Homeless in Seattle & Cigarettes

scanner55

Every time my husband took out a cigarette in Seattle, he was approached by a "homeless" person. One day we were sitting in the lobby of the hotel & watched 3 different people approach him within 5 minutes. None of them gave him any trouble...just left when he wouldn't give them money or a cigarette. We also found many people on the streets begging for money. There were police everywhere, but they didn't seem to care. I didn't feel threatened, but it was a bit of a nuisance & I wouldn't walk by myself after dark.I know we have laws against begging & I assumed that Seattle did too, but maybe not.

Every time my husband took out a cigarette in Seattle, he was approached by a "homeless" person. One day we were sitting in the lobby of the hotel & watched 3 different people approach him within 5 minutes. None of them gave him any trouble...just left when he wouldn't give them money or a cigarette. We also found many people on the streets begging for money. There were police everywhere, but they didn't seem to care. I didn't feel threatened, but it was a bit of a nuisance & I wouldn't walk by myself after dark.I know we have laws against begging & I assumed that Seattle did too, but maybe not.

So don't you have homeless people in New Orleans or do you keep them out of sight?

Viv

So don't you have homeless people in New Orleans or do you keep them out of sight?

Viv

Of course we have homeless, but they're not allowed to beg on the street. The police will take them to a shelter.

Nobody likes to see homelessness, but it's a sad fact of life everywhere. I'm not sure repression "police take them to a shelter" works well, but it does cleanup the landscape for a while. I try to be as patient as I can with beggars, we have a lot of them in southern France, but honestly sometimes they get on my nerves. I think when cruisers come to France they must be shocked to see begging here too, but yes, there's trouble even in paradise.

I have to agree with OP. We've spent the last two days being tourist in Seattle. I am very use to the homeless on the streets of South Florida. (Many migrate down to South Florida during the winter due to the warmer weather.) But, I was a little taken back with the number of homeless on the streets in Seattle. Our shuttle driver even mentioned it during our drive from the airport to the hotel. We were approached a few times, but normally just left alone.

On the plus side, I loved the Ambassadors that roamed looking for anyone that needed help with directions or information. They were clearly marked and we felt comfortable asking them a question.

Vancouver has homeless as well. The first I ever saw must have been almost 30 years ago was in Washington, DC, just 2 blocks from the capital building. You can't arrest anyone for being homeless, you can't keep them in shelters against their will and the courts have many more important cases to hear than panhandling cases. My experience is that you just give them a polite NO and they move on, we may not like it but it's part of the city scene.

Vancouver has homeless as well. The first I ever saw must have been almost 30 years ago was in Washington, DC, just 2 blocks from the capital building. You can't arrest anyone for being homeless, you can't keep them in shelters against their will and the courts have many more important cases to hear than panhandling cases. My experience is that you just give them a polite NO and they move on, we may not like it but it's part of the city scene.

What he said.

Being panhandled comes with the territory of being affluent enough to look like you can spare some change, or a cigarette. I have to say, if seeing homeless people, or simply being asked for a handout, makes you uncomfortable...well, that homeless person is probably having a considerably worse day than you are. Count your blessings.

Your husband took out a cigarette (I assume to smoke) in a lobby ? If he lit up, I'm surprised he wasn't stopped. Smoking is illegal in most public areas in Washington, including hotel lobbies.

Maybe I'm assuming...was he just holding it so he could get his fix the second he got outside :) ?

Of course we have homeless, but they're not allowed to beg on the street. The police will take them to a shelter.

My husband and I have been to both cities, New Orleans often. When we were in Seattle we were constantly approached by panhandlers, whatever one would chose to call them. It was a real nuisance. Being from California, we also noticed how many smokers stood around the doors of restaurants, hotels, etc. We were not concerned about safety though. In New Orleans I cannot remember ever being approached and being asked for anything. Did not notice clusters of smokers, but were absolutely concerned about walking anywhere that did not have lights and lots of people nearby. Our hotel concierge repeatedly reminded us when we left out hotel to keep our "heads up", pay attention to people around us and stay close to groups of people. He said if we noticed that two or three young men seemed to follow us, to duck into the nearest store, restaurant or bar and wait for awhile.

The city of Seattle had passed an aggresive panhandler with specific requirements where street people couldn't ask for $ ie: close to ATMS etc.

Our mayor vetoed that measure. I'd love you all to e mail the mayor. I'll send the e mail address. Check the next message for info

I don't think we have enough shelters in Vancouver to get rid of all the homeless, and if we did, more would come from colder places in Canada. I assume that Seattle is similar. Any efforts made to get them out of downtown just pushes them out to the suburbs.

I rarely see smokers in Vancouver, so I think that if you were to smoke near a homeless person here, you will get asked for a cigarette. Most of our panhandlers just sit with signs and aren't too aggressive. I just smile and move on if asked. I used to hand out sandwich cards or a coffee, but quite frankly, most don't want that. They just need money for a fix.

Viv

Here is the form to send to Seattle Mayor Mcginn

http://www.seattle.gov/mayor/citizen_response.htm

I wish the city listen to what visitors think of Seattle. To be fair there are a handful of streets where street people congregate and for much of downtown you will never see a street person. I don't want you to get the wrong impression of Seattle, or ever feel unsafe like some cities.

