Which cruise to choose for "free"?

I have not been able to cruise for several years and have built enough Royal Points to get a "free" ocean view cabin on a 5 or 7 night cruise. The maximum value they will credit is $2,500. My wife and I are looking at December 10-11 sailings. I have narrowed it to three choices. They are:

1. Freedom of the Seas with stops at Labadee, Falmouth, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. This is an easier drive from SC and would be the largest ship I have been on.

2. Allure of the Seas with stops at Nassau, St Thomas and St Maarten. Do I want to be on a ship that big? Will it seem overcrowded?

3. Navigator of the Seas with stops at St Maarten, St Kitts, San Juan and Labadee. For this one, I would get a credit of $1,250 rather than a "free" cruise, but it is 8 DAYS!!!!! Mariner is the largest ship I have been on and I am familiar with the layout.

I will probably upgrade to a balcony. Let me know your thoughts and suggestions. It may turn out to be a decision based on whichever choice costs less. I have not been to San Juan or Falmouth and have been to St Kitts once. Thanks for your help!

We have used ours for the Freedom and Oasis with the Allure being up next in 2012. We upgraded to a balcony for minimal$$.

Based on your choices I would go Allure, Navigator and Freedom.

Yes the Allure is big but it is well laid out. Tons of "new" things to do on that class of ship. The Oasis never seemed over crowded to us. One drawback is Nassau not the greatest stop.

Go on the Allure! You won't regret it. The ship is MASSIVE and you see A LOT of people around the ship but you rarely feel like you're in a crowd.

Don't worry so much about the ports of call. The main attraction is the ship, and during your cruise you'll be hard pressed to have the ability to see & do everything aboard.

We are redeeming our points for our cruise on Allure in October. We are upgrading to a balcony, as we are diamond members and can use our diamond discount. The Oasis class ships are a wonder at sea, and not to be missed. We are doing the Oasis the week before, and staying overnight in Fort Lauderdale, then boarding the Allure for our "freebie".

We have not been on the Oasis class ships yet, but have done Freedom, and Liberty twice. They ships have plenty of space per passenger and never crowded, other than first day in the windjammer, and when the shows let out, as with all the other ships.

We are redeeming our points for our cruise on Allure in October. We are upgrading to a balcony, as we are diamond members and can use our diamond discount. The Oasis class ships are a wonder at sea, and not to be missed. We are doing the Oasis the week before, and staying overnight in Fort Lauderdale, then boarding the Allure for our "freebie".

FYI...If you have not already done so check with RCI consecutive cruise desk it has been reported by good sources here that they consider this a b2b and will provide transportation and lodging (the night between cruises).

Oasis or Allure .. if you can choose whichever one you want. The price difference between a inside and a balcony is only about $200ish .. and even less than the OV to balcony.. so if they only charge the price difference, its still a good choice.

That is great that you have enough points to enjoy a cruise. While I have not cruised on Allure, I did get off of her sister ship, Oasis, a month ago and have sailed both Navigator and Freedom. While on Freedom, we did 7 day Western Caribbean (prior to Falmouth) and on Navigator, did the 7 day Eastern Caribbean (twice).

While I loved Oasis (or Allure in your case with a few changes), I feel that that ship is really too big for a 7 day cruise. I would love to see it do it a 10-14 day cruise and then I would sail it again. I didn't get to see or do everything I wanted to do.

If I had to choose between your choices, I would take the 8 day Navigator. There really isn't that much of a difference between the two (other than the Freedom having the Flow Rider and the H20 zone for kids-doesn't seem like a deal breaker to me) and would love to go to St. Kitts.

Whatever choice you make, happy cruising!!

Thanks, everyone, for the input! All of them offer something a little different in ship size and itinerary. My TA is busy this week with a daughter's wedding. The upgrade price to a balcony may impact the decision. When you compare the brand new Allure to Freedom (with a shorter drive) to Navigator (with 8 days and better ports), it is a difficult choice! The best part is that I will be happy with whatever choice we make and I will be saving money on a great vacation.

Thanks, everyone, for the input! All of them offer something a little different in ship size and itinerary. My TA is busy this week with a daughter's wedding. The upgrade price to a balcony may impact the decision. When you compare the brand new Allure to Freedom (with a shorter drive) to Navigator (with 8 days and better ports), it is a difficult choice! The best part is that I will be happy with whatever choice we make and I will be saving money on a great vacation.

Will they let you use a certificate that is for a 5 to 7 day cruise on a 8 nighter??

Will they let you use a certificate that is for a 5 to 7 day cruise on a 8 nighter??

No, but you can redeem the points for $1,250 off a cruise. Since the Allure and Freedom are higher priced now, it may be a wash. Ocean view cabins on Allure are about $2,500, the max, for two people. Navigator is much cheaper and Freedom is in the middle. I usually don't have much trouble selecting a cruise. I would not pay double for Allure, so maybe I should choose her while I am using points?

No, but you can redeem the points for $1,250 off a cruise. Since the Allure and Freedom are higher priced now, it may be a wash. Ocean view cabins on Allure are about $2,500, the max, for two people. Navigator is much cheaper and Freedom is in the middle. I usually don't have much trouble selecting a cruise. I would not pay double for Allure, so maybe I should choose her while I am using points?

Got it- That sounds like a good plan to me:) Good luck with your choice.

I booked NoS on Feb/4 with a JS for just over $1250pp when they first changed her from the Med to Caribbean. Went with the ports, as we had been to all the ports of Oasis and Allure, and liked the extra night and the larger cabin.

Archived