3 Cruises at the Same Wharf

Hi Guys :)

I found this interesting so I thought I'd share it :) I was talking to Fiona (Tassie Cruiser) and we realised that our cruises were leaving Auckland on the same day (29th December 2011) and that there was another ship as well. So I went and did some digging...

According to http://www.poal.co.nz/cruise_ships/cruise.asp

Diamond Princess, Pacific Pearl & Radiance of the Seas will all be at Princess Wharf on the same day :eek::D Excuse my ignorance, but are the Wharfs big enough/have enough facilities to accomodate 3 BIG cruise ships at once?? (I've only cruised out of Wharf 8 & Wharf 5 Sydney and I definately can't imagine 3 ships boarding from Wharf 5 at the same time:eek:)

On a side note, What are the chances of me "accidentally" boarding the wrong ship if I like the looks of the other ships more than the Pearl :p

Sam, one ship will use Princes Wharf, one will use Queen's Wharf and the other will probably use Captain Cook wharf.

The wharf you are leaving from should be on your cruise personaliser, and possibly, ticket. I'd ring or email P&O to see if they know yet.

I see the designated wharves are not on the Auckland cruise ship schedule yet.

According to http://www.poal.co.nz/cruise_ships/cruise.asp

Diamond Princess, Pacific Pearl & Radiance of the Seas will all be at Princess Wharf on the same day :eek::D Excuse my ignorance, but are the Wharfs big enough/have enough facilities to accomodate 3 BIG cruise ships at once?? (I've only cruised out of Wharf 8 & Wharf 5 Sydney and I definately can't imagine 3 ships boarding from Wharf 5 at the same time:eek:)

No, 3 ships cannot fit at Princess Wharf!.

On a side note, What are the chances of me "accidentally" boarding the wrong ship if I like the looks of the other ships more than the Pearl :p

Not a very good chance sharri34, I am afraid :(

one ship will use Princes Wharf, one will use Queen's Wharf and the other will probably use Captain Cook wharf.

It will be more like: Diamond Princess will be at Princes Wharf, Pacific Pearl could be at Queen's Wharf (But that depends if P&O or Princes got in first!).

And according to the Ports of Auckland website the Radiance of the Seas will be at Jellicoe Wharf (Which is the multi cargo wharf).

Going by history, when ships have been due at Captain Cook wharf, they have always gone to Jellicoe Wharf, (This happened once last season)

But I think they are just using Captain Cook wharf for the rugby world cup.

I see the designated wharves are not on the Auckland cruise ship schedule yet.

That normally means they are unsure where to put them or thing could change.

hi Sam,

I am on the Diamond with Fiona, and yes it will be a busy day in Auckland. The radiance is there for the day and the Pearl and Diamond will be both embarking. I don't think you will have a problem guessing which ship is yours, they all look quite different.:)

This picture was from our Sun Princess cruise last year (taken from the Sky Tower) The Diamond was in port also.

Deidre.

100_2652.jpg.25828522b0330316bd99afe754542860.jpg

They can handle 3, but they will all be at different wharves.

Jellicoe is the container wharf where QM2 docked.

Queens Wharf is the one they are planning to develop into the new purpose built terminal, and it will probably be designed to handle 2 cruise ships at once. One on either side. Its also being used as the base for the World Rugby Cup , and is presently having a huge Marquee erected. With any luck it will still be there for the cruise season.

Heres a pic I took of it under construction the other day.

Its been nicknamed..."The Slug":eek:

2830583930102786229S600x600Q85.jpg

Hi David,

It does look like a slug too! I wonder how it will stay clean and white. What is it made of, an outdoor fabric or alum/steel? Perhaps some of the locals will decorate it....you know chinese dragon-style. Looking for to seeing it.

Jen

Hi David,

It does look like a slug too! I wonder how it will stay clean and white. What is it made of, an outdoor fabric or alum/steel? Perhaps some of the locals will decorate it....you know Chinese dragon-style. Looking for to seeing it.

Jen

Hi Jen,

I don't know for sure what it is covered with, but I think its one of those outdoor fabrics. A sort of mixture of plastics and fabric. We have a few of them around Auckland and they seem to stay clean and white.

I think this one is translucent, so they can change the colour of it with different lighting effects.

I just trust its fire proof:eek:

T

Queens Wharf is the one they are planning to develop into the new purpose built terminal, and it will probably be designed to handle 2 cruise ships at once. One on either side. Its also being used as the base for the World Rugby Cup , and is presently having a huge Marquee erected. With any luck it will still be there for the cruise season.

Heres a pic I took of it under construction the other day.

Its been nicknamed..."The Slug":eek:

Aha, I wondered what that was when you posted the photo in another thread. It wasn't there last Feb, that's for sure. :D

Nice David. Perhaps they will do a light show on it, similar to the Opera House here. That is beautiful to see at night. You may have to picnic down at Devonport a couple of nights per week, when its up and running.

Jen

Always good to see Ports being expanded to accommodate more cruise vessels.

Just wish Queensland were more forward thinking with regard to both Brisbane Port and a future cruise terminal on the Gold Coast....grrrr:(

I wonder if our 'Mr Can Do' the current Lord Mayor of Brisbane who wants to be Queensalnd Premier would be interested in the value of cruise vessels and good facilities for those vessels in these ports.:rolleyes:

Jilly:)

Archived