Things Kids DON'T do on a cruise ...

Andersoncd

Try our HAL Phillips Screwdriver: Milk of Magnesia and Orange Juice, so you can have your personal Smoothie every day: no strain, no pain.

Adult movies every night. Watch Shirley Temple and Bojangles go dancing up the stairs, hand in hand, as he puts her to bed. And then ... ??

We wheel out the best of the entertainers you knew as kids. And there's hardly any swearing, because almost all the words you hear today weren't invented then.

FOFLMHO

• 2 weeks later...

Let's face it, there are rude people in every age bracket. I have two teens who have cruised with us and we have found ourselves being embarrassed by both 'older' folks and their assumptive attitudes and spoiled kids. I am deeply annoyed by people who are impolite to the staff, in particular, just because they seem to have difficulty speaking English. They would never get away with treating American service staff that way. It is what I see as the 'ugly American' syndrome. I am a naturalized citizen and I cringe whenever I see it. I guess this is one of the down sides of my cruise experience.

What and excellant response Nancy. I was a little reluctant to respond at all , but I really got a kick out of your post. It's a little refreshing when a parent is aware and actually admits their kids "aren't perfect".

It's usually those "perfect little ones" that cause the headaches.

Bet you're a great mom.:)

All right, I'm one of those to "peg" teens into that "rude" peghole! I was VERY wrong on this cruise! There were as many children as adults on this cruise and the teens were by far the most polite and respectful group! WOW! I can't say enough about the parents who raised children like these! It gives me hope for society!:)

Adults don't:

[*]Run the corridors at 2 am, knocking on stateroom doors

[*]Run the corridors at 2 am, removing breakfast-order cards and other mail

Now if we're referring to adults as being anyone 18 years of age and older, I would have to differ with your points. On my last cruise there was a "pack" of young adults who found the need to be on the stairs near the aft elevators and chase each other up and down these same stairs, screaming and yelling. Unfortunately my cabin was right outside these stairs. When I went out to ask them politely to move their game to another location on the ship, I got sneered at, more or less told where to go, and endured the knocking on my stateroom door for about 15 minutes. Guess it was when I reported these "adults" by phoning the front desk that forced them to move on. I had to get up early for a shore excursion the next day so wanted to get some Zzzzz. This pack of idiots removed my breakfast card and my privacy card from the door before leaving but fortunately I had another card so got my breakfast on time in the end.

And then there was the cabin of middle aged women in the room next to me that insisted on talking about their assorted "romps" with various men...while out on the balcony! I found this amusing at first but when one of them was loudly and proudly revealing details of having oral sex with one of the Beach Boys, that was enough. What class....NOT!

As a single male that has no children, I like a mix of children on a ship. I would not go on a Disney cruise because of the number of children.

Blackbird'ss Rules on kids.

1) Blackbird likes other ppls kids and other ppls dogs, just does not need any of his own. :p

2) Blackbird likes his kids like his dogs, Housebroken. :p

3) As for teenagers..... :rolleyes:

10. And finally .... most kids don't stink, have foul breath, cough loudly, or blow their noses in the dining room

Two words ---- Poopy Diapers... :D

Now if we're referring to adults as being anyone 18 years of age and older,

On HAL ships, where the average passenger age tends to be about 65, middle-age begins at 50 and you're not an adult until you're 30. :D ;) At least, that's what I've read claimed by people who think that HAL is the geriatric cruise line.

On HAL ships, where the average passenger age tends to be about 65, middle-age begins at 50 and you're not an adult until you're 30. :D ;) At least, that's what I've read claimed by people who think that HAL is the geriatric cruise line.

LMAO!! You are so right! :D

Having only been on 1 cruise the only thing I can really add is anecdotal but I saw many children, 16 and under, go out of their way to be considerate and helping elderly strangers get things or hold things, but I rarely saw adults of any age go out of their way to be pleasant to children not related to them.

The worst offenders are those adults who get in a buffet line and hold conversations, loudly and inapproriately, and do not move forward and order when it's their turn. The help tries to get their attention but they're so engrossed in their world the do not acknowledge others around them, children and other adults alike. It seems the older the passenger the only manners are those that they demand of others not of themselves. If there ever was a time for the golden rule to be lived, it's on a ship of 1800 passengers and 600 crew, together for an extended period of time.

There used to be a song about kids and there was a line in it that said:

"Why can't they be like we were, perfect in every way?" I find that in some respects they come closer than my generation ever did. I got out of high school in '57. In many ways, the teens of today are more considerate than previous generations were. I think it might have to do with sensitivity awareness and that so many of them have "service hours" required for graduation. The only requirement of my generation was Grades and Pass the Constitution Test.

Himself

In general when we cruise travel we really prefer a break from kids. Having said that we took my 14 yr old step daughter and her friend on the Odam for mid winter break to Mexico. We had a S suite and put them in a inside cabin down the hall (friends mom did not want private veranda due to her own phobia, ok with us, cheaper). First, we would not have taken them on this cruise or given them thier own room if they were not good girls. Second, they had written rules to follow and knew that if they did not they would start loosing freedom. The rules included everything from no drugs, drinking or sex to no bad language, always show respect, don't block public areas, no running, no loud voices, and most important, dinner with us in the dining room every night. The first night they ran down the hall to get to thier room before midnight. We heard them and called the room. "did you just run down the hall" and thier answer "yes, how did you know". "We always know, don't do it again. You loose half hour on your curfew tomorrow night". That was the only time the rules were broken. They also thought that we "fixed" the door at night and would know if they opened the door. We did not but they thought we did. At dinner (their favorite part of the cruise. They loved dressing up every night. girls will be girls.) they would tell us stories about the other teens on the ship. Drinking, vandalism, a 15yr old girls having sex with two boys. Yikes!

Do these kids have parents? Our girls are not perfect but having parents that have expecations of thier behavior keeps them in check. They know that if they screw up then they would loose the vacation privilage and they loved this trip.

My favorite teenage girl story was a Med cruise on the Royal Princess. The RP has English stewdresses and cute too :D and I would talk with mine. One night I was walking down the hall and she just came out of a cabin with a bad look on her face. I asked what wrong and she said three teenage girls. She said that she could only do their bathroom and I asked why, she opened the door and said look, and there two to four inches of clothes covering all the floor space in the cabin. I asked where their parents were and she said two decks up.. Mmmm :D

Alright, I admit it - I cleaned the clothes up off the floor of my children's cabin every morning before breakfast! Every inch of floor was covered in clothes - daily, even the bathroom floor! Granted, they had to listen to me rant and rave! I was too embarrassed for the steward to see the slobs I raised. Someday they will be someone elses problem. HA!:D

• 5 weeks later...
[quote name='midgecruiser']In general when we cruise travel we really prefer a break from kids. Having said that we took my 14 yr old step daughter and her friend on the Odam for mid winter break to Mexico....First, we would not have taken them on this cruise or given them thier own room if they were not good girls. Second, they had written rules to follow and knew that if they did not they would start loosing freedom. The rules included everything from no drugs, drinking or sex to no bad language, always show respect, don't block public areas, no running, no loud voices, and most important, dinner with us in the dining room every night.

"Now kids, no drinking, drugs, or sex on this cruise...But more importantly, meet us for dinner."

Nothing more needs to be said here....

:eek:

Archived