Just off the Sensation. Only 1 issue, that cannot be fixed.

6 of us

Awesome cruise, loved it. This post would probably only matter to those who are not smokers.

We had a FABULOUS cabin, a port hole cabin at the very front of the boat, loved it. Then, after a few hours the 1st day, we popped back to the cabin for something & it smelled strong of smoke. The cabin steward was quick to tell us no one had smoked in or near the cabin, but the smoke was being pulled in by the a/c from decks above where people smoke. We were on the upper deck, so we had cabins above us, but apparently the way the air system was built, this cabin's a/c pulled from one of the decks. Well, we are not smokers, & frankly, I don't want to breath it or smell like it, it does stink & was getting stronger. Turned out, the only way to keep from smelling it was to keep the air off. Well you know how long that lasted with the heat & humidity. So Carnival had to keep bringing in an ionizer/ozone machine thing, to neutralize the smell. Unfortunately, we were locked out of our cabin while it was in use. It also left a very strong chemical kind of smell, in our clothes & everything. As usual though, Carnival showed their excellent customer service, they tried to help. They wanted to give us another cabin but the ship was full. They called us, came to see us, called us again. They showed proper concern, but this was a problem with the way they built this system so, there wasn't much they could do? I appreciate the efforts, tough problem for them to have.

So if you cruise on this ship, be aware of Cabin U2 if you happen to be a non-smoker :D.

Wow, I would hate that. We personally have never had a problem with a smoke smell in our room in any of our cruises. I am glad, as both dh and I are very sensitive to the smell of smoke. We do usually get a balcony. I think that helps to get some fresh air moving around the room. Plus, hopefully smokers who get balcony rooms do most of their smoking out in the balcony instead of the cabin.

I would have been pretty upset with the situation also.

claudia

I would imagine that even smokers do not want this kind of stench in their cabin (which is why so many of them smoke on the balcony and not in the cabin).

I would post this cabin under the "do not book this cabin" thread on this board.

Thanks for the heads up...glad you had a great time otherwise.

how odd. you would think the exhaust vent would go somewhere else before returning to a cabin. could a maintenance man validate this?

Only the room steward seemed to know right off, the 1st day when I smelled it, what was happening. Guest Services never let on that they knew what I was talking about, so I guess it hadn't been confirmed. That 1st day when I complained, the only words I got out of my mouth were, "excuse me, our cabin smells like smoke...". I was about to ask if the guests before us smoked in the cabin but the room steward interrupted me. He immediately knew why (a/c system). He also said, he smells it & doesn't like it. haha. House keeping manager came in right after a treatment & we had the a/c off all day also. She didn't smell it of course. Then another man came in to make sure our room steward did his "scheduled" ionizing treatment which was a couple times a day. They never sent maintenance though. Sort of wish they would give us a credit of some kind. It did interrupt our anniversary trip a bit. But, at the same time, it was nothing intentional.

Only the room steward seemed to know right off, the 1st day when I smelled it, what was happening. Guest Services never let on that they knew what I was talking about, so I guess it hadn't been confirmed. That 1st day when I complained, the only words I got out of my mouth were, "excuse me, our cabin smells like smoke...". I was about to ask if the guests before us smoked in the cabin but the room steward interrupted me. He immediately knew why (a/c system). He also said, he smells it & doesn't like it. haha. House keeping manager came in right after a treatment & we had the a/c off all day also. She didn't smell it of course. Then another man came in to make sure our room steward did his "scheduled" ionizing treatment which was a couple times a day. They never sent maintenance though. Sort of wish they would give us a credit of some kind. It did interrupt our anniversary trip a bit. But, at the same time, it was nothing intentional.

write a "nice" letter, written from the angle of informing them of a problem. couldn't hurt. past experience have gotten me 10 to 20 % toward my next cruise off my best price.

i quit smoking more than 20 years ago. i checked into a hotel once, a designated non smoking room, where the previous occupant had to have smoked. I just figured i'd get used to the smell. after an hour, it was just as bad. they moved me. i quite surprised myself as not being able to put up with it (never smoked in our cabin when we were smokers).

write a "nice" letter, written from the angle of informing them of a problem. couldn't hurt. past experience have gotten me 10 to 20 % toward my next cruise off my best price.

I wanted to let Carnival know, someone who has some authority in such a situation. Eventually, they will get someone who might throw a fit, & that room steward can't help it. He cleaned like a maniac & did a great job, but he isn't to blame. Can I call them, or email? :D Is there a specific department?

I wanted to let Carnival know, someone who has some authority in such a situation. Eventually, they will get someone who might throw a fit, & that room steward can't help it. He cleaned like a maniac & did a great job, but he isn't to blame. Can I call them, or email? :D Is there a specific department?

i just sent it snail mail to miami, att:guest services.

