Advice on which Water Camera to buy?

Not wanting to miss capturing the beautiful underwater life,we are in the process of buying an Underwater camera,

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated as don't want to mess up a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Also any recommendations on e readers would be great ....too many choices.:)

I presume the camera you are interested in is for snorkeling, not diving. I ask as a camera for diving needs to be rated to be watertight to a greater depth/pressure. Olympus makes a pretty good camera for snorkeling that is good to a depth of about 10 feet which should be more than adequate for snorkeling. If you are going to dive I would suggest you go to www.scubaboard.com and look under underwater photography. They have tons of resources and suggestions for both dive and snorkeling cameras.

I use an original, first generation, Kindle. I also have an i-Pad. Both sync to the library of books that I have purchased through Amazon. The i-Pad looks nicer but it is horrible in the sun and is much heaver then the Kindle. The Kindle is absolutely perfect and I cannot recommend it more highly. Included is the ability to download from Amazon wirelessly books. This download is available in the US, I believe there is also an option for overseas. The font size is easily adjustable and it is easy to read even in bright sunlight.

I can't comment about the underwater cameras (it's something I'm wondering about too), but as for e-book readers, I have a Sony. I've had mine for a couple of years so it's not the most up to date one, but I love it.

My concern with the Kindle is that the e-book format it uses is proprietary so you can only purchase e-books from Amazon. The Sony reads both .epub and .pdf files which is offered by many other retailers giving you the ability to shop around. Also, I don't know if you have this where you are, but at the local libraries where I live you can check out e-books for 7-14 day periods. The books they offer are also all .epub format so they won't work on a Kindle.

If all you are interested in is book reading then I'd definitely go for the Kindle. My wife has one, it small, light and good in the sun but not multi-functional. I like my iPad for all the other features, it also uses Kindle software so has the same reading functionality but is heavier (wrist-ache!) and as FlightMedic says is not great in the sun. Hopefully there will be some of that in FP....I'm booked as a first time PG cruiser on the 27th August.

I've also invested in an underwater video camera as that will give motion and still photos. I bought a Toshiba Camileo BW10, it compact, simple to use and works well in the fishpond but thats not a real road-test!

Three iconic reviews

http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2011/05/round-best-rugged-waterproof-compact-cameras

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterproofgroup/page2.asp

http://www.popphoto.com/gallery/5-best-waterproof-compact-cameras

Just remember getting "good" underwater is tricky and expect that without or just little practice that lightening will be the biggest challenge.

Not wanting to miss capturing the beautiful underwater life,we are in the process of buying an Underwater camera,

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated as don't want to mess up a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Also any recommendations on e readers would be great ....too many choices.:)

Do you mean the Kobo that's offered by Chapters-Indigo? If so I know several people who have one and they like them just fine. They are also really well priced.

When I bought my Sony a few years ago, e-books were just starting to come out and they were one of the few readers available. Now there are a lot more to choose from and the prices have come down. If I didn't already have one, I'd buy the Kobo.

My favorite is the Pentax W90. It's been all over the world under all conditions and it fits in your pocket. Takes great video too! They have a newer model that's even better.;)

I have a Fujifilm finpix underwater camera that works well. The pictures come out great. The only issue is that it is hard to see the screen in the water at times.

I also have the Samsung Galaxy tablet and I LOVE IT! It is not as heavy as the ipad but has a ton of internet features that the Kindle does not offer. I set the screen to the whitest it can go and I can read in the sun with a slight glare. It has no glare in the shade.

It downloads epub, PDF AND all Kindle books. If you get the program Calibre on your home computer you can download any book (except Kindle) and convert it to an epub format. Then you just download all your books onto the tablet.

I have a Fujifilm finpix underwater camera that works well. The pictures come out great. The only issue is that it is hard to see the screen in the water at times.

I also have the Samsung Galaxy tablet and I LOVE IT! It is not as heavy as the ipad but has a ton of internet features that the Kindle does not offer. I set the screen to the whitest it can go and I can read in the sun with a slight glare. It has no glare in the shade.

It downloads epub, PDF AND all Kindle books. If you get the program Calibre on your home computer you can download any book (except Kindle) and convert it to an epub format. Then you just download all your books onto the tablet.

