on in, and have the fun time of your life, and the hell with anyone rude enough to stare or comment!:p Besides, the 'rays won't mind what your legs look like--only if you have squid to feed them, and _they_ are the ones who you are going there to be with.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have as much fun as I did with the velvety-soft critters. It's a "Bucket List" experience!:D

Check out some other threads about the stingrays for some do's and don'ts.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1400484&highlight=stingray

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1312960&highlight=stingray

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1259352&highlight=stingray

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1062439&highlight=stingray

Archived