Interesting!!! We have never had this issue on the Sensation. Our only thing I've noticed is we can stay cool on Sensation (and Fantasy class). I complained on the Dream about my hot cabin and they came and looked at. Nothing wrong. (Interior so no I didn't leave a door open).

I am a smoker (sorry doesn't make me a bad person) and the whole 5 days we were on the Fascination, I smoked in the cabin maybe 10 times. Our neighbors complained, and they brought the ionization machine into our cabin, didn't smell any thing funny afterward, I think that maybe they were spraying something in your cabin like funky air spray to give it that bad smell and cover the smoke smell. When you are in a port hole, interior or any other type of cabin that has no window to open , when you smoke the air doesn't go anywhere but into the vents, so you really don't know if it was someone below you or above you, or next door. I enjoy my smoke with coffee, and since our phone was broken, and we never could order room service, we went upstairs and outside to smoke. At least you could call someone, our phone was never fixed.

I am a smoker (sorry doesn't make me a bad person) and the whole 5 days we were on the Fascination, I smoked in the cabin maybe 10 times. Our neighbors complained, and they brought the ionization machine into our cabin, didn't smell any thing funny afterward, I think that maybe they were spraying something in your cabin like funky air spray to give it that bad smell and cover the smoke smell. When you are in a port hole, interior or any other type of cabin that has no window to open , when you smoke the air doesn't go anywhere but into the vents, so you really don't know if it was someone below you or above you, or next door. I enjoy my smoke with coffee, and since our phone was broken, and we never could order room service, we went upstairs and outside to smoke. At least you could call someone, our phone was never fixed.

You knew that your neighbors were bothered by your habits yet you flagrantly continued? I bet your neighbors would have greatly appreciated you smoking up on deck, or on the balcony. Don't you understand that? Bad juju to you!!!

I've searched but cant find that thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=483344

I always to a search of just the number on this thread before booking a cabin I have not stayed in before.

A search of just the number brings up any posts related to that number and then you can just disregard any posts that are not for your specific ship.

You are definately NOT a bad person for smoking.

With the Fantasy class ships, some cabins have a connecting bath vent (like an upside down Y)...and smoke can come from one cabin into the next cabin through it....instead of going up the exhaust pipe.

One time the smoke was visibly coming out. The round center was designed to be able to close it...but they are so old now...I just stuffed a washcloth up in it.

If your neighbor does not have their A/C on full blast....the smoke can travel down the hallway and into the neighboring cabin.

It is just a matter of time before Carnival stops smoking in the cabins RCCL and others did years ago.

Awesome cruise, loved it. This post would probably only matter to those who are not smokers.

We had a FABULOUS cabin, a port hole cabin at the very front of the boat, loved it. Then, after a few hours the 1st day, we popped back to the cabin for something & it smelled strong of smoke. The cabin steward was quick to tell us no one had smoked in or near the cabin, but the smoke was being pulled in by the a/c from decks above where people smoke. We were on the upper deck, so we had cabins above us, but apparently the way the air system was built, this cabin's a/c pulled from one of the decks. Well, we are not smokers, & frankly, I don't want to breath it or smell like it, it does stink & was getting stronger. Turned out, the only way to keep from smelling it was to keep the air off. Well you know how long that lasted with the heat & humidity. So Carnival had to keep bringing in an ionizer/ozone machine thing, to neutralize the smell. Unfortunately, we were locked out of our cabin while it was in use. It also left a very strong chemical kind of smell, in our clothes & everything. As usual though, Carnival showed their excellent customer service, they tried to help. They wanted to give us another cabin but the ship was full. They called us, came to see us, called us again. They showed proper concern, but this was a problem with the way they built this system so, there wasn't much they could do? I appreciate the efforts, tough problem for them to have.

So if you cruise on this ship, be aware of Cabin U2 if you happen to be a non-smoker :D.

They should move the smoking area. If there's no better place to move it to then it should be moved outside.

Terrible.

Thanks for posting. I had a porthole cabin on main and had no problem with smells of any kind. As much as I would be upset with a smoke smell, I think the garlic and onion smell at 4 a.m. would be awful also.

actually, it would make me hungry, forcing me for a pizza run at 4:05 am.

Interesting!!! We have never had this issue on the Sensation. Our only thing I've noticed is we can stay cool on Sensation (and Fantasy class). I complained on the Dream about my hot cabin and they came and looked at. Nothing wrong. (Interior so no I didn't leave a door open).

I'm sailing Dream the last week in August in an interior and I'm worrying about heat so much so that I'm thinking of purchasing a fan when we land in Orlando and then leaving it at a goodwill or salvation army store before flying back. Did your air issue ever get resolved?

I called Carnival, talked to their guest services/reviews department. They said there is nothing they would do for me because smoking is allowed on the ship anyway, even though my problem was unique. They also insisted it had to be pulling in from another cabin, not a deck & sometimes guests will have smokers nearby & there is nothing they do for that. Oh well. I did ask them to warn others.

Archived