Oh I'm lusting after the Galaxy Tab! It such a great size. Right now I'mr eading my ebooks on my HTC Desire Android, and that's fine, but looking forward to something a bit biger, but still small enough to throw in my purse.

If you get the program Calibre on your home computer you can download any book (except Kindle) and convert it to an epub format. Then you just download all your books onto the tablet.

You actually can convert Kindle format (.mobi I think?) using Calibre but you can't convert any files that are DRM'd (ie protected) which most books you buy regardless of the format they come in will be. It's apparent however that a lot of people have figured out how the circumvent the DRM coding. Sony has it's own software that comes with their e-book readers, but I far prefer Calibre for organizing my library. Calibre also has the advantage of being free for download.

You actually can convert Kindle format (.mobi I think?) using Calibre but you can't convert any files that are DRM'd (ie protected) which most books you buy regardless of the format they come in will be. .

Thanks for the heads up. Amazon automatically puts my Kindle books on the tablet so I haven't tried. I just remember reading that it didn't convert one type of file (I thought it was kindle).

Wendy if you get a chance to buy the new Galaxy, it will be 4G. I now don't know how I lived without the thing!

I have the Galaxy Tab as well and use the Calibre program to convert books. While I wouldn't have bought an e-reader I have found it to be great. It is small enough to throw in your handbag and I can get my emails and the internet and have downloaded Skype so I can talk to my daughters while we are away. Perfect for travelling!

I have the Galaxy Tab as well and use the Calibre program to convert books. While I wouldn't have bought an e-reader I have found it to be great. It is small enough to throw in your handbag and I can get my emails and the internet and have downloaded Skype so I can talk to my daughters while we are away. Perfect for travelling!

On that subject... if you have 3G with Verizon or AT&T do you also have to buy the Internet service on board?

On that subject... if you have 3G with Verizon or AT&T do you also have to buy the Internet service on board?

From what I waas told by Verizon, 3G is only in the US. On the trip you would have to buy the wireless service through the ship or go to an internet cafe on land.

I'm still debating on if I want to talk to the outside world or not on the trip:D

From what I waas told by Verizon, 3G is only in the US. On the trip you would have to buy the wireless service through the ship or go to an internet cafe on land.

I'm still debating on if I want to talk to the outside world or not on the trip:D

Good to know. Won't waste my money on activating the 3G then. I know what you mean. We are thinking we need to just disappear for that two weeks. We're way too connected anyway. It won't be paradise if we bring home with us. ...not that home isn't good...

Couldn't really tell you sorry. I only use the internet when I am in a wireless area and am not really planning on using it in Tahiti as I will just send the girls texts to say 'hello' but when in the US and elsewhere most of the hotels have free wireless and it is great.

Greatly Blessed I bought mine from JB HiFi here in Melbourne, they were selling them off because there is a new version coming out. Don't know if it's out yet but very glad I bought mine, even convinced my Mum that she needed one for travel as well. She loves it and has downloaded a library of books! Don't know when she plans on reading them all! I put a few games on for her as well and she thinks it is just the best thing. :)

As far as e readers go I don't think we can get the Galaxy tab here in Australia.......

The new Kobe looks like it will be good but it doesn't get to Australia before I leave for the cruise.

What to do?????:eek:

We can get Kobo, and I looked at one e-reader - but Kindle is not "freely available" here in NZ. It is available in Australia - and even FIJI!

I have found a trader who brings them into the country (on Trade Me - our local version of e-bay) and we can always shop direct with Amazon, but it's cutting it too close. So I will put it on my birthday list, got to have something to look forward to after our slice of paradise:)

Thank you for all the info, I have tried to look at a Canon D 10 camera but they don't seem to have them here in Australia anymore,

The Lumix Panasonic seems the most popular.

Has anyone else got this camera?

All the Aussies we met last year in Fiji were sporting Panasonic Lumix. The Canon D10 rates well, but is slightly more "bulbous" and not the thing to "slip in your pocket" like the Panasonic.:)

What colour did you get Susie? And what depth does it go to?:confused:

Archived