OP, I'm sort of at a loss as to why you posted this. *shrug* Don't most, if not all major cities have a homeless population? Haven't you seen this before? Not really sure what you were expecting, what you want us to know? It's not that the police don't care; it's simply that there are so many homeless and so few places for them to go. And as stated, many will not take the help offered. They prefer to be on the street. It's a lifestyle - a community, if you will. They stick together as family.

Frankly, I find the peddlers in Mexican ports far more aggressive and troublesome than any homeless person I have ever encountered.

There did seem to be quite a bit of homelessness in Seattle. There were several that got aggressive near the water front and in Pioneer Square during our trip. I would be very careful walking in these areas, especially after dark. One tip is that when the buses are free, many homeless on them. When you are in a pay bus or the monorail, virtually no homeless.

Jen in SoCal

Being from a small southern town, I can honestly say that I don't have a lot of experience with panhandlers, homeless or otherwise. I am glad the OP brought it up so I'm not surprised or defensive when we visit Seattle.

That being said ;) my thick accent will likely scare anyone off.

We recently returned from New York City and every time I stepped outside the hotel for a ciggie I was approached by at least 1 or 2 people wanting a cigarette. They didn't appear to be homeless and one was a tourist.

My daughter wanted me to stop smoking as she said I was attracting oddballs (they seemed fine to me and most were quite chatty too).

This would also happen wherever we stopped to rest our feet and I'd light up. I never felt threatened and, in fact, enjoyed some of the chats.

I rarely get asked for a cigarette in the Uk and they are more expensive here.

On the plus side, I loved the Ambassadors that roamed looking for anyone that needed help with directions or information. They were clearly marked and we felt comfortable asking them a question.

We were in Seattle last weekend and noticed the Ambassadors. Very nice.

As for smoking...Yeah, I suppose it's getting pretty difficult for the homeless to bum a smoke these days with only about 20% of folks in the US smoking. Used to be that over 40% smoked.

We were in Seattle last weekend and noticed the Ambassadors. Very nice.

As for smoking...Yeah, I suppose it's getting pretty difficult for the homeless to bum a smoke these days with only about 20% of folks in the US smoking. Used to be that over 40% smoked.

I've seen old fellows walking along in Kits outside pubs, picking up butts to makee new cigarettes. We also have a lot of recycling entrepreneurs in Vancouver who pick recycling out of garbage and turn it in for the deposit. The homeless around our place tend to be mentally ill and keep to themselves.

Viv

Frankly, I find the peddlers in Mexican ports far more aggressive and troublesome than any homeless person I have ever encountered.

Agree...I've never had a homeless person try to sell me a timeshare !!

One comment, especially to foreign visitors...don't give money to homeless people in US cities. Most will use it to buy drugs or liquor. If you want to help, give the homeless person food instead of money (but not canned food as they may not have a way to open the can). Some cities have scrip you can purchase and give to the homeless...it can only be used for specific food and care items, and not for liquor. Or, you can donate money to a homeless shelter or assistance group.

Usually, a respectful "No" is all that's needed...most homeless are harmless despite their appearance although I'd be a lot more way at night when many have been drinking.

An additional note here that surprised me and may surprise you too: I have a friend who works in a homeless shelter and she was telling us that many of the homeless people who beg at interesections (you've seen them, holding signs) can make up to $500.00 per day. That's insane! What motivation is there to get off the streets and work for a living? There is none! That's tax-free money in their pocket.

I agree with kenish. Do not give money. If you feel compelled to give something, a cup of coffee or a sandwich might be appreciated. I say "might"... I think you'll know from their reaction to your gift if they'd prefer the cash. :rolleyes:

One assumption that a lot of people are making here is that homeless = a threat to you. I have to disagree with that. Sure, there are some (not nearly all) homeless people who are aggressive with the panhandling, and some who are mentally ill or drunk or high. They can be annoying or unsettling, no question. A few of them go beyond that and are genuinely a danger to others--but then, that could be said for most anybody else you pass on the street, couldn't it?

There was a story in the news here recently that Pioneer Square (a neighborhood that has an odd mix of upscale shops and art galleries, popular bars and restaurants, and homeless shelters and soup kitchens) actually has about the same crime rate as Fremont (a very hip north-end neighborhood that's a mix of high-tech office buildings, shops, restaurants, and residential areas, and perceived to be much more safe and wholesome). Personally, when I walk through Pioneer Square, I feel a lot more threatened by the well-off drunken fools partying hard in the clubs and bars there than I ever do the homeless people on the streets!

Agree...I've never had a homeless person try to sell me a timeshare !!

One comment, especially to foreign visitors...don't give money to homeless people in US cities. Most will use it to buy drugs or liquor. If you want to help, give the homeless person food instead of money (but not canned food as they may not have a way to open the can). Some cities have scrip you can purchase and give to the homeless...it can only be used for specific food and care items, and not for liquor. Or, you can donate money to a homeless shelter or assistance group.

Usually, a respectful "No" is all that's needed...most homeless are harmless despite their appearance although I'd be a lot more way at night when many have been drinking.

LOL! So right!The average homeless person is FAR less aggressive than timeshare salespeople or hair braiders.

Viv

Viv

for Seattle visitors, if you see a guy on the corner selling a newspaper called Real Change they are homeless types trying to make a living by doing something honest and useful with their time. Buy the paper or give them $$ vs the panhandlers. Seattle has options for the homeless but I like the idea of supporting people trying to do something besides just begging. They buy the paper and normally sell them for $1.

Archived